collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!  (Read 37510 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2010, 10:30:03 PM »

whether people like Houllier or not, he does things his way, and undeniably he has won trophies wherever he has been. I don't need the players to like the manager.

I know it's not the central point but I don't remember Houllier winning anything with the French national team, with Cantona, Ginola, M 'lazy' Desailly, L Blanc, J-P Papin, P Le Guen et al.

It is a very select group that have won anything at international level. Needless to say, I was referring to his domestic achievements only which quite frankly is all that matters. Scolari being a World Cup winner didn't help him at Chelsea, whereas Hiddink who's similarily won nothing internationally did the business without too much bother.
Well, you could have said so, "wherever he has been" is quite unambiguous to the untrained eye.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2010, 10:56:13 PM »
The question for me is how many of the players that finished last season under MON can improve, how many can maintain the same level for 3 or 4 years and how many had reached their peak and the only way is down.

I think Carew falls into the last category so he needs to be moved on.  Don't get me wrong, I think he has been a good player for us and what was needed at the time.  I think his fitness has let him down over the last 12 months, whether this is down to his age or lack of preparation for games, I don't know.

Worrignly, we have too many players that do not fall into the first two categories above and therefore I think we need quite a clear out if we are going to improve, or even stay in the top six.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »
Totally agree. Dunne is a classic example, though i think it is down to fitness with him. With the transfer window coming up and Gary Gardner and Delph on the way back we just have to get some decent results in the next couple of months ............

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:25 AM »
Selling players at the right time is an inexact science. For me Carew should have gone over a year ago, you sell while there is stil some value left in the player. Cahill we sold too early, Petrov we cling on to and will be worth nothing at the end of his contract.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
Petrov we cling on to and will be worth nothing at the end of his contract.
No player is worth anything at the end of a contract. They leave for free regardless.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
John:
Its been great, you have been a good signing for us and had some great matches. You have also had a lot of mediocre ones. I will remember you fondly but I think its time you moved on and we had a more prolific striker.
Oh and btw when we sing you are gonna score 1 or 2 we didnt mean per season. (winky thing)
Best Wishes.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
Is that all Houllier does is run to the media about his players? You hardly ever see Wenger or Fergie calling their players stupid etc.

No SAF has never critisized players or shipped them out the minute they pissed him off???

Offline lookslikedad

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »
I think this is another case of a primadonna footballer who's paid far too much, thinking their opinion is worth sh*t! If the manager pisses him off, so what! That's his porogative!

The manager has the right to criticise players just as fans have every right to slag off, moan at, criticise (deserved or otherwise) anyone who has anything to do with footballing matters as the club.
We pay their wages (indirectly) and we'll be here long after they've left.

And i'm sick and tired of reading comments from these poor multi millionaires; be it Carew (as much as I like the bloke!) Rooney (the arrogant scouse little turd) or... someone as insignificant as Craig Gardner.
They're not paid to give interviews and voice opinions. They're there to play football, or sit on various treatment tables. And that's all!
And in 10 years time we'll get to listen to their ill informed opinions on Sky, and take what they say as gospel.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal