collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we mathematically safe? - Yes  (Read 47290 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Are we mathematically safe?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
We are not safe now? We have 3 Game to get the win Stoke/WBA/Wigan but we can not.
Still need new manager.

Precisely. We've pissed away points that should've been there for the taking, and now we're relying on games away to Arsenal and home to Liverpool, games we should be able to afford to lose without too much compromise, to get the point that'll make us safe.
Gary Mac  thinks the Arsenal and Liverpool are games where the team can "enjoy themselves " even though we are not 100 % safe.Unbelievable

Then he's an idiot.

Offline nadz3488

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
Define "enjoy themselves".

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
Just did the BBC predictor and the following results would take us down:

Wolves beat West Brom at home
Blackpool beat Bolton at home
Wolves win at Sunderland
We get spanked at Arsenal (say 4-0)
Bham beat Fulham
Wigan beat West Ham
We lose to Liverpool (say 3-0)
Blackpool win at Old Trafford
Wigan win at Stoke
Wolves beat Blackburn at home

The chances of all those results, with a sufficient goal swing, is almost unimaginable. It would take teams who have barely been able to put two good results together to win all their remaining games. But it's not absolutely inconceivable.

If West Brom equalise today, it would take Blackburn to win all their remainign games along with a perfect storm of results elsewhere to do it.

I think it would probably qualify as the most unlucky relegation in history!

1 down !!!
Getting scary now.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
The saddest thing is that most of us, including me, are assuming there is zero chance of getting the job done ourselves with a result against arse or liverpool. Even though both have lost against some garbage this year. I don't even trust them not to piss away our GD.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
Blackburn could yet be relegated. It's quite possible that they'll lose to Man Utd and at Wolves leaving them still on 39 points which probably won't be enough. Even Blose might yet go down if they lose or just get a point against Fulham, I reckon Spurs will want to finish on a high in their last home game. So even though Wigan, West Ham and Blackpool look most likely there's others who could yet be dragged into it - but I think we'll be ok. Just crap though to be stillthinking this way!! Glad when it's all over!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
We are not safe now? We have 3 Game to get the win Stoke/WBA/Wigan but we can not.
Still need new manager.

Precisely. We've pissed away points that should've been there for the taking, and now we're relying on games away to Arsenal and home to Liverpool, games we should be able to afford to lose without too much compromise, to get the point that'll make us safe.
Gary Mac  thinks the Arsenal and Liverpool are games where the team can "enjoy themselves " even though we are not 100 % safe.Unbelievable

Then he's an idiot.

I heard him say that as well. And even though I think we're safe, he's still a bell end for saying it.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
The saddest thing is that most of us, including me, are assuming there is zero chance of getting the job done ourselves with a result against arse or liverpool. Even though both have lost against some garbage this year. I don't even trust them not to piss away our GD.

And that's because the crap teams that have beaten Arsenal and Liverpool (Wolves, Blackpool, etc.) have at least got a bit of bottle and fight about them.  Something we're sadly lacking.

The fact that we're even discussing this with two games to go is a disgrace.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
And the loyal crowd will still flock to put money in the coffers of the rich.
We deserve more than to be also rans for the last 30 years which except for that blip you can say the last 50 years. We are not the Grimsbys or exeters of this world who grimly hang on by the skin of teeth year on year dependant on the loyalty of their genuine fans.
We are somehow bigger than that and contibute significantly more and have spread the gospel far and wide but the anthem and banners are wearing thin on the long crusade.
Unless the Villa get some results worthy of our history we are a spent force and as fans are having our money sequestered under false pretences.
MON started well and did well and had a longterm plan. For a fleeting moment I thought something might be happening; something to be proud of again. 6th wasn't good enough and he is gone. Houllier has/had a long term plan but likely he is gone.
I am still waiting for Lerner's longterm plan to manifest itself.
I don't want to see Villa playing lower division teams ever again. It nearly came to pass but we're saved now.
The nature of the long-suffering oppressed of Birmingham found relief in the performance of their team. Now we need that boost more than ever.
The Owners are taking the piss. The fans need to demonstrate the fact in the way they have long come to know. either by carrying banner to express ire or just plain staying away until it dawns on Randy what he is dealing with. the Club is nothing without its support and we should not be remotely happy the position we are in presently.
It is a relief not to be going into a lower division but I am still concerned as to plans for the future that will not only keep us in the Premiership but challenge for Top 4 position. People's lifetimes have passed watching limited moments of excellence that turn to dross because of managerial/ownership failings.
I've been going long enough and seen the same thing again and again as did my father who first put in seedling of doubt in there when he said they were more interested in taking you money at the turnstiles than giving true value for money.
Rant over..We used to play the Chelsea's Man U off the park one time..
I want to see it again..some sort of hazy dream told by an elder?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:05:55 PM by Brian Taylor »

Offline sfx412

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
Still need new manager.

Then he's an idiot.

Yes

Offline Mark Samuels

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »
Mathematically safe? No.

But most bookies, from what I can see, aren't even accepting bets on the Villa being relegated: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

However, the key point is that - in an unlikely combination of circumstances - we could go down. And that, given the money we've spent on this squad, is all you need to know about AVFC 2010/11. Awful, awful season.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
And the loyal crowd will still flock to put money in the coffers of the rich.
We deserve more than to be also rans for the last 30 years which except for that blip you can say the last 50 years. We are not the Grimsbys or exeters of this world who grimly hang on by the skin of teeth year on year dependant on the loyalty of their genuine fans.
We are somehow bigger than that and contibute significantly more and have spread the gospel far and wide but the anthem and banners are wearing thin on the long crusade.
Unless the Villa get some results worthy of our history we are a spent force and as fans are having our money sequestered under false pretences.
MON started well and did well and had a longterm plan. For a fleeting moment I thought something might be happening; something to be proud of again. 6th wasn't good enough and he is gone. Houllier has/had a long term plan but likely he is gone.
I am still waiting for Lerner's longterm plan to manifest itself.
I don't want to see Villa playing lower division teams ever again. It nearly came to pass but we're saved now.
The nature of the long-suffering oppressed of Birmingham found relief in the performance of their team. Now we need that boost more than ever.
The Owners are taking the piss. The fans need to demonstrate the fact in the way they have long come to know. either by carrying banner to express ire or just plain staying away until it dawns on Randy what he is dealing with. the Club is nothing without its support and we should not be remotely happy the position we are in presently.
It is a relief not to be going into a lower division but I am still concerned as to plans for the future that will not only keep us in the Premiership but challenge for Top 4 position. People's lifetimes have passed watching limited moments of excellence that turn to dross because of managerial/ownership failings.
I've been going long enough and seen the same thing again and again as did my father who first put in seedling of doubt in there when he said they were more interested in taking you money at the turnstiles than giving true value for money.
Rant over..We used to play the Chelsea's Man U off the park one time..
I want to see it again..some sort of hazy dream told by an elder?

I agree with all of this.  Birmingham's major club should, in theory, be able to compete with any other major team in the country - that surely has to be the minimum to our expectations?  Anything less is totally selling ourselves and our region short.  This is a big summer for us and I expect/hope Randy to show strong, ambitious, winning leadership.

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »
Sky have just had the relegation run in and we weren't mentioned from the bit I saw.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
Mathematically safe? No.

But most bookies, from what I can see, aren't even accepting bets on the Villa being relegated: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

However, the key point is that - in an unlikely combination of circumstances - we could go down. And that, given the money we've spent on this squad, is all you need to know about AVFC 2010/11. Awful, awful season.

You'd be better off betting on the sequence/combination of results that could send us down.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »

Go on, you lead a protest against Randy.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

Go on, you lead a protest against Randy.

Are you happy with the way the club has been run this season then Dave?  I should imagine you'd be in a very small minority if you were.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal