collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:28:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard
[Today at 08:26:22 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 08:24:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 08:19:53 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Ian.
[Today at 08:10:49 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Ian.
[Today at 08:09:48 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ez
[Today at 07:57:07 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Ian.
[Today at 07:57:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Ryan Babel  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
0% Villa: Ryan Babel
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
Ryan Babel charged by FA over comments on Twitter

Babel forwarded on a mocked-up picture of Webb in a United shirt and also said: "And they call him one of the best referees. That's a joke."

Well, I found it funny.

Offline The Left Side

Re: 0% Villa: Ryan Babel
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
Hardly crime of the century, but I guess you have to be professional... now will the FA do anything about Diouf.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
Webb is a better referee than Babel is a footballer.

As ever, somebody else to shoulder the blame for the shortcomings of the modern player.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
Spot on Babel. Webb is a disgrace.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »
i watched the game, he might have got the penalty wrong, the TV pictures were not conclusive, but i thought he got most things right including Stevie Gs sending off. Its not like Babel has never dived to get a penalty.
Because the refs dont get the use of TV evidence and there is no retrospective action for cheating, the game is in the mess it is now

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »
so a footballers got a sense of humour.  What about charging that c***  Diouf ?

Offline davevillan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »
so a footballers got a sense of humour.  What about charging that c***  Diouf ?
You could also argue, that by posting that comment, he was implying that Webb cheated. In which case, he deserves to be charged.
From his position, it was a penalty, therefore he gave it, end of.
I seem to remember Liverpool getting plenty of pens at the kop end so pot, kettle, black springs to mind.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:11:24 AM »
Was it Babel (or Ngog) who did that ridiculous dive at Anfield to knock Arsenal out of the Champs League a few years back?

Offline davevillan

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
Babel i think. What goes around comes around ;D.
With Sundays, Aggar didnt need to make the challenge, once he did, the ref has a decision to make.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
I'm a little uncomfortable with this.

Don't like Babel or Liverpool, but when do the FA's powers stop?  Away from the field of play, the stadium and his actual job as a player, if someone wants to express an opinion should they not be allowed to do so?  If he had said it down the pub to his mates, as opposed to in a TV interview, would he have been charged?

As far as I'm concerned there is professional and private lives and the FA should only be acting on what a player does in their own time.  If that's thr case I want Stevie G(BH) charged with violent conduct for his brawl and Terry for bringing the game into disrepute for shagging Bridge's ex.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
It might seem a bit over the top but you have to draw a line somewhere.  There's a big difference in expressing an opinion about a decision and intimating that an official cheated.  Let this go and every player will do the same or worse.  Where would we be then?

I thought Webb got all the major decisions right, the pen was a bit soft but that's more to do with Berbatov making the most of a very slight contact than any fault of Webb's.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
I'm a little uncomfortable with this.

Don't like Babel or Liverpool, but when do the FA's powers stop?  Away from the field of play, the stadium and his actual job as a player, if someone wants to express an opinion should they not be allowed to do so?  If he had said it down the pub to his mates, as opposed to in a TV interview, would he have been charged?

As far as I'm concerned there is professional and private lives and the FA should only be acting on what a player does in their own time.  If that's thr case I want Stevie G(BH) charged with violent conduct for his brawl and Terry for bringing the game into disrepute for shagging Bridge's ex.

Putting it on Twitter is not the same as chatting to his mates in a pub. If a manager accuses a ref of cheating (which is exactly what Babel has done here) then he will have to explain his actions. If a ref said that Babel was a shit player happy to sit on the bench and pick up big wages, the player would want something done about that. If they let it go then it will be open house for all players to post crap like this all over the internet.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
I hope the punishment fits the crime and they don't go overboard.    Maybe a little hobbling like in the film Misery.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »
Yes, I suppose it could lead to anarchy.

Or Howard Webb could come out and say "Sorry - I got that one wrong."  If he did that you would take away the need for this sort of thing.

I just think it's dangerous ground when an individual is not allowed to speak their mind in their own time.  I know Twitter is different than the 'down the pub' scenario I used, but what makes it different - the size of the audience or the setting?  Twitter/Facebook is effectively another means to talking to your friends, so tye principal remains, just the amount of people who hear/see it changes.     

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
Yes, I suppose it could lead to anarchy.

Or Howard Webb could come out and say "Sorry - I got that one wrong."  If he did that you would take away the need for this sort of thing.

I just think it's dangerous ground when an individual is not allowed to speak their mind in their own time.  I know Twitter is different than the 'down the pub' scenario I used, but what makes it different - the size of the audience or the setting?  Twitter/Facebook is effectively another means to talking to your friends, so tye principal remains, just the amount of people who hear/see it changes.       

On Twitter it can be seen by anyone, it's the equivalent of printing it in a newspaper. If you used it to call somebody involved in your work a crook would you expect it to be allowed to pass without censure?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal