collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 435157 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #2055 on: November 08, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
I’m a bit sceptical about all these signings that were supposedly lined up, especially considering that all McLeish talked about later that summer was the need to reduce the wage bill.

Although I’d have loved Cabaye in hindsight.

A lot is made of the potential Cabaye purchase, but less is said about his fairly disastrous last few signings for Liverpool, who included Cheyrou, Diao, Diarra, Djiouf and Cisse, who were all a bit on the crap side.

Igor Biscan!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2056 on: November 08, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »
A while back someone posted a link on H&V to a list of the worst value Premier League signings and a number of Houllier's Liverpool signings were on the list.

As for McLeish the best move he made was Robbie Keane on loan. He scored three goals in six games late on in the season, and we finished only two points ahead of the relegation places.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2057 on: November 08, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
A while back someone posted a link on H&V to a list of the worst value Premier League signings and a number of Houllier's Liverpool signings were on the list.

As for McLeish the best move he made was Robbie Keane on loan. He scored three goals in six games late on in the season, and we finished only two points ahead of the relegation places.

Thinking about it that Wolves game was huge. We were 2-1 down at half time and then Keane practically won it on his own with two great goals. Yet another in the long line of players we should've signed earlier in his career.

Few weeks later he went back to MLS, Bent got injured at similar time and we went into freefall (well just drawing games).

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2058 on: November 08, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »

Twas me.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2059 on: November 08, 2019, 06:50:58 PM »

I'd be surprised if most of his signings weren't on the list.

He inherited Carragher, Gerrard, Fowler and Owen and they were his best players. 

Vastly overrated manager, IMO. 

Always sticks in my mind that he threatened to sue Sander Westerveld when he left and said he wasn't given proper support. The arse.

And when we were after Baros in 2005, he said he couldn't understand why Baros would want to go to a mid table club like Aston Villa. That's without even getting into the 7-12 passion-killing when he arrived and Liverpool PR gibberish. At a time when he was being paid very handsomely to manage the finest football club in the world.   

Offline danno

« Reply #2060 on: November 08, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »
Hypia and Henchoz weren't bad. I think maybe 6 ?? of the team that won the champions league in 2005 were Houllier signings. Although in fairness someone winning the European cup after he left might be proof he was crap!

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #2061 on: November 09, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
I wonder when exactly Lerner made the decision to turn off the tap - I wonder if it came as a response to Houllier's health issues and not wanting to back a spending spree to tempt a more ambitious manager to come, or whether he was planning to do it regardless. If it was the latter, it's rather difficult to believe that Houllier's supposed transfer plans would've come to fruition - I think Cabaye would have happened, that story's been making the rounds for a long time now and I think Cabaye himself said he was ready to come before changing his mind because Houllier was leaving, but that wouldn't have left much money to replace Young and Downing adequately.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2062 on: November 09, 2019, 11:41:10 PM »
From what's been hinted, it was something Houlier did that made Lerner think that being stitched up two summers in a row was quite enough, thank you very much.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2063 on: November 09, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
Cahill only actually signed for Chelsea for 7m in Jan 2012 so he'd have been within our budget.

The strategy really changed in summer 2012. As others have said likes of Hutton, Given, N'zogbia and Jenas were all experienced international players when they signed.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2064 on: November 09, 2019, 11:56:20 PM »
I can well imagine that after MON fucked him and everyone else over Lerner probably became a paranoid mess. Probably explains why he then went for the unbelievably shit but safe and honest pair of hands in TSM1.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2065 on: November 09, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
I can well imagine that after MON fucked him and everyone else over Lerner probably became a paranoid mess. Probably explains why he then went for the unbelievably shit but safe and honest pair of hands in TSM1.

Nothing explains that.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #2066 on: November 10, 2019, 12:47:39 AM »
Cahill only actually signed for Chelsea for 7m in Jan 2012 so he'd have been within our budget.

The strategy really changed in summer 2012. As others have said likes of Hutton, Given, N'zogbia and Jenas were all experienced international players when they signed.

From what I remember, we got 15 million for Young and 19 million for Downing, and we paid 9.5 for N'Zogbia and 5 or so for Given, which leaves about 20 million. I think Hutton was basically a like-for-like replacement, maybe slightly cheaper on the wages, for Luke Young, who was sold to QPR. Then there was the Jenas loan which was cut short by his injury, but even then they farmed Makoun out in order to do that.

All that makes me think the austerity measures were already in place by then, and that the only reason any money was spent at all was because they couldn't just sit entirely on the money for Downing and Young.

I'm not sure Cahill was ever a go either, he did go cheap to Chelsea in the winter transfer window because I think at that point he only had six months left on his contract, but he would've cost twice that much in the summer.

With an indifferent Lerner at the helm the crash was inevitable but I think most people agree that completely blowing up the slight progress made during the Houllier season (Albrighton and Bannan looking like decent prospects, occasional periods where the football looked progressive) by picking McLeish was the biggest catalyst. Surely there would have been someone out there who, without being absolutely brilliant, could've at least continued on with whatever Houllier was instilling - I'd much rather have crashed and burned spectacularly with someone like Bielsa at the helm, for one...

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #2067 on: November 10, 2019, 07:40:14 AM »
I sort of remember this coming up years ago and Cabaye being touted, but also a French goalkeeper and another defender. Any ideas who they were?

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #2068 on: November 10, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
I sort of remember this coming up years ago and Cabaye being touted, but also a French goalkeeper and another defender. Any ideas who they were?

Nicolas Douchez was the GK, I'm pretty sure, I remember it, because, well, juvenile.

The defender, who knows, honestly we probably needed an entire new back 4 at the time

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2069 on: November 10, 2019, 11:48:53 AM »

Given, Hutton and Jenas' careers were all regressing at that point. The first two were direct replacements for Friedel and L Young. From what I recall, Jenas' career was badly affected by injury at that point, hence was a loan. With likes of Reo Coker and Carew also leaving that summer without replacement, we were in severe cost cutting mode by then.

I had high hopes for Nzogbia, and at half the price we got for Downing he seemed great value, but he was a disaster. But what hope had he realistically trying to replace both Young and Downing. If anything McLeish was a bit unlucky. The football was rank (Hutton infamously selected on right wing v Spurs) but we seemed set for a mid table finish until a dreadful run of  illness/injuries to experienced players like Petrov, Bent and Dunne hit us late on and nearly doomed us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal