collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Risso
[Today at 03:46:01 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:45:09 PM]

Champions League Contention by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 03:44:01 PM]

Robin Olsen by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:41:03 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:34:52 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 03:46:01 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:45:09 PM]

Re: FFP by Goldenballs
[Today at 03:44:29 PM]

Re: FFP by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:44:21 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 03:44:01 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:41:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Ads
[Today at 03:35:39 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:34:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: It was 25 years today Oxford United V Aston Villa League cup 2nd Leg  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Eastleighvilla

Yes, 25 years today, when Graham Turner's team surrendered to Jim Smith's (Robert Maxwell's owned)
Oxford United in the second leg of the League cup Semi-Final, The first leg at Villa Park ended 2-2, I know
Paul Birch scored that particular night, Most Villa Supporters travelling to Oxford on that fateful night had hopes and expectations of a chance of going to Wembley to lift the gloom on an awful season, but we delivered a shambolic pathetic display, when you consider what was at stake, Oxford scored two goals in the second half, there was never any doubt, Mark Walters scored a consolation in the final few minutes which was probably our only effort on target, At the end of the match, Many suppporters threw their scarves at or our over the fences, It was a real low point, Perhaps one of the worst performances ever, considering. I remember stopping for a pint or two in woodstock and rumours had it, that the Official Villa Team coach had stopped off for food etc, but supporters noticed this and charged at the bus, making them disappear.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: It was 25 years today Oxford United V Aston Villa League cup 2nd Leg
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
One of the all time lows when we realised that we really were on the slide - remember we'd only won the European Cup 4 years before. I also remember going back to Brum in the car through thick fog. Shite, shite, shite - and after that great display at highbury

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
I went to the home leg (with just 23,000 present for a semi final) but not the away one when we were knocked out with little resistance.  Does anyone remember us losing 4-1 at home to Arsenal just days before the Manor Ground episode when a crowd of Villa fans demonstrated outside the dressing rooms?  I was one of those.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Oxford
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
By coincidence I am watching Oxford away to Port Vale. Spooky eh?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
My Oxford United supporting mate reminds me of this every time I see him, it was their big day at wembley and they won but my god we were bad.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
I remember one very overcrowded away end standing behind the goal that night. Our team was so poor back then it was a blessing we didn't make the final.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
I went to the home leg (with just 23,000 present for a semi final) but not the away one when we were knocked out with little resistance.  Does anyone remember us losing 4-1 at home to Arsenal just days before the Manor Ground episode when a crowd of Villa fans demonstrated outside the dressing rooms?  I was one of those.

Me too. To our eternal shame we booed Allan Evans.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »
I remembr the away leg at the Manor Ground

queing up for hours outside Villa Park to get our tickets

Going to Oxford in the back of my mate's mini - I think there were 6 of us in there. It stunk and was very cramped

Crushes in the Villa end

Seeing Villa fans setting fire to their scarves and chucking them on the pitch in disgust after the game.

Looking back, Oxford really did have a handy team but it wasn't easy to take defeat against them at the time.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »
That was a horrible, horrible night.

Knocked off sixth form college early, piled into my mate's mom's Maxi, down to Oxford, impressed by poshness of the surrounding area around the ground, stuffed in a cage which I seem to recall mercifully obscured most of the view, then back up in a sombre mood, punctuated by us trying to find somewhere decent to get a drink on the way back, failing, and it descending into a massive argument.

Horrible evening.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »

Yes, 25 years today, when Graham Turner's team surrendered to Jim Smith's (Robert Maxwell's owned) Oxford United...

Maurice Evans' Oxford Utd.  Smith had left the previous summer - after falling out with Maxwell - and was manager of the QPR team that lost to Oxford in the final.

I was doing the sandwich year of my degree and living in Hull.  I'd gone down for the first leg, but didn't bother with the trip to the Manor Ground.  I can still, though, remember the utter despondency of listening to the commentary on Radio 2.   One of several occasions in the mid 80s when you didn't think it could get much worse.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »
One of several occasions in the mid 80s when you didn't think it could get much worse.

If only.

Slight tangent, but if you think about it, from 1972 to 1987, just 15 years, we went from Third Division to Second to First (picking up a couple of League Cups on the way) to Champions of England, Champions of Europe, and back into the second division.

Whenever we get labelled "boring", I often reflect that there aren't many clubs who have put together such a rollercoaster of highs and lows over such a short period of time.

Offline ez

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
I went. Stood on the open away end and we were really awful that night. There were free buses laid on to take us back to the station and the one i was on was trashed.

Offline peter w

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
One thing that surprised me about the home leg was that where I was in teh Holte was jam packed solid. Thought it would be a huge attendance but when I read the attendance I was slightly puzzled. But, that away game, feck me. How disappointing was that. It goes up there with West Ham away in 1980, Arsenal away in circa 82-83 (possibly 84), Everton in the League Cup in 84, Oldham in 90, Liverpool 96...I'm sure there are plenty of others that I've ignored (including this season).

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of others that I've ignored

the humiliation at Ewood Park under Sir Brian?

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
See, I've forgotten that one already. Remind me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal