collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution  (Read 34651 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
In terms of putting in the money, Randy has been incredible for us.

What concerns me is the fact that for a while now we've been showing distinct signs of really rank disorganisation. Seeing the mess we are in now as some kind of conspiracy between the press and the bookies is laughable. The press wouldn't be taking the piss out of us now if there wasn't anything to take the piss out of in the first place.

I thought they got dropped into an awful situation when O'Neill left, but really, these are the perfect circumstances in which to be finding a new manager, yet still we seem to have managed to waste the six weeks warning we had.

The "we don't talk to the press" stance is fine in principle, but then why on earth have the general randomly dropping stuff on here and other forums which the press seize on? Why make it so hard on them in one sense, but so easy in another?

I have no doubt that the board are good intentioned, but I think they have underestimated how cut throat and hypocritical the industry is (and quite frankly, if the flip side of being the industry nice guy is that we get nowhere, then there needs to be a rethink on that policy), and have been naive in thinking you can do all this without a big chunk of football knowledge on the board.

The could fix a lot of this mess tomorrow if they wanted. They could get Steve Stride back in. They won't, though, and the club will suffer for it.

Rank disorganisation - I know things are not going how people want them at the moment but that comment is a bit over the top.

The media have been waiting to get at Randy Lerner.  There are many football writers who do not like Americans being involved in English football.  First it was the Glaziers, then it was Hicks and Gillette and now it is Randy's turn.  Ever since (or even before) MON left when a few cracks started to appear, they have been turning the screw.  They feel that now is their time.  There may be some truth in what has been printed at times but the vast majority has been an utter load of crap.

With regards to your comment about Steve Stride, as much as he was an experienced administrator, you never go back, always forward.

If people really believe in the club, now is the time to circle the wagons and let things take their course.  Randy will make up his own mind on what he wants to do and to be honest I have not seen much wrong to date.  He does things in his own time but at times that is not a bad thing.  If Randy makes a mistake now, he will have made his own bed and will have to lie in it.

Like others, I think the board should be strengthened with a couple of 'football' experienced non-execs.  I am also a believer in a club manager system (less powerful than a DoF), with the club manager being the club's voice in media matters.

This is not a kangaroo court and the OP, although well intentioned in starting a discussion, has gone over the top in the style of the topic (in my opinion).

As I said above, time to circle the wagons, the cowboys are coming.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 12:21:50 AM »
I dont mind having Lerner in charge, its the Faulkner guy I dislike.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »
Big Ron played crap football?? What are you on about Sam?

Think it was meant to be ironic Phil

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »
Randy is the best owner we have had and is a Villa man, we should not be questioning his committment to Villa, in my opinion!

I understand where you're coming from, but opinions are subjective. I believe we should question, not necessarily for the sake of it [though that's sometimes justified to encourage debate], but definitely when it's warranted.
Were you questioning Randy when he put £150 million into the team?

He's invested about half that figure in the squad when you take into account the value of players sold. He's also placed nearly a £100m of debt on the club and charged more than £11m in management fees and interest payments in just one year.

That doesn't make him a bad chairman/owner, they're just some of the facts of the matter.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
Good owner but there are big problems somewhere. Allowing the general to tell everyone on facebook mccleash is made for us (if true) is also pretty amateur and unprofessional.

Offline mark1968

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2011, 01:28:13 AM »
We've had so many problems/issues since MON left. The appointment of his successor and waiting for him to take his post. Kit issues, new sponsor pulling out, finding a new sponsor, awaiting details of next season's kit now.

It does appear at times, that they have little idea of running a football club.

But i have no doubt that Randy is genuine and wants to do whats best for us. But we hear of Cleveland Browns fans opinions on his running of their franchise and they seem to think he's pretty incompetent; is he just not cut out to run a top club?

I worry about our nicely nice approach, it seems we're scared to upset anyone and poach a manager. But if you want the best you can get, you dont really have a choice.

If randy were to leave, we could regret it big time. More and more foreign investors are taking control of clubs now. We could easily end up with someone like Carson Yeung or those Indian chicken owners who came in all guns firing and fired the guy (Sam Allardyce) whose most likely to keep anyone up!
We could easily end up shedding a few tears if we lost Randy!

I do think Randy needs to bring in someone like Graham Taylor or Houllier and get some sound advice and experience on all footballing issues. Because we seem to be lacking/nieve with addressing ongoing issues.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »
I see nothing in the thread that is not worth debating and some of the replies are simply cringeworthy for this site. I would think most supporters would agree that getting rid of all the experienced backroom people at Villa Park was nothing short of disasterous. Faulkner, Randy and the General new F/A about running a premiership football club and it has shown. He has thrown a lot of money around and supported his managers but if you have not got the right people at the top you are doomed to failure.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »
Dont worry Topdeck,i and and couple of friends of mine agree with you fully. Defence dismissed.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
Randy is a great owner and has really brought us back to the big time. However, the board lacks football knowledge and just have no clue how to go about finding a manager.

As I've said before, I just get a bad vibe off Faulkner. I think we'd be better off without.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »
This is like when your missus goes to the shops and slagging off her purchases before she's even got to Sainsbury's.

If when she gets back she's only bought some aubergines and a packet of tampax then I'll get the hump but she might still come back with loads of food and got me a few bottles of beer.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:43:46 AM by Chris Smith »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
Until now, there has been nothing but positives concerning Randy Lerner. I really hope it stays that way.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »
Haven't read the thread, but what I'd say is that without question Randy is a well meaning chairman.  The Acorns thing, funding transfers and various other bits and pieces say to me that he 100% has his heart in the right place.

Whether or not he's a smooth enough operator in the cut throat world of football we're about to find out......

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
Good owner but there are big problems somewhere. Allowing the general to tell everyone on facebook mccleash is made for us (if true) is also pretty amateur and unprofessional.

The big proviso is "if true" - bit IF it was true it seems bizarre that forums like H & V would set up a secure area in order to deflect some of the media scrutiny on the General's statements, only for him to go blabbing to all & sundry on Facebook.

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »
Randy Lerner is a good owner for an upper mid table club who can push for the top 6.  He is not a good onwer for a club with champions league aspirations

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »
Randy Lerner is a good owner for an upper mid table club who can push for the top 6.  He is not a good onwer for a club with champions league aspirations

There are some short memories on here but even if this is true, what would you do about it?.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal