collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 438503 times)

Offline Irreverent ad

Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #390 on: December 28, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
No chance we will be bottom 3.

I'm getting sick of these blasé statements when all the evidence is currently to the contrary.

So go on, convince me. Why is there no chance?

Just because my opinion is not the same as yours, does not mean it is blase! I don't have to convince you. My beief is we will finish in well clear as we have had a bad run of fixtures recently. If you don't agree with me, ho-hum I will get over it

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #391 on: December 28, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
]
We were similarly inept at City last season.

I don't actually think your memory is that good.  We went 1-0 up.  Made two defensive errors in almost as many minutes - in between which we hit the bar.  Their third was in the last few minutes when we'd pushed forward in search of an equalizer. 

I left Eastlands that sunny May Day thinking that for all the money thy'd spent they weren't that much better. I left today wondering  if I'll be back next season.

Made 2 defensive errors...sounding familiar to today....

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #392 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
Agree with Legion, back him for now. I'm trying to be positive, we've had a awful run of matches in December - Manure, L-pool, Arsenal, Man Citeh & Spuds, we've had load of injuries they are now coming back, once their back in their stride and we play 'lesser' teams, judge him then. Also, he has not been able to buy any players he wants it's MONs squad. If he doesn't do it after that, then he has to go....I would go for Lambert.

Question: All those having a go ay MON when we were 6th, would you take him back?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #393 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »
]
We were similarly inept at City last season.

I don't actually think your memory is that good.  We went 1-0 up.  Made two defensive errors in almost as many minutes - in between which we hit the bar.  Their third was in the last few minutes when we'd pushed forward in search of an equalizer. 

I left Eastlands that sunny May Day thinking that for all the money thy'd spent they weren't that much better. I left today wondering  if I'll be back next season.

Made 2 defensive errors...sounding familiar to today....

We were absolutely all over them, and despite the result, looked a really good side.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #394 on: December 28, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »
I never ever thought I would call for the dismissal of a manager after half a season but survival in the Premiership is so vital and escape from the Championship so difficult we dare not take the chance that Houllier might come good.

It is bloody rotten luck for him to come in when he did under the circumstances he did.   He got no dead cat bounce out of the team because we were not (yet) dead cats.   He has had a bad run of injuries, he has got some mischief makers in the squad and he has not had a transfer window to get his own players.   However, that is the way it is and he is stuck with it.

I want survival in the Premiership at all costs and if that means a nice man gets a bum deal sobeit.   He will have to go back to France and count his money.

The January transfer window is an irrelevance with Houllier in charge.   What is he going to do?   Draft in old war horses to scrap our way to safety?   If that is to be the scenario why has he pissed away half a season trying to be the poor man's Arsenal?   If he buys in young unproven players with potential the relegation battle will ruin them and they will probably buckle under the strain.   Houllier is in a no win situation.

It is the same arse uppards situation he created against Spurs.   Proven competent players in the form of Petrov and NRC were available but he decided to gamble on Delph after a nine month lay off and the massively inexperienced Hogg.   It was a big game and we desperately needed something out of it.   If Petrov and NRC were to play only half a game the half they played should have been the first half.   Likewise when he came to the club we had achieved Premiership security playing O"Neill's high energy ugly football.

He is supposed to be a great football thinker.   Why didn't occur to him to play the old way and rack up some points then ease the team into the tippy tappy stuff he prefers, boosted by promising newcomers eased into the squad in January.

He has screwed it up big time and must not be allowed to waste any more precious games.

I would have liked Klinsmann but right now I would settle for Ray Wilkins.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #395 on: December 28, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »

I'm getting sick of these blasé statements when all the evidence is currently to the contrary.

Just because my opinion is not the same as yours, does not mean it is blase! I don't have to convince you. My beief is we will finish in well clear as we have had a bad run of fixtures recently. If you don't agree with me, ho-hum I will get over it

So we won't finish in the bottom three because... you don't think we will.

Great! I'll sleep so much better now.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

As I will with you thinking that we will.

We will stay up as there are at least 3 worse teams in the division than us. At least 10 when we are fully fit.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:02:50 PM by irreverent ad »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »

Why is that such a problem for you? Are you a member of the thought police? You have both analysed the evidence and reached different conclusions. We will see who is right in the end or whether Randy shares these fears.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #398 on: December 28, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »
I can't help but keep thinking of the Fulham and United results. It seems like those two results have done something mentally disturbing to the team.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #399 on: December 28, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
He has to stay. We cannot judge him on games against Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc. We all sound so fickle, judge him when he has played teams at all levels of the Premier League with his full strength full match fit team.

When that has happened, we'll be in the bottom three and waving goodbye to the Premier League.  Houllier hasn't got a clue.

What on earth have you seen this season that suggests we are not going to be in a relegation battle?

If we had 3 points more would you think we were in a releagtion battle or challenging for Europe (possibly 7th). The Wigan postponement came at the worst time for us. I will ask you personally as no one has answered me...how many points were you expecting from these fixtures: Man City (A), Spurs (H), WBA (H), L'Pool (A), Arsenal (H), Blackburn (A) and Man U (H)?

We have better players than our position shows and money to spend I am sure.

Under Houllier, not many.  I was actually shocked we beat the Baggies at home.  Thats how low we are at the moment.  The games we have won under Houllier have hardly been convincing.  Scraping a win against a reserve Blackpool at home, a win at a very very poor Wolves team and a flattering win at home to WBA.

As much as MON gets slated, i think we'd have grinded out a few more results against those teams 

The results are concerning.  But the perfomances have been wholly unacceptable against the teams you mentioned. (Apart from against Man United and WBA).  There is such a lack of fight, a lack of passion.  The players have absolutely no confidence and seemingly no will to give their all for the manager.(something that could never have been claimed of the same players under MON).  I think a no of players and the manager have gone into these games fully expecting to get beat. 

We are so tactically inept and unorganised.  Defenders are making mistakes Sunday league players would be ashamed of.
We have a real lack of cutting edge.  We do not look like scoring goals.

If, as you say we had 3 more points, I would still be really worried.  Performances under Houllier started mediocre and have got sharply worse.  Unless things drastically change we are in huge trouble.

As for the transfer window, what players are out there, avaliable in January that are willing to come to a club with such a bad feeling about it at present.  I also wouldn't trust Houllier with large sums of cash considering some of the dross he signed at Liverpool.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:11:25 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline DangerousBri

« Reply #400 on: December 28, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »
i understand peoples reasons for thinking give him chance with his players... so far heres a list of players weve been linked with
Pires - we got
Omar Cummings - we got on trial
Juninho (lyon)
piquione
cisse

id rather get rid of him now and see either martin jol in or owen coyle

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #401 on: December 28, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »
If someone had told me 12 months ago that in a year there would be calls to appoint Neil fucking Warnock to avoid relegation, despite only losing one player we wanted to keep, I'd have thought them insane.

Houllier should be given time, not because I've any kind of faith that he can inspire this bunch of overpaid wankers to fulfill their potential or earn their money, just because there is no-one else out there.

What a fucking mess.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #402 on: December 28, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
i understand peoples reasons for thinking give him chance with his players... so far heres a list of players weve been linked with
Pires - we got
Juninho (lyon)
piquione
cisse

If we are going on linked players you conveniently forgot Barton, Demba Ba, M'Villa, Fofana, Lacina Traore, Makoun, Wiendefeller etc but hey don't worry about them....

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #403 on: December 28, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »
2 months ago I put on here that Houllier was not the man for us and I got pelters.

Interesting to see a few people who have done a U turn since mugging me off back then.

He's not Villa, he has no passion for us and if anyone on here honestly thinks that he will do anything for us in January then look at his first choice of a loan player - 37 year old Pires.

If I wasn't so upset about it it would be funny. As our kid said on an earlier post this evening - get him f***'in gone.

Filling the away ends at Burnley and Doncaster might be a laugh for some but not for me I'm afraid.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #404 on: December 28, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Pires - we got
Juninho (lyon)
piquione
cisse

Benzema
Payet
Makoun
Given
Diarra
McGregor
N'Zogbia
Hoarau
M'Vila

I'm not sure the nonsense written in the press is of much relevance as a pro or a con.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal