collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Board must take its share of the blame - General C Krulak  (Read 29509 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Board must take its share of the blame - General C Krulak
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
I disagree. He's not only ideal for an upstairs role, he's already proved himself in one.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
I disagree. He's not only ideal for an upstairs role, he's already proved himself in one.

Exactly.  I think we have a really good asset in GH in finding players and building scout networks etc.  We just need a proven manager who is willing to work in this system should we decide this is the way forward.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
Exactly.  I think we have a really good asset in GH in finding players and building scout networks etc.  We just need a proven manager who is willing to work in this system should we decide this is the way forward.

That, to me, screams 'overseas manager'.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »

There lies the problem.

How do you draw the boundaries on this?
Will the coach have to use Houllier's suggested signings?

I'm not sure too many quality Manager's would like having Houllier whispering in their ears, they would want a bigger role than that.

I could only see the likes of McAllister agreeing to be Houllier's bone.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »

Where?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »

Where?
There was the unsubstantiated rumour about him dressing up in his wife's clothes, in the loft.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
Right now, and this is just my opinion, I dont think anybody close to the club expects Houllier to be back in the hot seat next season. I also think that whilst nothing will be said whilst Houllier is recovering, efforts to find our new manager have already begun and may have done a while ago, with Houllier moving upstairs.

...and I don't think GH would want to go back in the hot-seat after the season he's had and the health scare - I don't the Dr's will be advising he gets back into front-line management.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
I agree that the Blues are a going nowhere outfit of human excrement, but it's still rank incomptence on our part that they won a trophy, at our expense.

As Chris Smith said on another thread, O'Neill (and I hate him) would never have let their lot beat us in the League cup.

How short memories are

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
I agree that the Blues are a going nowhere outfit of human excrement, but it's still rank incomptence on our part that they won a trophy, at our expense.

As Chris Smith said on another thread, O'Neill (and I hate him) would never have let their lot beat us in the League cup.

How short memories are

You remember a time when O'Neill would've let Blues beat us in the League Cup?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »

How short memories are

You remember a time when O'Neill would've let Blues beat us in the League Cup?
As I mentioned on another thread, you're assuming we'd have beaten Blackburn and Burnley. Does the name QPR ring any bells?

As for the board, I remember last summer we were discussing whether or not the board had a contingency plan, should MON walk away or get his wish and go to Anfield. Obviously they didn't and must take the blame for that. The other thing they were responsible for was allowing us to be put is such a ridiculous position whereby a manager walked out 5 days before the season started, taking 5 of his team with him. MON was allowed far too much control over the running of the club.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:16:08 PM by Mark Kelly »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
Oh good, another Houllier thread.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »

That, to me, screams 'overseas manager'.

It screams to me "young, up and coming Manager who will be grateful for getting such a big job and would be happy to have the old fella peering over their shoulder".  Paul Lambert, Simon Grayson types.  I'd hope we would go for a more experienced Premier League Manager.

Interesting spin on the recent General K VT entry from the Dail Mail and Sunday Mail, they say Randy Lerner is taking the blame.  Rags, absolute rags.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »

Where?

France. He was instrumental in setting up the Clairefontaine academy, which ultimately helped France win the World Cup and European Championships and is still very much an elite and productive set up. He's also been technical director for the FFF.
Whilst not a Director of football or technical directot role at a Premier League club, he's had good experience of "upstairs roles".

I guess that I'm concerned we have few men at the club who are truly plugged into the wider world of football and dont want to be in a position where one man has all the power again. Especially one who is narrow minded and refuses to look abroad or think too far ahead, to develop the scouting and coaching infrastructure. A man like Houllier is a champion of these causes. We need it. I'd be loathe to lose his value completely just because he isnt well enough to manage anymore.
I also strongly believe he can peform a role at the club without being in any new managers face.

Mr Woodhall has a point though. This is in danger of becoming another Houllier thread. In truth I forget which one is which now.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »
In danger?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »
Well, it's rare times indeed at Villa when the buck doesn't stop with the manager. Or the previous one. Or the next one....etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal