collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437382 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1440 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »
No, I don't think we so, do we?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1441 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »
The in-laws are staying at the moment (Bolton fans) and they're all convinced that Cahill will be off in the summer to a big 4 club for £20m.  Knight's been good as well, but Cahill is young and getting better and better.

We've got a sell on fee haven't we?
20% of anything above £5m apparently.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1442 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
I thought it was that too. But it might have been wishful thinking.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #1443 on: January 04, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »
Based on yesterdays game, he told the players to play like they did under MON. It was essentially, bar Clark, MON's team.

Hopefully a few performances like that will climb us out of trouble, and then GH can introduce a more passing style/ethic into the team towards the latter half of this season, ready for next season.

Not quite playing the MON way.  MOTD had that graphic which clearly showed how we were better tactically than when we lost 7-1.

How about when we beat them at home then? Or beat Man Utd away? Or when we beat Arsenal? Liverpool? It was MON's team and they played like they would under him.

All GH has to do is slightly change the way MON's team played and we'll be all the better for it.

Rubbish, the only thing the team had in common with Oneil's team was 9 of the same players,

Houllier played and got the best out of heskey, Martin never

He dropped an out of form left back and gave Clark a go, Martin never

He played Ash in the middle because he is alot more mobile, Martin never

He played Gabby on the left, to stop them counter attacking, Martin never.

He brought back an out of favour player, Martin never let grudges go.

So don't give me crap like Houllier just played oneil's team. Yes we have been rubbish recently, but give Houllier abit of credit and now every one is fit let's give him a chance.

People forget how frustrating Martin was.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1444 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:08 PM »
I wasn't O'Neill's biggest fan, but I'm not going to take one game after several atrocious ones as proof that Houllier is a motivational genius.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1445 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »
I thought it was that too. But it might have been wishful thinking.
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but the Bolton forum I looked at last time this question came up, most of the posters seemed pretty certain that it's there.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #1446 on: January 04, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »
we should offer them a deal to buy out the sell-on clause then or the c**nts will do some part exchange deal to get out of it.  Its bad enough losing cahill and paying 12m for 2 rotten replacements without some arsenal/chelsea reserve player going the other way valued at 2 million

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1447 on: January 05, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »
The Guardian are reporting that Warnock found out he was dropped from the squad for the Chelsea game when he received a phone call from Kevin MacDonald. Now putting aside Warnock's form this season, I do find it strange that GH appears to have gone out of his way to isolate a player, even humiliate him. If we are to believe the rumours of an unsettled players in the squad, why is he trying to add another player to the list? Surely a word in the ear of Warnock explaining why he's being dropped and how he hopes he can refind the form of the first part of last season, giving him a break, etc.. would have been the sensible thing to do.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1448 on: January 05, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »
Maybe he's bought into that old Liverpool thing Shankley (I think) used to do of not speaking to any player he'd dropped.

Yet another thing that, on the face of it, seems a bit strange. He did need a bloody good boot up the arse though so I hope he learns from it.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1449 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
It doesn't sound much different from how O'Neill operated, but I wasn't a fan of it then, and I'm not now.  I haven't met many people who respond well to being treated like that to be honest.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #1450 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
It was bad enough MON thinking he was the reincarnation of Brian Clough. If Houllier thinks he's the reincarnation of Skankly, we're in trouble.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1451 on: January 05, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »
The Guardian are reporting that Warnock found out he was dropped from the squad for the Chelsea game when he received a phone call from Kevin MacDonald. Now putting aside Warnock's form this season, I do find it strange that GH appears to have gone out of his way to isolate a player, even humiliate him. If we are to believe the rumours of an unsettled players in the squad, why is he trying to add another player to the list? Surely a word in the ear of Warnock explaining why he's being dropped and how he hopes he can refind the form of the first part of last season, giving him a break, etc.. would have been the sensible thing to do.

It does seem a strange way to manage a player but in Warnock's case I'm not too bothered as he stands out as the one player we have who has upset me more than any this season and that's on far more than just one occasion.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #1452 on: January 05, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »

It does seem a strange way to manage a player but in Warnock's case I'm not too bothered as he stands out as the one player we have who has upset me more than any this season and that's on far more than just one occasion.
Whatever problems Warnock has with his form, I think he always gives 100% and based on that alone, I think it's wrong to treat him in such a way. We've heard he's a right old moaner but for once he actually may have something to moan about. It wouldn't surprise me if he was used as part of the Samba deal with Blackburn.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:51:18 PM by Mark Kelly »

Offline Risso

« Reply #1453 on: January 05, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if he was used as part of the Simba deal with Blackburn.

I think he's a lion bastard.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #1454 on: January 05, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if he was used as part of the Simba deal with Blackburn.

I think he's a lion bastard.
Tell me about it. Thank god the kids are back at school.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal