collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 07:57:18 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:55:50 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by AV84
[Today at 07:47:51 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 07:35:58 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by The Edge
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

FFP by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:23:49 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 04:30:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437388 times)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #945 on: December 30, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
It's not the same team though, is it? We've lost Milner and have had huge amounts of injuries for most of the season, so they've not been using the same resources.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #946 on: December 30, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
And that's why Houllier has to be given 12 months.

To get rid of the dross, and bring in his own players.  Which once again highlights the shitty situation we were left in by our previous manager when he walked out when he did.

Is this the same dross that finished 6th last season, 1 point ahead of Liverpool, 3 points behind Money City and 6 points off 4th place, and a Cup Final appearance?

Some people need to get out of their heads that the last manager left a load of crap behind, he did'nt. He overpaid for a few of them yes, but they were decent players a few months ago, what's changed?

How decent were Steve Sidwell, Habib Beye, and Curtis Davies? What about Warnock who has been shit for nigh on an entire year?

We paid 9.5m for Davies, and he's currently on loan at Leicester City. We paid 5 for Sidwell, who has run his contract out, picked up 50k a week for 3 years and contributed the square root of fuck all.

And I imagine you were amongst those who complained we'd sold our best player in Milner. You can't have it both ways, he either was or was not out best player, and he's gone, so it is not the same team at all.

Furthermore, I'll tell you something else that has changed, the dreadful run of injuries we've had. Everyone knew, even when MON was there, that we had a very light squad, and now we're paying the price for it.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #947 on: December 30, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »
It's not the same team though, is it? We've lost Milner and have had huge amounts of injuries for most of the season, so they've not been using the same resources.

It gets tiring having to point out very basic little points like this to people who've decided where they stand and wont be budged.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #948 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »

It gets tiring having to point out very basic little points like this to people who've decided where they stand and wont be budged.

We'll all pull through eventually. People write players, managers, teams etc off so incredibly quickly anyway that, given an actual poor start, GH has been thoroughly dismissed by many. But a poor start doesn't mean everything, and pure statistics don't tell the whole story. We've had an utterly horrendous run of fixtures as well (as our relatively benign three-month fixture list from February to May will testify), always missing at least two of last season's crucial players, usually more. But hey, why not, sack him, that always works.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #949 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
I've used the analogy before but MON was like a competant average chef. At leicester he wowed them with his cod, chips, and mushy pees. Then he got a gig up north at a glasgow little chef and stunned them with his Haddock, french fries and runner beans. Then he came to us and his plaice, new boiled potatoes and petit pois was a hit. He varied it a bit and the ingrediants got a bit more expensive but it was still basically fish and chips. Now Houllier wants to come in and be a bit more adventurous but he's looked in the kitchen and all he has is two sacks of out of date potatoes, some homegrown greens and a fridge full of fish fingers
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:18:24 PM by gregnash »

Offline sheldon nose

« Reply #950 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
Just a queston????and i aint on here to gloat chaps,but i dont fall for this "to good to go down lark"....but who had the better squad on paper? newcastle when they went down?or the current villa squad...

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #951 on: December 30, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
As far as I'm concerned Houllier gets some leeway due to Milner going and the injuries, but not enough to see us 1 point off relegation.

Injuries or no, we have an unmotivated and dis-orgainsed team.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #952 on: December 30, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »
Nicked
I've used the analogy before but MON was like a competant average chef. At leicester he wowed them with his cod, chips, and mushy pees. Then he got a gig up north at a glasgow little chef and stunned them with his Haddock, french fries and runner beans. Then he came to us and his plaice, new boiled potatoes and petit pois was a hit. He varied it a bit and the ingrediants got a bit more expensive but it was still basically fish and chips. Now Houllier wants to come in and be a bit more adventurous but he's looked in the kitchen and all he has is two sacks of out of date potatoes, some homegrown greens and a fridge full of fish fingers

Nicked

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #953 on: December 30, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
And that's why Houllier has to be given 12 months.

To get rid of the dross, and bring in his own players.  Which once again highlights the shitty situation we were left in by our previous manager when he walked out when he did.

Is this the same dross that finished 6th last season, 1 point ahead of Liverpool, 3 points behind Money City and 6 points off 4th place, and a Cup Final appearance?

Some people need to get out of their heads that the last manager left a load of crap behind, he did'nt. He overpaid for a few of them yes, but they were decent players a few months ago, what's changed?

And I imagine you were amongst those who complained we'd sold our best player in Milner. You can't have it both ways, he either was or was not out best player, and he's gone, so it is not the same team at all.

I'm sorry but where the hell did that come from? How do you know how i felt about Milner going? If you must know, i'm of the opinion that if a player dose'nt want to play for us anymore, then let him go and that's always been the case.

As for the rest of your post, don't get me wrong, MON was'nt without fault, of course he was'nt, like i said, he paid far far too much for certain players, but my point is they got us to a decent position in the league. Bearing in mind where we are now, 6th place is not to be sniffed at.

Offline villa1

« Reply #954 on: December 30, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »
Just a queston????and i aint on here to gloat chaps,but i dont fall for this "to good to go down lark"....but who had the better squad on paper? newcastle when they went down?or the current villa squad...

Us.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #955 on: December 30, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »

I partly agree with you paulie, but i wholly agree with Mac.

I have my reservations about GH, and some of his utterances are ill-conceived but he has'nt been given any opportunity to bring his own players in.If Forfan is the kind of player he is trying to bring in then i am more than happy to give him some time.

We have to be realistic, MONs team has gone, the players who performed for MON for some reason are not doing it this year, the positives about GHs tenure is the emergence of players like Bannan, Licjah, Clarke, and i'm quite happy to give him a bit more time.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #956 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
Nicked

Nicked

eh?

Offline MarkM

« Reply #957 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »
(Use the same method to ask the population if taxes should be raised or cut. The majority would, no doubt, vote for a tax cut. Taxes should be cut, and the government would be bankrupt within ten years.)

Not much point running a poll if the results are just window dressing

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #958 on: December 30, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »

Do you mean by 'won't be budged' as they have a different opinion?

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #959 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »

East 19 I think his previous health issue is a factor and a big weakness. I apologise if a remark about his heart offended you but lets be honest its what everyone is thinking when you see his lonely figure on the sidelines. I am also afraid i cannot refer to any abilities the bloke has as i aint seen none since his arrival.

Yours, and some other people's appreciation of GH's medical history is the fan's equivalent of what is often called "lazy journalism" on this board. GH suffered from a dissected aorta in 2001, which is a serious and life threatening condition. Thankfully he wasn't one of the 50% of patients who don't even make it to the hospital. However, it has nothing at all to do with myocardial infarction (heart attack) as you and many others blithely presume, not that that would necessarily preclude him from managing a football club either.

To me, healthism comments are offensive and are up there with all the other 'isms and should be subject to the same censure.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal