collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby Agbonlahor  (Read 136405 times)

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
Gabby Agbonlahor
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
I wonder after today's win and GH's decision not to persist using Gabby as a winger, whether he has a future in his current setup.

I have to admit, GH's system is falling nicely into place, unfortunately as it does so Gabby becomes more and more of an peripheral player. Whether that's down to attitude I don't know.

Can he be molded into a decent winger, as he started off before banging in goals, or will he be moved on in the summer, preferably for a tidy sum, to someone like Stoke?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:03:02 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline hartman_1982

Re: Gabby's future
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
I knew this would crop up. He has a future, we rotate now.

Offline eastie

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
Don't worry, houllier will use his squad and gabby will get his fair share of games , the days of a set 11 players are long gone and he will rotate the squad well.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:36:52 PM »
Is threatened under the new system. More suited to playing on the wing away from home where we're looking to break on teams. At home, his technical deficiencies may render him less useful against teams who cede possession but sit deep

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
Darren Bent is not eligible to play at Eastlands on Wednesday so it makes sense to give Gabby a bit more of a rest.  Also, Houllier has finally given the trio of Marc, Ash and Downing a chance behind Bent to see if it works.  The answer is a resounding yes, but not for the reasons we'd have thought.  Whilst we were expecting that those 3 would star in a supporting role behind Bent they actually stole the show, if we can play the same way with Gabby up top on Wednesday then we will have a chance.  Gabby does have a future but Houllier is trying out his options, and thank God for that.  :)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
It was mentioned earlier this season that 'they' (GH and Gary Mac) weren't particularly enamored with Gabby's effort or workrate in training and didn't see what all the fuss was about.

His goals return has, it must be said, been quite poor over the last 12 months or so too. So he could well be one of those that needs to look over his shoulder if the current management remain in charge.

I think it was hoped that in time Gabby could be our Darren Bent, that is a quick forward who is by no means a naturally good allround footballer, but has the determination to improve and become effective at this level. Actually signing Darren Bent might put the kybosh on that.  We'll see. A feature of Gabby's development to date (this season excepted) is he's met most of the challenges that have come his way.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
We have to get out of knowing the starting 11 every week

Those days are gone, Agbonlahor didnt need to play today

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »

Gabbys future is quite simple.He either shapes up and becomes the player he should become, or he sulks and moves on.

He has everything you need as a modern day striker, but for me has rested on his laurels a bit the last 12 months.Needs to be more mobile, and work harder.

By the way, i bet he starts Wens.

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
Gabby has signed a new long term deal under houllier so I have no doubt he will stay and get plenty of games , nothing to worry about here .

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
i will bet that Heskey plays on Wednesday,

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
It was mentioned earlier this season that 'they' (GH and Gary Mac) weren't particularly enamored with Gabby's effort or workrate in training and didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Was it? He signed a new long-term deal shortly after GHou took over and he's often given him glowing praise.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
Gabby has signed a new long term deal under houllier so I have no doubt he will stay and get plenty of games , nothing to worry about here .

Most clubs would want to tie a player of that age who is anywhere near the first team to a long contract, for fear of losing them on a reduced fee.

I wouldn't take it as read that Gabby signing a lonterm contract = Gabby staying with us longterm.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
No but it's more of a hint that he rates him than he wants to make a few bob out of him.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »
He'll play centre forward against Man City. Once Bent's settled we'll see more rotation between him and Gabs I reckon.

Be really gutted if Gabby left.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
He will become an important player for those occasions when Bent can't play, such as Wednesday.

Also worth pointing out Napoleon loves to rotate his squad, so I wouldn't worry; he'll get a decent amount of gametime.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal