collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: In defence of Houllier  (Read 40954 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: In defence of Houllier
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »
I do agree with this too much too soon idea.

If I was in charge I'd be nice to all the players whilst bringing about incremental change and planning to sell most of them in the summer behind their backs.

I make no secret of the fact that the Sunderland game has lead to me losing much of my faith in Houllier but I don't foresee the decision makers at the club doing so. The true test will be if whether he can get in some new players and start to turn things around. New players might be a spur to things being turned around.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
You really beleive if MON had stayed we'd be where we are now???? Come on, we may have slipped but we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't think we'd have been much better off; he would have had to play the kids due to injuries and his record with just the kids is much the same as what we are seeing now. Remember the cup exits?

Offline Archie

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
Just seen the first half of the Blades game, the man is improving, he has understood that Bannan and Albrighton stay better on the pitch than on the bench, and also to play a full back as a right back helps. To play in eleven instead than with the shadow of Robert Pires would help too. . .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:23:08 PM by Archie »

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
I was fairly neutral about his appointment, could have been better, could have been a lot worse.  I really liked the way he tried to get us to play a more passing game and was willing to trust some of the younger players.  Up to the Man Yoo game it seemed to be working and we were playing some good stuff. 

However a combination of factors have conspired to bugger things up.  Some, like extended injury lists,  bad attitudes of some players, and the fact he was saddled with plenty of ageing, technically mediocre, overpaid players, are not his fault.  But he has to take responsibility for other problems - trying to change things too quickly, not getting the players on board with what he is trying to do,  alienating many fans with that disgraceful show on and off the pitch at Anfield, and his often poorly judged comments in the media.  I wouldn't say the shambolic defence is all his fault, we shipped 6 at far from mighty Newcastle before he rocked up, so the rot was already setting in then - but he's done little to correct it. 

I still feel he can keep us up if he is allowed to bring in a few of his own players, but I do get the impression he is not taking the job serioulsy enough, a kind of "oh well it's only Villa" attitude.  I think he needs to appreciate Aston Villa Fc more and the size of the job he has taken on and pull his bloody finger out.   

This

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »
You really beleive if MON had stayed we'd be where we are now???? Come on, we may have slipped but we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't think we'd have been much better off; he would have had to play the kids due to injuries and his record with just the kids is much the same as what we are seeing now. Remember the cup exits?

Do you think a MON team would have had the same lack of fight as the current team?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:56 PM »

Do you think a MON team would have had the same lack of fight as the current team?
i witnessed the 7-1 defeat at chelsea, but i think MON s strongest attribute was that he did motivate players in a way that GH has failed so far to demonstrate

Offline rutski

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
i am going to nail my colours to the mast. Ged is in for the long haul, i will support him. The football is better than mon already without the results yet!  majorchanges have needed to be made and i thnk ged will get it right

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
I do think he needs to get three or four in right now. The psychology of the team needs to change not just on the pitch but in the change rooms. I believe he has far more understanding of what makes a successful side and the quality of player needed to bring success than MON ever did. Over the next twelve months the squad will not be recognisable to the one we have now. Randy will back him financially if he can see the improvement coming through.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
Pleased we won today, but didn't see anything to suggest that we're going to improve in the league.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2011, 01:25:54 AM »
Think he has a dilema with A Young. He looked like he thought he was a superstar today. But other than Pires was the most ineffective Villa player. Think he has got a big decision to make either now or the summer. I think we should take the money .........

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
Pleased we won today, but didn't see anything to suggest that we're going to improve in the league.

I did. If Ged can get 11 players on the pitch to be professional and play to their abilities we will win more than we lose. Yesterday I saw more playing without that meh attitude that we have seen at Liverpool and Man City at home to Sunderland and other games too. Hopefully more players are becoming willing to adapt and earn their stupid mega money. Walker is another to play with a positive attitude. One or two more new players to go along side Clark, Albrighton, Downing, Young, Carlos et al and we will be fine.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2011, 06:32:06 AM »

Maybe a bit more fight, but I still think we would still be at the same end of the table.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »

Probably not, but it's all hypothetical. According to several sources, MON seemed to have lost interest some time during the summer (possibly when he was overlooked for the Liverpool job). I don't think a disinterested MON would have had us pushing for top six.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
After todays developments how many fervent anti Houllier posters want him sacked now, we are starting the dream that Lerner envisaged for us, it's just been delayed for five years.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »
After todays developments how many fervent anti Houllier posters want him sacked now, we are starting the dream that Lerner envisaged for us, it's just been delayed for five years.

How many 'just one more windows' was O'Neill given? Over and over again we heard it.
I am confident that Houllier will do a good job for us. Normally, I would have been calling for the sack. However, I think he will sort it, given half a chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal