collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:30:28 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:27:14 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:14:34 PM]

Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by AV84
[Today at 07:47:51 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:30:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:29:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:28:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 08:28:45 PM]

[Today at 08:27:32 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:27:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:24:43 PM]

[Today at 08:24:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437392 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #375 on: December 28, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #376 on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
He has to stay. We cannot judge him on games against Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc. We all sound so fickle, judge him when he has played teams at all levels of the Premier League with his full strength full match fit team.

When that has happened, we'll be in the bottom three and waving goodbye to the Premier League.  Houllier hasn't got a clue.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #377 on: December 28, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »
He has to stay. We cannot judge him on games against Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc. We all sound so fickle, judge him when he has played teams at all levels of the Premier League with his full strength full match fit team.
Why shouldn't we be angry and disappointed when we are not competing against these teams we were beating them last season, we are getting dragged down by GH you must be blind not to see this, I am not fickle 41 years a fan good times and bad, i'm just angry we are going backwards fast under GH and GM he must be relieved of his duties

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #378 on: December 28, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
If I had to predict what will happen, I'd go for an average second half of the season, a 13th place finish and a "by mutual consent" in June.

With Steve McClaren coming in as a replacement when Wolfsburg finish mid-table.

That is a wildly optimistic predicition imo. 

At best I think we'll scrape 16 or 17th, surviving on the last day due to there being a lot of very poor teams.

Unless we sack Houllier.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #379 on: December 28, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »

When that has happened, we'll be in the bottom three and waving goodbye to the Premier League.  Houllier hasn't got a clue.

No chance we will be bottom 3.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #380 on: December 28, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »

Until today, I'd have agreed with that.

Now, though, I'm nothing like as sure.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #381 on: December 28, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »

What on earth have you seen this season that suggests we are not going to be in a relegation battle?

Our managers brilliant tactical knowledge?
Our resolute defending?
Our cutting edge up front?
Our seniors players
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:45:18 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #382 on: December 28, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »
Owen Coyle is the only one I would go for.
He would get the respect of the players and play the football we all want to see.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #383 on: December 28, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
If I had to predict what will happen, I'd go for an average second half of the season, a 13th place finish and a "by mutual consent" in June.

With Steve McClaren coming in as a replacement when Wolfsburg finish mid-table.

That is a wildly optimistic predicition imo. 

At best I think we'll scrape 16 or 17th, surviving on the last day due to there being a lot of very poor teams.

Unless we sack Houllier.
We're not very good at the moment.

But as you allude to, there are a lot of teams who aren't very good and at least five who are worse than we are.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #384 on: December 28, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »

I'm getting sick of these blasé statements when all the evidence is currently to the contrary.

So go on, convince me. Why is there no chance?

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #385 on: December 28, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Why shouldn't we be angry and disappointed when we are not competing against these teams we were beating them last season, we are getting dragged down by GH you must be blind not to see this, I am not fickle 41 years a fan good times and bad, i'm just angry we are going backwards fast under GH and GM he must be relieved of his duties

Did we beat all of those teams last season? I can only remember beating Liverpool in the corresponding fixture last season.We were similarly inept at City last season. We are going backwards because our manager is trying to stop us playing long ball in order to take us forward. No investment in 2010 and a former manager walking out on us on the eve of the season.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #386 on: December 28, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »

What on earth have you seen this season that suggests we are not going to be in a relegation battle?

If we had 3 points more would you think we were in a releagtion battle or challenging for Europe (possibly 7th). The Wigan postponement came at the worst time for us. I will ask you personally as no one has answered me...how many points were you expecting from these fixtures: Man City (A), Spurs (H), WBA (H), L'Pool (A), Arsenal (H), Blackburn (A) and Man U (H)?

We have better players than our position shows and money to spend I am sure.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #387 on: December 28, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
Martin Jol all day long. 

Will he take it? I think he'd wait for a bigger job with a more stable club to come up.

We will have a lot of dodgy names to look at. Look at the shortlist who were interviewed: Curbs, KMac, Sven and of course Houllier. Add a few of the somewhat bizarre names people have suggested on this thread Venables (Christ!) and a few managers from the Championship like Grayson, O'Driscoll etc and you will have our shortlist.

For me our best option is to keep Houllier. If we must sack him I think the best option who we could get would be (as much as it would pain me) Big Sam. If we intend on reigning in spending he would cope and keep us up but it would come at long term cost of poor football and potentially hitting a glass ceiling.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #388 on: December 28, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »
]
We were similarly inept at City last season.

I don't actually think your memory is that good.  We went 1-0 up.  Made two defensive errors in almost as many minutes - in between which we hit the bar.  Their third was in the last few minutes when we'd pushed forward in search of an equalizer. 

I left Eastlands that sunny May Day thinking that for all the money thy'd spent they weren't that much better. I left today wondering  if I'll be back next season.

Offline eastie

« Reply #389 on: December 28, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »
The worrying thing is that now out injuries are clearing up we seem to be getting worse rather than better- the only thing that might save him is that he can try and clear out the bad eggs in the transfer window but I fear the damage has been done now.

Surely houllier should have seen Gary macs record as a coach and not touched him- a huge mistake which I think will cost him his job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal