collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 09:41:22 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:39:17 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delph - Are we ready for the future?  (Read 17022 times)

Offline VillaZogmariner

Re: Delph - Are we ready for the future?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
If money is that tight then I'd be doing all I could to get Reo-Coker to sign a new contract. Tell him that his job in the team is to break down the play of the other side and then just play the simple pass to either Delph or Makoun. Not to try anything fancy.

A midfield 3 of them would work perfectly I think.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
I think that midfield has the potential to be good,but two of them are still finding their feet at PL level.

So i'd like us to get another midfielder in during the summer,i wonder how much it depends on getting rid of that useless tool Ireland.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
I like NRC and want him to stay, but I don't think he offers enough to be first choice.  The point about Delph and Makoun being relatively inexperienced is a good one, so the third player would need to know the league.

All points to Scott Parker for me!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 03:54:31 PM »
I like NRC and want him to stay, but I don't think he offers enough to be first choice.  The point about Delph and Makoun being relatively inexperienced is a good one, so the third player would need to know the league.

All points to Scott Parker for me!

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
i wonder how much it depends on getting rid of that useless tool Ireland.

Keep forgetting about him.  He didn't make the squad for Newcastle yesterday.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:02 PM »
If money is that tight then I'd be doing all I could to get Reo-Coker to sign a new contract. Tell him that his job in the team is to break down the play of the other side and then just play the simple pass to either Delph or Makoun. Not to try anything fancy.

Reo Coker is not good enough to do that role. Need a player with better aerial power, two feet and an eye for goals on occaions. Sounds very much like Gary Gardner to me ???
A midfield 3 of them would work perfectly I think.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
As much as Ireland is a fruit cake and a hater of Birmingham to boot, he could be the answer if we can get him sorted. Depends who the manager is I guess.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
As much as Ireland is a fruit cake and a hater of Birmingham to boot, he could be the answer if we can get him sorted. Depends who the manager is I guess.

Well unless it's Jesus Christ almighty I say fuck him off to anybody who'll give us something for him.
He might have been the answer, but right now he's only the answer to; what's nutty as Squirrel shit and sits on 70 grand a week?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »

He would only be the answer if you were playing Spot the Looney.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »

He would only be the answer if you were playing Spot the Looney.

I agree.  If we have to cut our loses to get rid of him, then we need to do it.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »
Unfortunately, I think Player of The Year Scott Parker will be looking elsewhere.  It would probably take some convincing to get him to move to a club who narrowly avoided the drop from one that didn't, particularly if the likes of Tottingham are circling.

As for Delph, he's ideal for a three or five man midfield. I probably would be a wee bit concerned if he was in the centre in a straight 4-4-2 - at least in the short term. But then it took Gareth Barry until his mid 20's to be comfortable in the position. Delph has still got plenty of time on his hands.

Providing he feels part of the set up and features in 15-20 games next year, we should be OK on that front. Obviously form will dictate that too, if he's so good that he can't be left out, even better.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
Parker has at best one or two seasons at the highest level. A big no from me. He also doesn't really strike me as what we need. He is more of an all-rounder than a defensive midfielder who can shield players like Bannan, Delph and Makoun.

As for Delph I think he has the makings of a decent player albeit I'm not certain of whether he will be a guaranteed starter next season or indeed whether his best role is as a playmaker or as an attacking midfielder. Yesterday was a mixed bag and probably a difficult game for a young midfielder to have the opportunity to impress. I'd like him to get another game against Liverpool. He needs games both to acclimatise and also for us to assess the depth of his role. In all honesty I'm more concerned about Makoun than Delph as a player for next season.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 04:55:18 PM »
If we're looking for a deep-sitting, defensive midfielder to complement Delph and Makoun, let's see what Hogg or Herd are capable of doing next season.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
I really want Delph to be a success because I think he is the sort of signing villa should make more often.  Not every young prodigy will make it of course but if one or two of them get good then villa will benefit hugely both on the pitch and financially.

Reading these comments makes me think the Villa should offer NRC a decent deal and buy a young destroyer who we can afford to give a season to acclimatise.  IF NRC asks for stupid money then Petrov can be the experienced head (just substituted more frequently).

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »

For me he looked as if he lacked match practice yday, but he has it all, a good pass, can tackle, good acceleration, good on the ball, composed.

Last year against Ure at home, and Bolton away, he was the best player on the pitch.I think he has the potential to be as good as, if not better , than Wilsire tbh.Play him against Lplop.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal