collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Bristol Villa fans by olaftab
[Today at 06:41:30 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Beard82
[Today at 06:40:25 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

Re: VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 06:34:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard E
[Today at 06:31:46 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:29:42 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by Chipsticks
[Today at 06:27:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: In defence of Houllier  (Read 40962 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: In defence of Houllier
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »
Signing players is only half the battle. They have to perform as well.

It is still down to one thing and that is results. Houllier has been backed by the club and now needs repay that faith.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »
I thought that he seemed an intelligent man, quiet and thoughtful with it. This Bent business may cause me to think again.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »
Yes. Clearly buying the third best goalscorer over the last 5 years when we're struggling to score goals is the reckless act of a madman. We would have been better off spending the money painting all those light blue seats claret so they don't show up so badly when unoccupied.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
Yes. Clearly buying the third best goalscorer over the last 5 years when we're struggling to score goals is the reckless act of a madman. We would have been better off spending the money painting all those light blue seats claret so they don't show up so badly when unoccupied.

Typical hysteria.

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

Typical hysteria.

Typical of what? Your last two comments have been:

"I thought that he seemed an intelligent man, quiet and thoughtful with it. This Bent business may cause me to think again."

"Would anyone else be more than happy if this deal fails to go through?"

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »
Despite the very good transfers of Walker and Bent I still don't like the current manager. Don't like his tactics, and clueless football. Hell of a lot needs to change in team behaviour and results before I could consider changing my mind.

Online Nev

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
Whilst I'm pleased that we are addressing the problems with the squad, I hope we don't fall into the old Newcastle trick of glorifying players before they have kicked a ball. Welcome is one thing, worship is premature.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
Whilst I'm pleased that we are addressing the problems with the squad, I hope we don't fall into the old Newcastle trick of glorifying players before they have kicked a ball. Welcome is one thing, worship is premature.

You mean you're not going down to the ground to chant his name and get on the tele?

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »

I'm not trying to glorify him. As a footballer I think his general play is at most average, but his record as a goalscorer is amazing and as such I reserve the right to be optimistic (rather than hysterical).

Online Nev

« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »

I'm not trying to glorify him. As a footballer I think his general play is at most average, but his record as a goalscorer is amazing and as such I reserve the right to be optimistic (rather than hysterical).

It was a general comment rather than one aimed at anything you have said, but I'm also optimistic. With the cash we have, and are about to splash out, relegation would be catastrophic not to mention humiliating.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »

You mean you're not going down to the ground to chant his name and get on the tele?
I'm going down there to suggest we should have signed Kenny Miller instead.

Offline peter w

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »

What are the odds on Dave Woodhall being at Villa Park alongside Central News cameras tonight?

« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »
With the cash we have, and are about to splash out, relegation would be catastrophic not to mention humiliating.

Oh yes. Shudder!

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
Right Gerard, Randy is backing you to the hilt, time to produce.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
It's funny - when he joined the biggest concern I had over Houllier was transfers as I remember him signing an awful lor of rubbish at Liverpool, but still having a good side thanks to inheriting exciting youth products Gerrard and Owen. 

Now I have many other concerns, yet his transfer dealings seem to be bang on thus far!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal