collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 438455 times)

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1425 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »

Sunderland are shite away, we have a full squad so there's no excuse.

Played ten, lost four. I wish we were that shit away from home.

Eh? One win this season so far, oddly enough, Chelsea.
Correct, which would mean they've drawn five. Not such a soft touch as you make out, not that I don't think we won't beat them but to describe their away form as shit, is just plain wrong.

Yep, fair point. The table does lie (sometimes).

I still think a victory is on the cards.

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #1426 on: January 04, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
Steven Howard in the Sun talked about him "hiding behind the all-too-easy excuse of injuries." It's bollocks, and it shows there is definitely an agenda amongst the nationals.

What a rambling, unfocused, jealousy-riddled, poor, poor article. That article gave up half way in, as opposed to us giving up reading it half way in.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #1427 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
we need a high tempo game again tomorrow
then we can go and muller sheff utd

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #1428 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »

Stephen Warnock is considering his future at Aston Villa after he was dropped from the starting XI and left out of the squad for the trip to Chelsea on Sunday without any explanation from Gérard Houllier. The England international, who has been a regular in the Villa line-up since he joined from Blackburn Rovers in a £7m deal last August, is the latest senior player to be marginalised since Houllier took over as manager.

The 29-year-old left-back has failed to recapture the form that he showed during the first half of last season, when he was outstanding and earned a recall to the England set up, but it still came as a surprise that he was not even named among the substitutes at Chelsea. It is understood that Warnock learned he would not be needed at Stamford Bridge when he received a phone call from Kevin MacDonald, Villa's reserve-team manager.

Ciaran Clark, a central defender by trade, was picked ahead of Warnock and headed home an injury-time equaliser to earn Villa a point. It was initially thought that Clark was playing because Warnock was injured but Gary McAllister today confirmed that the former Liverpool and Blackburn defender had been dropped. "It's a football decision," Villa's assistant manager said. "His form, looking at the way we have been conceding goals."

Warnock, who won his second England cap against France at Wembley in November, has two-and-a-half years remaining on his contract at Villa. He is one of several players Houllier has spoken to about moving closer to Villa's training base – Warnock commutes from the North-west – although it now seems likely that he will be changing club rather than moving house. Houllier, who has been targeting a new left-back, is unlikely to stand in his way.

The Guardian - Clicky

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1429 on: January 04, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
One of the biggest nosedives in form I've witnessed from a Villa player.  Not even a temporary blip either, he's been dire for months.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1430 on: January 04, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Where would he go in the north-west I wonder?

If Bolton continue to do well then that would be my prediction. How they're doing as well as they with a choice of either Samuel or Paul Robinson playing there is anybody's guess.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1431 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:22 PM »

If Bolton continue to do well then that would be my prediction. How they're doing as well as they with a choice of either Samuel or Paul Robinson playing there is anybody's guess.

Blackburn?

They've got something we want, by all accounts, and he's still well regarded up there. It could happen.

I struggle to remember ever seeing another player showing such extremes of form at Villa - fantastic to start with, then it was like a switch was flipped, and utterly dire since.

Online Dave

« Reply #1432 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »

Blackburn?
Maybe, but I think it's more likely that they'll just collapse under the weight of their own craziness. Any player with half a brain is probably going to think twice before going there anytime soon.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #1433 on: January 04, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »
The way Warnock has been defending lately I don't think he has even half a brain.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1434 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »

Decent manager.  Oh and Gary Cahill. ;)

Online Dave

« Reply #1435 on: January 04, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »

Decent manager.  Oh and Gary Cahill. ;)
The two Bolton fans that I know say that this season it has been Cahill's partner who has been the better of the two.

Obviously not following them as closely one is less likely to see them, but I can't really remember a single balls up from Knight this season at all.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1436 on: January 04, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
The in-laws are staying at the moment (Bolton fans) and they're all convinced that Cahill will be off in the summer to a big 4 club for £20m.  Knight's been good as well, but Cahill is young and getting better and better.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #1437 on: January 04, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
I had assumed he was injured to not be named in the squad, he has gone from sublime to ridiculous, deserved dropping.
Another kick up the arse then

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1438 on: January 04, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
The in-laws are staying at the moment (Bolton fans) and they're all convinced that Cahill will be off in the summer to a big 4 club for £20m.  Knight's been good as well, but Cahill is young and getting better and better.

We've got a sell on fee haven't we?

Warnock might end up back at Liverpool... Hodgson wants British and Koncheskey is shit.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1439 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »

We've got a sell on fee haven't we?

Warnock might end up back at Liverpool... Hodgson wants British and Koncheskey is shit.

Liverpool aren't a big four club any more.

I'd expect someone like Cahill to opt for Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, Man City (money) or even Spurs before looking at Liverpool, if indeed he did at all.

He's a quality player, and it was a big mistake to sell him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal