collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 05:49:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:49:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 05:48:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:48:31 PM]

[Today at 05:46:33 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:45:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:44:41 PM]

[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New training regime..  (Read 21573 times)

Offline eastie

Re: New training regime..
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
I hope you are right john but I think man city and spurs have much more depth in their squads than we do this season and I'd expect GED to bring in a few players in the summer- the future I believe looks very bright for us now and I have great faith that GED will deliver .

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I'm not saying this will happen and I think 6th-8th is more realistic.  Just reserving my right to change my expectations if we're in the hunt by Jan and Gezza manages to get at least one good player in.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
I don't think that we're out of the top four race. Nobody's exactly been convincing yet, have they? I'd still say it's too early, but with all the problems on Merseyside there's no reason why we can't finish sixth, again, and no reason why we should be too far behind Spurs and City. Besides, with the Platini rules affecting even City's spending, we can afford a bit more time to build properly now, which is exactly what GH wants us to do. What with all this, our bright youth system already paying significant dividends, our potential stadium expansion and the fact the club is in not only safe hands but shrewd ones as well, I for one am very optimistic about the future.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »
I may be in the minority reading this thread, but I do favour results over style.  I welcome the idea of a more passing game, but to me that's becuase I see it as (part of) what we are missing to be a truely top side and start winning trophies.

Results have to take priority.

Even with the well documented shortcomings of MON's side in recent years we still managed to win 17 league games in the last two seasons. That's tough going in a league as competitive as the Prem.

It would be nice if a bit of tinkering got us the extra win or two we needed to improve on that but unfortunately football doesn't work that way.

A concern for me would be that we've played well in a fair few matches - Stoke for 70 minutes, Tottenham for large stretches of the game, even the first 30 minutes of the Newcastle match- and still lost. That would indicate a soft underbelly and the defence has looked ropey this year, Dunne in particular.

For that reason I'm not even sure if we can match the last two years wins/ points total - nevermind top it.

But the groundwork may need to be put in this season to get us going again next campaign. The thing is, even to *only* finish 7th/8th we'll need to put a run of form together at some point and win more matches than we lose, regardless of new manager/ looking to the future et.c. The way results have gone for us this year I really wouldn't like to assume we could look at any match or any stretch of games as guaranteed wins.

Online Monty

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »
In my view you cannot win or have success without a more passing style. It may mean results suffer in the short term, but in the long term it is absolutely imperative to success.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
I doubt that a style with higher emphasis on ball retention and short passes will improve results in the short run. However, there are some possible advantages:

• Less tiring -- thus making us less likely to concede goals late in the match. It could also help our fitness levels towards the end of the season.
  • Builds players confidences -- emphasis on ball retention makes it easier to "control the match" (an elusive term)
  • Players improve -- the players learn more/develop better skills when in possession. That's not necessarily the case when they are hoofing or chasing the ball.
  • Better players increase the number of tactical options -- for tactics to work, the players must be able to carry out the game plan. Better players are more able to change their way of playing when it is required.

If a more passing style can bring some of these advantages in the long run, then a change in style may lead to better results as well.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
...Besides, with the Platini rules affecting even City's spending, we can afford a bit more time to build properly now, which is exactly what GH wants us to do.

Won't we be affected by this ruling too though? 

My understanding is that we have been bankrolled by Randy's generosity for the past X years as well.  Correct me where I am wrong but how can we benefit more than Man City etc especially when we have more "catching up" to do which will inevitably demand greater spending (both in total and as a % of turnover)?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:48:27 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Online Monty

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
The point is that City's turnover, while greater than ours, is not so much greater as to allow them to outspend us in the manner that they have been. They have overtaken us with that enormous amount of money, but not by much - and with the rulings coming in, that's where their stretching away from us stops. We can build from here, no doubt about it.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2010, 01:19:17 AM »
I doubt that a style with higher emphasis on ball retention and short passes will improve results in the short run. However, there are some possible advantages:

• Less tiring -- thus making us less likely to concede goals late in the match. It could also help our fitness levels towards the end of the season.
  • Builds players confidences -- emphasis on ball retention makes it easier to "control the match" (an elusive term)
  • Players improve -- the players learn more/develop better skills when in possession. That's not necessarily the case when they are hoofing or chasing the ball.
  • Better players increase the number of tactical options -- for tactics to work, the players must be able to carry out the game plan. Better players are more able to change their way of playing when it is required.

If a more passing style can bring some of these advantages in the long run, then a change in style may lead to better results as well.

That all sounds fine in theory.

But the biggest thing to effect players confidence is wins, goals scored and goals conceded.

It was a feature of the brief stint we had under Kevin Mac that we looked bright and lively to start with and then folded like a deckchair when the opposition scored.

You can go out all week and put the emphasis on possession, neat triangles and the like. But the acid test is Saturday 3pm (Or Sunday 4pm/ Monday night 8pm in these odd times) and the opposition generally don't allow you to play the way you want. You have to earn the right.

It's marrying that improvement in our approach play (which I think we all agree needed an overhaul) with a pragmatism and ability to churn out results even if things don't always go our way.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
Petrov in new fitness coach is working spiel.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6457795,00.html

So is it fact, and I can't see why not, so was Mon's coaching regime as bad as some suggested.
If so, I assume that those last minute loss of points may become a thing of the past. I wonder if as a result we will lose out on something, though.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
All I know is they've certainly changed their tune since last March when the Villa players were queuing up to claim John Terry was talking out of his arse.

Online Monty

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:40 PM »
Petrov in new fitness coach is working spiel.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6457795,00.html

So is it fact, and I can't see why not, so was Mon's coaching regime as bad as some suggested.
If so, I assume that those last minute loss of points may become a thing of the past. I wonder if as a result we will lose out on something, though.

Judging by the Chelsea game, it seems to be working on Petrov already.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
It helps when your fitness coach is a madman.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
"My next level of fitness is dying," joked the Bulgarian. "After the next couple of weeks I may do two marathons in a row!

followed by a Mars bar.......pre nineties joke for you!

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »

Why does that skyports page have a link to the Martin Petrov profile?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal