collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by danno
[Today at 05:02:46 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by danno
[Today at 05:02:46 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa, 100% genius - Danny Baker now on Twitter  (Read 23381 times)

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: 0% Villa, 100% genius - Danny Baker now on Twitter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
Genius? No I don't think so. But, he has always been an excellent broadcaster. People like Baker just don't get on the radio anymore. Instead we have dullards like Ronnie Irani, Spurs/Liverpool/Barnsley fan Darren Gough and Mickey Quinn who must be on a commission for the number of times he says "eeeeeerrm" during a programme.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
Can I ask what happened in the last decade?  I'm sure at one point it was all the rage to consider Danny Baker a cockney wanka with a loud mouth.   Now it seems people can't get enough of him - oh, and he's a genius.

Is it just that all the other football media today is so bad, or was he not such wanker after all?

I can never remember any time when Danny wasn't considered an all-round top man.
Fair enough and to be fair I've never had a problem with him, but for some reason I don't remember him being received quite as universally as he is now.

He had a radio 1 show which didn't work too well with the listeners because he was more interested in talking than playing music, and the music he did play was pretty different to the playlist.  The show failed and his stock dropped for a time, maybe that's the period you're thinking of.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:16:36 AM by not3bad »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »
I remember the show he used to do after the game on a saturday, have you met a famous footballer or have you ever been to ones house to do repairs or have you ever repossesed anything from a footballer that type of thing. I used to love it especially after an away game.

He's great maybe we should use this thread to post his tweets so I don't have to sign up to the god awful thing

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Can I ask what happened in the last decade?  I'm sure at one point it was all the rage to consider Danny Baker a cockney wanka with a loud mouth.   Now it seems people can't get enough of him - oh, and he's a genius.

Is it just that all the other football media today is so bad, or was he not such wanker after all?

I can never remember any time when Danny wasn't considered an all-round top man.
Fair enough and to be fair I've never had a problem with him, but for some reason I don't remember him being received quite as universally as he is now.

He had a radio 1 show which didn't work too well with the listeners because he was more interested in talking than playing music, and the music he did play was pretty different to the playlist.  The show failed and his stock dropped for a time, maybe that's the period you're thinking of.

It's a shame that its not happened with Chris Moyles all he does is talk shit and repeat himself

Offline 144 Hard Boiled Eggs

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »

I like him because of his music pedigree (fanzines, NME in the punk era) and the original 606 all those years ago. I think what riled a lot of people a few years ago was that he seemed to fail to aknowledge that his beloved Millwall had a bigger nutcase problem than most clubs and how dodgy it was to go there. One programme I seem to remember had several Millwall fans moaning about getting a bit of a pasting at Small Heath with him being slightly put out that such a thing could happen.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
I like Danny Baker always makes me chuckle.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
Some people were born to be on the radio and Baker is one of the few that are still broadcasting.

Radio is now full of TV stars, comedians and ex reality TV people who have no broadcasting skills whatsoever but are employed on name only.

A prime example is Zoe Ball who is covering for Ken Bruce on Radio 2 this week. her idea of entertaining radio is to talk about her husband and fucking famly all morning.
She really gets on my nerves,shoe horning her shitty husband into every sentence,makes me wanna move out of Brighton.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
He used to go on about how Millwall fans invaded the PA box and took over the mic at Villa some time in the 70s, he's the only person I've heard make mention of this.

His friendship with new found football fan Chris Evans and the nights out with Gazza around Euro96 got on my nerves a bit, it was more Evans than Danny to be fair.

606 shouldn't be about offsides and sack the manager, it should be about the daft little stories Baker used to promote, I remember a Sheff Utd fan questioning why women were allowed priority over men when queing for a cup semi final ticket.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Yeah,i think he had negative press when Gazza went on his bender around the time of the 98 world cup.

I've always thought he was a top man and broadcaster.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »

There was a shortish period in the early-mid 90s when he was everywhere - advertising Daz, Mars Bars and had his own late-night chatshow, which I remember as being pretty crap - I think he compared Hootie and The Blowfish to The Beatles.  He was pretty much everywhere.

If he does have a reputation amongst some, it probably derives from there. 

However, on the radio, he's as good a broadcaster as we have (or that I'm aware of).  Whether it's about football, music or general ephemera, he's always engaging and entertaining.  He makes it look easy - and you can tell it's not when you listen to Alan Davies or Christian O'Connell who have tried to replace him.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
Thank God for his return - any more Richard Bacon and I will die.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
He once claimed that the whole of a Fergal Sharkey LP was played at Villa Park during half time. Tricky in that half time in those days was only 10 minutes, so he used a huge amount of comic license, but then because he makes things funny you tend to let it pass.

In related news, Monday afternoon, Andy Goldstein in for Paul Hawksbee on Talksport?

Click.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
He's got a large loyal cult following.
What is the 4th line to the top cat theme?!

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Talksport?

Click.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »
Danny Baker is clever and funny with an engaging personal charm as a broadcaster. His radio shows make the world a slightly better place, long may he continue.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal