collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: (United Fan) Q & A For Aston Villa v Manchester United  (Read 13210 times)

Offline S_E_A

(United Fan) Q & A For Aston Villa v Manchester United
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »
Hello all, I come in peace.

I run a Manchester United site (blog/forum) called Stretford End Arising.

As we face each other on Saturday are you interested in answering a few questions regarding Villa? The aim is to give my readers an insight into United's next opponents. A link to your site will be included in published article.

Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham and Everton fans have already participated this season in what I'm calling "Other Side Of The Coin". Here is a link to feature - http://www.stretfordendarising.com/category/other-side-of-coin/

Regards,
Andrew
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:57:51 AM by S_E_A »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: (United Fan) Q & A For Aston Villa v Manchester United
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:12 AM »
No problem at all, ask away.

Offline S_E_A

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
Sorry, I did mean Villa in my original post. I use the same template when asking this question.

Thank you very much for allowing me to do this - really is appreciated  :)

Here are a few standard questions. If okay, I will ask Villa related questions later.

• What are your thoughts on Saturday’s game? How are Villa likely to line up? What formation do you think they will adopt and what team do you expect to be selected? Which players should United keep an eye on? Which United player do you think poses the greatest threat to Villa?

• Villa appear to have exciting youngsters coming through. Barry Bannan impressed massively earlier this season when he scored a hat-trick in the reserves fixture between the two clubs, plus there is Delfouneso and Albrighton. Which are your thoughts on these players? Are they good enough to become regular first team players? Which other youngsters are worth keeping an eye on?

• Which of the new summer signings have you been impressed by and who has disappointed?

• Favourite Manchester United vs Aston Villa match?

• Favourite all time Villa player?

Offline Risso

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »
Sorry, I did mean Villa in my original post. I use the same template when asking this question.
Thank you very much for allowing me to do this - really is appreciated  :)
Here are a few standard questions. If okay, I will ask Villa related questions later.
• What are your thoughts on Saturday’s game? How are Villa likely to line up? What formation do you think they will adopt and what team do you expect to be selected? Which players should United keep an eye on? Which United player do you think poses the greatest threat to Villa?
• Villa appear to have exciting youngsters coming through. Barry Bannan impressed massively earlier this season when he scored a hat-trick in the reserves fixture between the two clubs, plus there is Delfouneso and Albrighton. Which are your thoughts on these players? Are they good enough to become regular first team players? Which other youngsters are worth keeping an eye on?
• Which of the new summer signings have you been impressed by and who has disappointed?
• Favourite Manchester United vs Aston Villa match?
• Favourite all time Villa player?

We're currently in the middle of our worst injury crisis for years, so expect to see a lot of kids.  I think we'll try and keep it tight and play the following 4-5-1:

Young - Collins - Dunne - Warnock
Downing Bannan Clark Albrighton
Young
Agbonlahor

The emergence of the kids has been the high point of the season, and I think that Bannan, Albrighton and Clark all have bright futures for us. 

Summer signings, are you taking the piss?!  We lost our best player in Milner to your chums down the road, and our one new player was Stephen Ireland in part excchange.  I really like him as a player, but he's done absolutely nothing this season so far, I really don't think that Houllier rates him.

Favourite all time Villa - Man U match for me was the 1994 League Cup final.  Wasn't expecting much from the game but we battered you and had a great day out.

Favourite all time Villa player - Paul McGrath, thanks very much!

Offline S_E_A

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Thank you Risso!

Here are the final lot of questions

• Are you disappointed O'Neill is no longer manager? Has Gerard Houllier made a difference compared to Martin O'Neill's final season?
• United in recent times have an excellent record against Villa – why is this?
• Are Villa capable of competing for a Champions League place?

Offline Risso

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
Thank you Risso!

Here are the final lot of questions

• Are you disappointed O'Neill is no longer manager? Has Gerard Houllier made a difference compared to Martin O'Neill's final season?

Disappointed?  I was absolutely chuffed to bits to see the back of O'Neill and his dire brand of football.  The jury is still out on Houllier, but until he's had time to bring in a few of his own players and ship out the ones that he doesn't fancy, I think most fans will be patient.

As for your record against us, I suppose the simple answer is that you've nearly always had a better team than us, but in a way I think those sort of runs become self perpetuating after a while, with the team almsot expecting not to win.  It was nice to put the Old Trafford hoodoo to rest last season.

Unfortunately no, this season will be one of stabilising things after O'Neill left us in the lurch in the manner he did, so think that top 4 will be beyond us this season.  I'm pretty sure the top 4/5 will be Chelsea, you lot, Arsenal,  Man City and Spurs, probably in that order.

All opinions purely my own of course, I'm sure others on here will disagree with some/all of the above!

Offline S_E_A

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Thank you again, Risso. I'm hoping for varied opinions.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »
Ok

I think the line-up and formarion will be pretty much what Risso said.  I'd watch out for Bannan, and if Gabby does start, although he is coming back from injury, I believe he has a pretty good record against you so far.  From your lot, probably Berbatov will be the biggest threat, and Hernandez if he starts/comes on.

I do think both Bannan and Albrighton have massive potential, and if i'm honest i don't really think i've seen enough of Clark to judge.  Delfouneso, the jury is still out imho.

Stephen Ireland? Erm, it's been a slow start... I'll back him to come good though given time to settle.

If i'm honest i can only remember relatively few enjoyable games between the two sides.  Last season at Old Trafford ranks fairly highly in games I actually fully remember, having only been 6 or 7 for the 1994 LC Final.

Dwight Yorke - As much as I hated him for a while, my first Villa hero.

Any manager who thinks he has outgrown the club or develops an overwhelming self importance needs to go.  I am not particularly sorry to see the back of him, with his seemingly limited knowledge of foreign transfers and Leicester City brand of football.

I agree with Risso, I think it became a negative mindset going into the game which started us off on the back foot.  Hopefully the monkey is off our backs now and we'll have a real go tommorow.

I wouldn't really expect us to be challenging the champions league this year.  Having said that, the majority of the table seems to be bunched up, and even the best teams are capable of slipping up.  No-one looks nailed on for the fourth spot, so here's hoping!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
Are you disappointed O'Neill is no longer manager?

Disappointed?  I was absolutely chuffed to bits to see the back of O'Neill and his dire brand of football. 

Ha ha ha, talk about a skewed sample

;-)

Offline Risso

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
Are you disappointed O'Neill is no longer manager?

Disappointed?  I was absolutely chuffed to bits to see the back of O'Neill and his dire brand of football. 

Ha ha ha, talk about a skewed sample

;-)

Oh yes!  I think we need more views on Mr O'Neill, perhaps you could give us your opinion Mr Walnuts? ;)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »
Favourite match:

23 December 1970. Villa 2 Utd 1. Attendance 62500.
Scorers: Lochhead, McMahon. Kidd.

This was Third Division Villa against Utd who had won the European Cup two years earlier and with most of the big named players in the team.
Villa had drawn the away leg two weeks previously and the second leg was eagerly awaited. Queues for tickets stretched from the Trinity Road Enclosure turnstiles, behind the Holte pub, down Witton Lane and up Nelson Road back into Trinity Road. By early morning the back of the queue could be seen from the front! 
The atmosphere inside Villa Park on the night of the match was absolutely electric and many of us there still consider this our greatest game. Nobody wanted to leave the ground. The Utd keeper was Jimmy Rimmer. Who would have thought that twelve years later he would be playing in the European Cup Final for Villa.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »
I'm glad O'Neill has gone. He was the right person for the job four years ago but time has proven that when it came to transfers he was a ditherer. We'll have to wait and see with Houllier, but I personally suspect he's not "one for the future."

Because the game is all about money these days, to be frank.

Fair play to United, they have (as long as I can remember - from the 80s onwards) been very marketable due to their large support and this is something that gives them an advantage over everyone, other than those clubs bought by Russian billionaires and oil-drenched sheikhs. This helps make United better than most on the pitch, Villa included, sadly.

Not a cat's chance in hell at the moment. A few seasons down the road, with the emerging talent, maybe several astute signings and a manager being able to think outside the box (not certain that's Houllier yet) then who knows?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:46:30 AM by Chris Harte »

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
I think Albrighton and Clark have the makings of future internationals,but may sure your neighbours don't get to see these answer as they have previous with poaching Villa internationals.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »
Favourite match:

23 December 1970. Villa 2 Utd 1. Attendance 62500.
Scorers: Lochhead, McMahon. Kidd.

This was Third Division Villa against Utd who had won the European Cup two years earlier and with most of the big named players in the team.
Villa had drawn the away leg two weeks previously and the second leg was eagerly awaited. Queues for tickets stretched from the Trinity Road Enclosure turnstiles, behind the Holte pub, down Witton Lane and up Nelson Road back into Trinity Road. By early morning the back of the queue could be seen from the front! 
The atmosphere inside Villa Park on the night of the match was absolutely electric and many of us there still consider this our greatest game. Nobody wanted to leave the ground. The Utd keeper was Jimmy Rimmer. Who would have thought that twelve years later he would be playing in the European Cup Final for Villa.

This is more than my favourite Aston Villa - Manchester United match. This is my favourite Villa match ever.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »
Question for S_E_A

Why do some man utd fans wear the Newton Heath Scarf with the latest replica Red shirt underneath?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal