collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:25:59 PM]

VAR by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:24:17 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:20:31 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:15:54 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:06:40 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:25:59 PM]

Re: VAR by Toronto Villa
[Today at 07:24:17 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:20:31 PM]

Re: VAR by PaulWinch again
[Today at 07:20:28 PM]

Re: Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:15:54 PM]

Re: VAR by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:14:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa's last four managers  (Read 21212 times)

Online Mellin

Villa's last four managers
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
Taylor MkII
O'Leary
O'Neill
Houllier

No wonder it's been such a forgettable decade in our history. Now, this probably isn't the best time to start this thread, all things considered, but who do you consider to have been the worst of the four, and for what reasons?

Apologies to our Graham. I'm thankful for your first spell, and you had us on the back of Gregory's big spending, but they were dark times Allback aside.

Offline luke25

Re: Villa's last four managers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:04:47 AM »
O'Leary without a doubt, a complete and utter ****** who thought he was a lot better than he actually was

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
O'Leary without a doubt, a complete and utter c*** who thought he was a lot better than he actually was
And he got rid of the decent players of the time

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »
GT Mk II

The consummate professional, but dear god it was the worst time ever supporting Villa. Shit beyond belief.

As much a c***curtain DOL was, he was nowhere near as bad as GT.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:17:28 AM »
O'Leary, by a million country miles.

Online Mellin

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »
O'Leary may have been a wanker, but he like GT was working on a relatively tight budget. Again, in relative terms, his first season was arguably our finest of the last fifteen years.

I feel dirty.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:21:32 AM »
Yet at least two of those overseen periods of genuine excitement at the club and fostered a belief (albeit temporarily) that we were on the way back.

GH made noises about 7-12 being our station in life from the outset and -the way he's going- might not even be up to that modest level of accomplishment.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »
As far as i'm concerned, the credit in the bank that Graham Taylor has in the Villa bank means he shouldn't even be on that list.

Online Mellin

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:06 AM »
Sorry, no chance. He doesn't earn the right not to be criticised for his second stint just because of his first. As brilliant as it was.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »
David O'Leary absolute c*nt that he was had a very decent first season. Also made some good signings - Laursen in which he was unluckly as he was a crock, Bouma developed into a fine player for MON, Solano was superb for the small while he was with us. He also brought JPA out of semi retirement to have a cracking season. He was the one I hated the most.

Taylor Mk2 was the worst. Allback, Leonhardsen, Enkelman, Kinsella, Staunton - Ive tried to funnel that time away in my mind.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
MON - superb - except when he left within the first week of this season starting.  I still have a problem with that. I have read the posts for and against on here.  Possible reasons. Excuses.  All I know is that I was enjoying being a villa fan and it seemed as if we were getting somewhere and then there was a problem with Barry, deferred for a year, followed a year later with Milner.  And then teddy went out of the pram.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
As far as i'm concerned, the credit in the bank that Graham Taylor has in the Villa bank means he shouldn't even be on that list.

Amen.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
MON - superb - except when he left within the first week of this season starting.  I still have a problem with that. I have read the posts for and against on here.  Possible reasons. Excuses.  All I know is that I was enjoying being a villa fan and it seemed as if we were getting somewhere and then there was a problem with Barry, deferred for a year, followed a year later with Milner.  And then teddy went out of the pram.

Sums it up well, O'Leary gave us something to shout about for a year and Martin Laursen, Taylor was awful 2nd time around but that was the depths of the Ellis era.

Houllier has made some exciting signings but in every other facet of his management has been completely atrocious.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »
For starters Sir Graham should not even be on that list.

As for the other three, as much as I want to strangle Houllier right now and as much as MON left us up shit creek without a paddle it has to be O`Leary by a country mile.

Every facet and characteristic of his personality is unacceptable. I would rather deal with someone who is a complete and utter bastard and honestly wears a sign on the top of their head saying "complete and utter bastard" than a well dressed  disreputable swarmy unprincipled twat with a false smile who carries beneath that well cut suit metaphorically speaking sharpened knives to stab you in the back with and in his pocket carries a membership card for the The Secret Society of Complete and Utter Bastard Fellowship.

Vote DOL.

PS. Havent given order of preferences. Is this 1st past the post or AV? 

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
O Leary never got the grasp of how big villa are and always seemed to belittle us and put us down, graham and martin were both proud to manage a club of villas history and talked the club up, as for GED after last night god knows- but I'd have to say o Leary because of his constant talking down of the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal