collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would relegation be that bad?  (Read 33770 times)

Offline Simba

Re: Would relegation be that bad?
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
Dave,
I know it is tempting to over exaggerate. But I wasn't. Any High Street accountant will tell you that because of the current tax and applied rules to insolvent Clubs we could be caught out anytime. Actually let me correct that, we are fine currently but the arguement is about relegation.

But who is "The Club".  The Auction might bring in a bunch of oil rich sheiks ( no offence) who need to find a way to diversify. Cool , and we have the cash that Man City have. Great. We will still be Aston Villa and still wear Claret and Blue. Wonderful.

Except. Simple economic theory will tell you that it will bust. Dunno when.  But because of Salaries v Income.

Dave: you are right the name will survive. After all the value is based very much on "good will".

If it doesn't matter who owns us fine. But if we go down and we cannot attract the Sheiks or others we will be down for a very long time. Our "good will" will be expired. Our income massively reduced.

The truth is we have not won much in the past ninety years to negotiate that business "good will."

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »
It'd be horrible, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. We'd get over it. Leeds have enjoyed it and Newcastle had a great season last year.

I don't want it to happen, and I'd be gutted. But I'd look at the positives and enjoy being bigger and better than all around us. Especially while having local lads and youth teamers playing for us.

But hopefully it won't happen.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:19 PM »
I'm not concerned about dropping out of the glittering Premier League for a season or two but the financial implications could be disastrous. That would be my main concern. Could ruin us. But if we keep our heads, cut the fat from the squad, we could bounce back leaner and meaner.

You could kiss goodbye to this lot for starters though: Friedel, Cuellar, Dunne, Warnock, Ash Young, NRC, Downing, Luke Young, Petrov, Carew, Heskey.

I've got a funny feeling Gabby would stay.

The time I've enjoyed football more than any other time was the relegation season and the following time under SGT.  Maybe it was because I went everywhere.  But we had fun.  Even though we knew we were going down with McNeil, we enjoyed ourselves.

I hate what football has become and the very, very short memories of fans.  Houllier has not been given 4 months in charge yet, and because the overpaid, jumped up wankers, that are so-called senior players, won't play for him he's getting stick.  Unbelievable stick.  We won't go down, but if we do, it'll because of the players not giving a rats ass.  Not the manager and not Randy.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »
Is it true Lerner is charging us an interset rate of approx 17% ?

Isn't the base rate 0.5% ????????????????????????????????

Yeah, he's Villa through and through

I don't know but surely you understand that this is Randy funded this himself?  This is Randy's right pocket paying Randy's left pocket.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
prat!

Who and why?
Is it not in response to the thread title?
Possibly.  But it's not the standard of debate we have on H&V.  If the poster can't contribute more I suggest he contributes less.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
Dave,
I know it is tempting to over exaggerate. But I wasn't. Any High Street accountant will tell you that because of the current tax and applied rules to insolvent Clubs we could be caught out anytime. Actually let me correct that, we are fine currently but the arguement is about relegation.

But who is "The Club".  The Auction might bring in a bunch of oil rich sheiks ( no offence) who need to find a way to diversify. Cool , and we have the cash that Man City have. Great. We will still be Aston Villa and still wear Claret and Blue. Wonderful.

Except. Simple economic theory will tell you that it will bust. Dunno when.  But because of Salaries v Income.

Dave: you are right the name will survive. After all the value is based very much on "good will".

If it doesn't matter who owns us fine. But if we go down and we cannot attract the Sheiks or others we will be down for a very long time. Our "good will" will be expired. Our income massively reduced.

The truth is we have not won much in the past ninety years to negotiate that business "good will."

Why do we need 'the shiekhs' or anyone else? Has the club been put up for sale without telling anyone?

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »

I hate what football has become and the very, very short memories of fans.  Houllier has not been given 4 months in charge yet, and because the overpaid, jumped up wankers, that are so-called senior players, won't play for him he's getting stick.  Unbelievable stick.  We won't go down, but if we do, it'll because of the players not giving a rats ass.  Not the manager and not Randy.

I totally agree Mac !

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
So do I. I've said it all along. Give the bloke time.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
The time I've enjoyed football more than any other time was the relegation season and the following time under SGT.  Maybe it was because I went everywhere.  But we had fun.  Even though we knew we were going down with McNeil, we enjoyed ourselves.

Whilst I hated the actual relegation, I agree that 87-88 was in many ways a memorable one, especially the away trips, of which I did many.

But, it needs to be taken in the context of the time.

Clubs survived for the most part at the turnstiles and by the time we went down our attendances didn't have that much further to fall.  Sky money has completely changed the economics of either being in the top division or not.

Secondly, with the exception of Mark Walters, we didn't face an exodus of our better players.

Finally, Villa got lucky with their managerial appointment at the outset and, more to the point, got lucky that all our promotion rivals imploded more spectacularly than we did in the run-in.   

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »

I totally agree Mac !
Yup, me too.

Offline Simba

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
Dave. That was poor for you, a deflection. That wasn't what I was saying. You know that. It is about our value. Not only as a business but to attract better players or lose our own better players. In our case the youngsters we have nurtured for many years brilliantly. We will have to sell them to Premier Clubs.

Simple - will relegation to a club like ours be disasterous-  IMHO Yes. Long term. That was the thread question.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
Dave. That was poor for you, a deflection. That wasn't what I was saying. You know that. It is about our value. Not only as a business but to attract better players or lose our own better players. In our case the youngsters we have nurtured for many years brilliantly. We will have to sell them to Premier Clubs.

Simple - will relegation to a club like ours be disasterous-  IMHO Yes. Long term. That was the thread question.

Sorry, but when you started talking about sheikhs and their oil money I thought you were on about new owners.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
'Would relegation be that bad?' , yes.

Offline Simba

« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
Dave: I should have stressed the "might " bit. 

These mails are tough aren't they. I mean from Brum we communicate via tone of voice and facial expressions, a lift of the brow, subtle cough or the 'pretend I never hear it.' face. We are very dry.

This is hard work. :)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »

I totally agree Mac !
Yup, me too.

smack on i say

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal