collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 11:13:35 AM]

Champions League Contention by David_Nab
[Today at 11:12:11 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:12:03 AM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:08:13 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Risso
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa's last four managers  (Read 21200 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Villa's last four managers
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
Cant believe 5 people have voted for MON, cant believe he's even on the list.
Just goes to show how blinded some people really are by their hatred for the man.

I voted for O'Neil. It wasn't based on hatred or c*** factor. O'Leary edges him out on both.

None of those managers were/are going to win us anything. It's all about the legacy they leave behind them for the next guy. At least O'Leary's crap was easily disposed of, and he did actually leave a few good players, better than we now have.

O'Neil was like a kid in a sweetshop with all the money he had. He left us with an enormous wage bill and a small squad. Quite an achievement. We'll be living with the consequences for a while yet.

After seeing Small Heath win the League Cup and Tottenham strump Milan, I could not help but think that it should have been us - and would have been but for crass mismanagement.

I assume you mean that given MON's 100% record in games against the Blues that if he was still here we would have beaten them in the QF and at worst prevented them from winning their first Wembley final and at best actually won it ourselves?

And if you think DOL's squad that finished 16th was better than that which MON left - in shite circumstances, I think we all agree - after three 6th place finishes then I am glad you are nowhere near our coaching staff and that you have nothing to do with our transfer policy.

I am with Percy re Graham Taylor - in his first spell he probably turned us around as quickly as any Villa manager has ever done, maybe barring the Doc in the late 60s but with better long term results. His second spell was truly awful but I couldn't bring myself to vote for him as he deserves a certain standing in our history. And he comes across as as decent a man as you could ever wish to meet.

On the finances point we pay high wages to average players who should never have been allowed near the club. I can blame MON for the signings but not for the amount we paid. As some Leeds mates of mine point out, DOL  may have bought some muppets but it was Ridsdale who wrote the cheques.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
Sir GT has 8 votes. Beggars belief.

For a generation of fans, he'll be remembered for two disgraceful derby games, and nothing else.
I think i fit in that generation, it annoyed me alot, but i grew up on stories about McGrath, Yorke Spink (middle names after him!) SGT, Ron Saunders etc etc. Therefore i would not dream of voting for him and really wish i had been around to witness these Players/Managers/Games.
 I voted O'Leary though, his first season was only a good half season, and for all the optimism from that, came the dire boring shite, the arrogance and the fact the players had no interest in him whatsoever.
I hate O'neill for leaving us in the shit and with a stupidly high wage bill, but at least we went to Wembley twice and played in europe

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
foreign managers don't work at Villa, remember Jozef Venglos ?

With the greatest of respect, that's the most ridiculous load of bollocks I've read in the 13 years I've been on here.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Frankly this thread is a farce. I struggle to put SGT and MON in the same sentence as DOL.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »
O'Leary's biggest achievement, as he was quick to point out to us, was winning 8-3 at Wycombe from 3-1 down. 

No-one comes close to this clown.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »
The initial question was:- "Who do you consider to have been the worst of the four, and for what reasons?"

Love Sir Graham though we do, if those reasons are results then he's well in the mix.  Personally, and without checking exact stats, I'd say Houllier beats him to the top spot due to greater resources to work with and getting comparable results.

Online Lucky Eddie

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »
Sir GT has 8 votes. Beggars belief.

For a generation of fans, he'll be remembered for two disgraceful derby games, and nothing else.
I think i fit in that generation, it annoyed me alot, but i grew up on stories about McGrath, Yorke Spink (middle names after him!) SGT, Ron Saunders etc etc. Therefore i would not dream of voting for him and really wish i had been around to witness these Players/Managers/Games.
 I voted O'Leary though, his first season was only a good half season, and for all the optimism from that, came the dire boring shite, the arrogance and the fact the players had no interest in him whatsoever.
I hate O'neill for leaving us in the shit and with a stupidly high wage bill, but at least we went to Wembley twice and played in europe

Are you saying that your name is Alex Spink Payne?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
O'Leary's biggest achievement, as he was quick to point out to us, was winning 8-3 at Wycombe from 3-1 down. 

No-one comes close to this clown.

Agree totally, he is the biggest clown i have seen 'manage' a Villa team. I can't recall him getting another job in the UK after, every chairman in the country could see how shit he was.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »

I assume you mean that given MON's 100% record in games against the Blues that if he was still here we would have beaten them in the QF and at worst prevented them from winning their first Wembley final and at best actually won it ourselves?

And if you think DOL's squad that finished 16th was better than that which MON left - in shite circumstances, I think we all agree - after three 6th place finishes then I am glad you are nowhere near our coaching staff and that you have nothing to do with our transfer policy.

I'll give you a clue. If you want to make a case for O'Neil, coaching and transfer policy are probably best glossed over.

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »

With the greatest of respect, that's the most ridiculous load of bollocks I've read in the 13 years I've been on here.

thanks
I had to start somewhere  ;)

Offline luke25

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »

thanks
I had to start somewhere  ;)
Has this site been up and running for 13 years? No wonder posters are above 20,000 replies

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »
Check out our Facebook page for the answer.

Offline Legion

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
H&V on-line has had plenty of incarnations. 20,000 is nothing for this one.

Offline luke25

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »
Check out our Facebook page for the answer.
think ive 'liked' the h&v facebook page, not sure if its this one or a different one though

Offline Legion

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2011, 09:44:03 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal