collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by mrfuse
[Today at 11:16:17 AM]

NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:14:52 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 11:13:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by coreyfeldman
[Today at 11:10:40 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 436778 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #2040 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
A bit harsh, BE.
We all knew he had a lot of time for Liverpool, but, for me, did it really matter? .
It's not the Liverpool stuff. It's all the stuff he did previously in France too. Prize wanker who puts the blame on everyone but himself.

This. An absolute bellend.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2041 on: November 07, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
He is a wanker, but he also by all accounts had a plan that was a fuck of a lot better than 'hire Alex McLeish'. Low bar I know.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #2042 on: November 07, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »
I thought he was an arrogant arse and Petrov's story about him makes him look a twat, but as Lee said above, compared to McLeish he was a footballing God.

At the risk of prolonging this thread, what is the Petrov story?

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #2043 on: November 07, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »
I’m a bit sceptical about all these signings that were supposedly lined up, especially considering that all McLeish talked about later that summer was the need to reduce the wage bill.

Although I’d have loved Cabaye in hindsight.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2044 on: November 07, 2019, 01:50:18 PM »
I’m a bit sceptical about all these signings that were supposedly lined up, especially considering that all McLeish talked about later that summer was the need to reduce the wage bill.

Agreed, that summer Downing went aswell for huge money so Lerner had effectively downed tools by then. McLeish's big signing that summer was that clown Nzogbia. From that summer on, we were firmly circling the relegation drain until the final capitulation in 2016.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2045 on: November 07, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »

A lot is made of the potential Cabaye purchase, but less is said about his fairly disastrous last few signings for Liverpool, who included Cheyrou, Diao, Diarra, Djiouf and Cisse, who were all a bit on the crap side.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2046 on: November 07, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »

Agreed, that summer Downing went aswell for huge money so Lerner had effectively downed tools by then. McLeish's big signing that summer was that clown Nzogbia. From that summer on, we were firmly circling the relegation drain until the final capitulation in 2016.

I think that summer McLeish spent a fortune not only on Nzogbia's transfer fee and wages but also on an aging and past his best Shay Given.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2047 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:01 PM »
IIRC in the summer McLeish brought in Zog, Given, Hutton, Stevens (signed in the summer but didn't join us until Jan) and Jenas (loan). Keane on loan in Jan and Holman on a Bosman.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2048 on: November 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM »

I think that summer McLeish spent a fortune not only on Nzogbia's transfer fee and wages but also on an aging and past his best Shay Given.

Think Given may have had a solid enough season under McLeish? Had a horror show at the Euros that summer and if I recall correctly Lambert dropped him for Guzan a few games into the next season after a big mistake. The others were all straight from the bargain basement with a number of big earners leaving.

Enda Stevens has done very well to make it back to the top division since those days.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #2049 on: November 07, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
Charles Nzogbia *shudders*

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2050 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:26 PM »
I thought he was an arrogant arse and Petrov's story about him makes him look a twat, but as Lee said above, compared to McLeish he was a footballing God.

At the risk of prolonging this thread, what is the Petrov story?

Basically treated him like shit, ignored him, bullshitted him, and did next to no coaching.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2051 on: November 07, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »

Think Given may have had a solid enough season under McLeish? Had a horror show at the Euros that summer and if I recall correctly Lambert dropped him for Guzan a few games into the next season after a big mistake. The others were all straight from the bargain basement with a number of big earners leaving.

They had to be as McLeish had signed 35 year old Shay Given on a 5 (FIVE) year contract.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2052 on: November 07, 2019, 08:17:33 PM »

They had to be as McLeish had signed 35 year old Shay Given on a 5 (FIVE) year contract.

Other than Stevens I'm not sure you can describe the rest as Bargain basement either, Hutton was the best part of £5m and £40k a week, Jenas was a £1m loan fee and his full wage for the season, Keane came in on a big wedge for a couple of months and Zog was £10m and something around £60k a week. Let's also not forget that we paid £3.5m as a fee for Given as well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2053 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:27 PM »
He was as good an appointment as you could expect under the circumstances but by the end of the season i was thoroughly unimpressed, despite not wishing him the health issues obviously.

We really could've done better for a team who finished 6th three times in a row. Summed up the second half of the Lerner era really, not really working harder enough to identify interesting options abroad.

I reckon at that time a Remi Garde style appointment would've made lots of sense (or even in summer 2011 instead of what we got). Houllier was a good manager but was in semi retirement when we got him (managerial equivilant of us signing Robert Pires) and as we saw his health was still an issue.

I can actually remember the Cabaye link. Not sure Charlie Adam or gervinho ones would've worked out though.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #2054 on: November 08, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »
Wasn't the link to Adam when Ian Holloway made his 'half-arsed club that used to be famous' quote?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal