collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: (United Fan) Q & A For Aston Villa v Manchester United  (Read 13208 times)

Online lovejoy

Re: (United Fan) Q & A For Aston Villa v Manchester United
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
Cheers lads for answers. Do you mind providing brief after-match thoughts? Good luck for the remainder of the season.

Firsty as a general point I cannot fathom how you cannot see that you always get the rub of the green from the refs. Always. I was hoping you would have given us an "I know its funny aint it" response.

4 off the top:
Hernandez boots the ball into the Holte End after the whistle and doesn't get booked (he would have been subsequently sent off in second half. For about 10 years any player kicking the ball away after the whislte has been booked and the tongue in cheek tap into the goal after the whistle has become a thing of the past. He did hear it because clearly the hoof into the Holte wasn't what he would have done if play was live.
Nani clearly had his ego bruised be being tackled by Warnock and not getting a free kick and as he came back on he was clearly fuming. Next high challenge he looks round at where Warnock was 3 times before deliberately planting his elbow in Warnocks face. This is violent conduct. The ref somehow gives a yellow not a red.
Browns challenge in giving the penalty away denied a clear goal scoring opportunity - should have been a red card. (There is nothing in the rules about being last man this is just something made up by ill informed pundits).
Ashley Young was booked after scoring for jumping into the crowd. I think the rule is stupid but it is a rule therefore he got a yellow. Vidic did exactly the same thing after scoring but was not shown a yellow (his second).

In all seriousness I admire you coming on here and sharing information and I do not wish to appear bitter but we have had to put up with this from refs in United games for years and it is a real bug bear of mine.

I appreciate any views you have.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 10:45:57 AM »
Hernandez boots the ball into the Holte End after the whistle and doesn't get booked (he would have been subsequently sent off in second half. For about 10 years any player kicking the ball away after the whislte has been booked and the tongue in cheek tap into the goal after the whistle has become a thing of the past. He did hear it because clearly the hoof into the Holte wasn't what he would have done if play was live.

But as Andy Gray said on the commentary, it didn't warrant a booking as he was just "practising his finishing".  I'm not making that up either, he actually said it.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »
I love the way Sky make the rules up -just like the "was he last man" comments which have no basis in the laws of the game.

Offline Simba

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:35 AM »
Favourite Villa v Man U?

Yeah, well of course LC semi 23.12.70. great Man U team. Brilliant AV performance. Sir Bobby said" Villa were simply the better team". I was there for both games. Atmosphere. Christ, never to be repeated.

Still. I was at the '94 LC final as well, and again whatta pleasure to beat you guys.

Hate you as I (we all do), respect is there. Must be because beating Man u is important.

Lucky on Saturday though. I remember you in the second division!

Welcome. Thanks for manner of your approach.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Cheers lads for answers. Do you mind providing brief after-match thoughts? Good luck for the remainder of the season.

Firsty as a general point I cannot fathom how you cannot see that you always get the rub of the green from the refs. Always. I was hoping you would have given us an "I know its funny aint it" response.

4 off the top:
Nani clearly had his ego bruised be being tackled by Warnock and not getting a free kick and as he came back on he was clearly fuming. Next high challenge he looks round at where Warnock was 3 times before deliberately planting his elbow in Warnocks face. This is violent conduct. The ref somehow gives a yellow not a red.
Browns challenge in giving the penalty away denied a clear goal scoring opportunity - should have been a red card. (There is nothing in the rules about being last man this is just something made up by ill informed pundits).
Ashley Young was booked after scoring for jumping into the crowd. I think the rule is stupid but it is a rule therefore he got a yellow. Vidic did exactly the same thing after scoring but was not shown a yellow (his second).

In all seriousness I admire you coming on here and sharing information and I do not wish to appear bitter but we have had to put up with this from refs in United games for years and it is a real bug bear of mine.

I appreciate any views you have.

Amazingly Nani was sent off at our place last year but Vidic has got away with it 3 times now - home game two seasons ago where he tugged Gabby back and denied a scoring opportunity and I don't think we even got a free kick, then the Final last year.  Nani and Brown should have gone this time if the rules were applied properly and the ref had any balls.   But perhaps he was "managing the occasion", to quote the wanker Graham Poll.

Offline S_E_A

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
Hello again  8)

With United facing Villa on Tuesday are you interested in answering a few questions regarding Villa. We did this the last time the two teams met. Here is the blog article - http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2010/11/12/other-side-of-coin-villa-fans-on-o%E2%80%99neill-saturday%E2%80%99s-match-and-more/

Here are questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Tuesday’s game? What team is Gerard Houllier likely to select and what formation will he adopt? Where will the game be won or lost?

2. Your thoughts on Villa’s transfer activity during January? The transfer fee paid for Bent, money well spent?  Surprised by the signing? Initial thoughts on Makoun? Why has Randy Lerner allowed Houllier to splash the cash? Why the short stay for Stephen Ireland?

3. Last time we spoke I asked whether you were pleased Martin O’Neill was no longer manager and if Houllier had made a difference. It was too soon in Houllier’s tenure to give a fair assessment was the general response. What are your thoughts on Houllier now?

4. We also discussed several youngsters including Barry Bannan, Marc Albrighton, Gary Gardner, Nathan Delfouneso, Ciaran Clark and Eric Lichaj. How are they progressing? Are there any other young players  emerging from the ranks?

5. Are you concerned by relegation? Or do you believe Villa have enough quality to avoid an end of season battle?

Thank you  8)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Hello again  8)

With United facing Villa on Tuesday are you interested in answering a few questions regarding Villa. We did this the last time the two teams met. Here is the blog article - http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2010/11/12/other-side-of-coin-villa-fans-on-o%E2%80%99neill-saturday%E2%80%99s-match-and-more/

Here are questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Tuesday’s game? What team is Gerard Houllier likely to select and what formation will he adopt? Where will the game be won or lost?

Will be more than happy with a draw, but if your guys hit form then we could take a beating, worryingly you have not lost without playing great but at some point I guess it will click, just hope it isnt on tuesday. Impossible to tell what Houlier will do, every team selection has had a surprise element to it. I guess it will be 4-5-1 Friedel Walker Collins Dunne Clark-Downing NRC Petrov Young Agbonlahor Bent.
Our left back situation is a problem in that Clark is a centre half so expect Nanni to have a run at him. Gabby will probably play on the left to cover. Although I would like him to be up against Vidic.

2. Your thoughts on Villa’s transfer activity during January? The transfer fee paid for Bent, money well spent?  Surprised by the signing? Initial thoughts on Makoun? Why has Randy Lerner allowed Houllier to splash the cash? Why the short stay for Stephen Ireland?

Its been pretty good, we were in trouble and the signings have lifted the club. A lot of money for Bent who i think has limitations but his scoring record speaks for itself, we have been crying out for a goal scorer since Yorke (remember him). Makoun comes with a decent pedigree. Houlier was allowed to spend because we went the whole summer without addressing the squad. Ireland didnt want to come and has demonstrated that since he arrived, a terrible piece of business.

3. Last time we spoke I asked whether you were pleased Martin O’Neill was no longer manager and if Houllier had made a difference. It was too soon in Houllier’s tenure to give a fair assessment was the general response. What are your thoughts on Houllier now?

Having got off to a bad start both on and off the pitch, he seems now to have settled the situation, he has bought new ideas and a different style of play and the squad looks a lot better, there is still some dead wood to clear but it looks more promosing. Still not 100% convinced but he without doubt has the support of the owner and thats good enough for me right now.

4. We also discussed several youngsters including Barry Bannan, Marc Albrighton, Gary Gardner, Nathan Delfouneso, Ciaran Clark and Eric Lichaj. How are they progressing? Are there any other young players  emerging from the ranks?
Bannan is  a real prospect, Albrighton is raw but has proved good enough to be a PL player. Gardner yet to make a first team start but many who watch him are very exited. Delfounso looks promosing but too early to tell, Lichaj has had a few games but needs more time. Nathan Baker has impressed at left back but again is a centre half. Our reserves beat Arsenal reserves 10-1 the other week so it looks like there is talent coming through. How many will make it is another thing.

5. Are you concerned by relegation? Or do you believe Villa have enough quality to avoid an end of season battle? Three weeks ago, very, but the new signings and 3 wins on the trot have changed that, There are a lot worse teams in the PL than us. We will be OK.

Thank you  8)

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »

Despite winning last year, I'd be well happy with a draw.  United look like champions again this year and not many teams will get anything up there.  Can see Cuellar playing at right back, Clark at left back with the rejuvenated Collins and Dunne in the middle.

Great business all round, in and out.  I think Lerner's trusted Houllier to get the wage bill down and rewarded him with the money for Bent.  Hopefully we'll be able to offload the likes of Beye and Ireland in the summer too, if anyone's stupid enough to match their wages.

After the Sunderland defeat at xmas, a lot of people thought that might be it, but it looks like the players have faith in him and he's winning the fans over now.  Ive always said you cant sack a manager without giving him a chance to put his own team in place.

All coming on nicely, they've had no choice as they've all been thrown in at the deep end at various points this season and every single one has performed admirably.  You can add Baker, Herd and Hogg to the list as well.  I hope Gardner gets a few games before the end of the season.  Isaiah Osbourne is the pick of the bunch though, you should have a word with Fergie about him ;)

5. Are you concerned by relegation? Or do you believe Villa have enough quality to avoid an end of season battle?

Not worried at all.  Fairly sure we'll finish in the top half, which i'd have taken after that turncoat walked out on us in August.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »

I'm expecting a 4-3-3: Back four of Walker, Dunne, Collins and Clark. Midfield three of Makoun Petrov and Downing with Ashley Young, Darren Bent and Gabby Agbonlahor. Gabby doesn't look the greatest out wide but I think Houllier will favour him over Albrighton. I think we have turned the corner and that we now have a pretty decent side. However, as we have seen in recent matches Man United have a great deal of resilience and two marvelous strikers in Hernandez and Berbatov. I think we might go ahead but we will see a fightback from Man U leading us to lose 2 or 3 goals to one.

I'm delighted. I have wanted us to sign Bent for years and he can be the prolific goalscorer we have lacked since we sold your lot Yorke. Makoun started brightly against Wigan but tired and lost his bite after the yellow card. The jury is still out on him but I'm positive on the whole. Kyle Walker who we have loaned from Spurs seems pretty tidy too especially going forward. If we add Bradley to the mix then we have had a decent window where we have strengthened in key areas.

I think the cash has always been there but signing Bent may have been a reaction to the trouble we have had scoring goals this season. Maybe the talk of him being a panic buy is slightly accurate but I'm not complaining.

Stephen Ireland's problem is with his mind. I don't think he wanted to leave Money City and that has shown in his performances which have generally been disinterested in poor. I don't think he will find form or desire again which is sad as he is potentially one of the best players in the league if he had that.

Had you asked me following the defeat by Sunderland I'd have told you I wanted him gone. However, from there we have turned things around. He has bought well in the transfer window and has started to notch up improved results. From the day we signed Darren Bent he has changed his demeanour. Prior to that he seemed a beaten and worn out man but now he is smiling and happy. In terms of his tenure things are looking up but we need to continue to get decent results.

Nathan Baker has emerged from the reserves. A few years back he seemed an even better prospect than Clark but he faded badly. Recently, he seems to have improved and impressed the coaches enough to get first team chances. He is a centre half by trade but has been played at left back. A big lad (6ft3) he has really impressed with his pace and delivery from full back against Wigan and Blackburn. However, he is suspended for Tuesday.

In terms of the others you mention Ciaran Clark is really starting to stake a claim and should move across to left back on Tuesday. Gary Gardner is back in action for the reserves and should be making a claim for the first team soon. Guys like Hogg (who is now on loan), Bannan and Delfouneso have suffered from players returning to fitness. Bannan is going to be a big star if he reaches even half of his potential but he isn't getting as many first team chances. Same goes for Albrighton. I'd pick the pair ahead of Downing and Gabby but as long as we keep winning Houllier can do whatever he pleases.   

I wasn't one of those who were running around screaming that we were doomed earlier this season but I did start to doubt after Sunderland. As I've said though, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Results have improved and we have pulled up the table and we have also had a good trading period so I'm starting to think we will be well safe. The prevailing mood in the last week on here has been less one of a relegation battle and more of a late push for Europe. I see us more in midtable but with a good foundation for next season.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »
1. Old Trafford!

Offline S_E_A

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
Hello, thank you kindly for replying to questions. Hope I'm okay to post this, if not please delete.

Here is a preview of the game via my site - http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011/01/31/manchester-united-vs-aston-villa-premier-league-preview/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal