collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!  (Read 37501 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Houllier was asked a question. He answered. Carew portrays the answer as a huge insult.

It is possible that Carew intended to put pressure on Houllier when he made this comment, by suggesting that the new manager is unpopular with the players. However, I think both Carew and Houllier knew the striker's days were numbered when the Frenchman arrived at Villa Park. Thus, the comments by Carew may just have been a plot to make it look like Carew's inevitable exit was caused by a rift with Houllier -- and not the fact that he is not good enough anymore.

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 08:35:42 PM »
I can forgive players who try their best for the club if they don't perform to a high standard, but Carew all too often has looked like he couldn't care less about the club and his performances on many occassions have left me appalled at the lack of effort he has shown.

I would not be surprised to see him frozen out now until being released in January. Aston villa deserve players who will give 100% to the cause- Carew does not fit that bill!

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »
No more Carew in a Villa shirt I'd wager.  He's been a good, not great player. 

As somebody said on another thread, I'm not convinced he's injured.  I'm not convinced and never have been completely convinced that he's top drawer.

Villa need a proper, proper goal scorer.  He isn't one.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
I agree with Chris - neither of them get much credit from this and it could, and probably should, have been avoided.

There was nothing in Houllier's original remark to warrant Carew feeling his manager was being disrespectful, but Houllier's follow up comments aren't great.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:51:02 PM by hilts_coolerking »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
If Houllier's comments are true then they're totally unprofessional and inappropriate. He, like Carew, should shut the fuck up and get on with his job. 

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
I'm sorry I'm with Carew. He is a Villa legend and houllier should have abit of respect.

Carew has said nothing out of turn.

I don't believe Carew is a Villa legend. I think he's gained more from Villa than Villa have gained from him. He's good, but not world class, and he's been in the right place at the right time to look good.

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
I get the impression Houllier is aware that any kind of bad vibes are likely to upset the apple cart before he gets chance to put his mark on the club.  The overly defensive approach to the derby, this slightly undignified response. 

I like Houllier and think that if he survives this injury crisis he'll do as well as the last manager.

Carew, if using the fact he wants a move at Christmas to not be available until then through 'injury' has proved to be more of a villain than hero.

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »

[/quote]
I think Gerard wants him out, and that is fine by me. Carew was pretty much undroppable under MON and  has done nothing for a while. If nothing else, I like the way seniority counts for little under the new boss.
Shame he was dropped quite alot, I think now he needs to prove himself to Houllier and us who've lost faith in him.
"The fans who sing my name every week" - barely hear it any more and dont use us as an excuse Mr. Carew

39 appearances last season despite some pretty iffy games. Hardly Luke Young type of dropped.

Well maybe it was just his inaffectiveness then.. Luke Young was unfairly dropped

I agree.  I was surprised it was 39 games when I looked it up.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:18:06 PM by ChrissyPrice »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
I'm with Gerard on this one. Methinks Carew's days are numbered.

I posted a couple of weeks ago that in the case of Carew it should be good riddance to bad rubbish and got called an idiot by a few.

The blokes attitude is a fucking disgrace and how on earth he has been elevated to a cult hero is beyond me.

Andy Gray - yes
Brain little - yes
paul mcgrath - yes
birchy - yes

Carew - my fucking arse

Birch? A Villa legend? An average player who ran around a lot and tried really hard. And you have him up there with McGrath, Little and Gray. Crikey.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
Its probably speeded up his departure to January rather than the summer.  Probably best for all involved.
Lets face it, we're hardly going to miss his recent contributions and I would prefer to see the Fonz playing even if (right now) he is not as good as Carew.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
For Houlier, the next two transfer windows cannot come around soon enough. It will bye bye to quite a few names: Carew, Sidwell, Davies being the most obvious. Bring in some technically gifted French lads who are quick and young and we can push on again.

Offline Oh Andy

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »
Houllier has done nothing wrong here. I'm liking his style. He's an intelligent fella and when asked a question he answers honestly. Carew has took offence and spouted off. Houllier obviously won't take any shit and won't have players living on reputation which is good because too many of them have become too comfortable.
Carew thinks he's a legend because his name is sung, however he doesn't realise that he's just very lucky that that his name fits in with a catchy anthem. 

Gerrard is going to be good for us.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
I'm sorry I'm with Carew. He is a Villa legend and houllier should have abit of respect.

Carew has said nothing out of turn.

I think the oft-misused world 'legend' just hit new lows here.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Non story. If houllier had arrived when JC still had something to offer then it might be an issue, but he doesn't and it's moot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal