collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:43:43 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Paul.S
[Today at 11:42:36 AM]

Champions League Contention by Astnor
[Today at 11:38:10 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Robin Olsen by London Villan
[Today at 11:32:24 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:18 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New training regime..  (Read 21568 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: New training regime..
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 09:20:14 AM »
We might never have seen Albrighton with O'Neil.

I think that's pretty much a given, he'd never have given him  a run in the team.

We wouldn't have see Luke Young or NRC again.

Shame that we've seen Sidwell though.

I just close my eyes when that bit happens.
No good Paulie, after seeing his orange head, you get that same image after looking at a light bulb and then shutting your eyes.
It's burnt onto your retinas.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:39:33 AM by 8 Ace Fletcher »

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
Everyone should be given a fresh start, including Sidwell.   Maybe his confidence was knocked for six by O'Neill?   Maybe he's just shit?  Let's give him a chance though.

Offline ventnor villain

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
I'd have thoguht a combination of working on physical fitness and tehcnical ability was an obvious for any football club. 
I wonder what they were doing before.
Kick and run in the morning followed by hoof and hope in the afternoon
MON has left.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
stick it in the mixer!!!! Put some snow on it!!!! They dow scower frum theyer!!! Tek no prisoners!!! get yower fingers from up yower arses!!!
Great football tactics! Fuck this fitness bollocks!

The thing is, from some of the things shouted near me in the ground, you'd have to say that some football fans show even less football and tactical intelligence than our home performances last year under MON did!

I would welcome a more possession-based, technical brand of football down Villa, even if we do finish 8/9th with less points. In the long run it will definitely be worth it, as shown by West Brom's current predicament.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »
I wouldn’t accept 8th/9th- not with the players we’ve got and a new emphasis on ball retention and movement. For those of us at WHL, we had a glimpse of some really quality attacking football with Heskey as the focal point of the attack. It was excellent to watch and we should have been three up by the time Heskey limped off.

I see that as a glimpse of things to come. With money to spend in January and things appearing to come together style wise, I think we’ll have another decent season.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
I'd have thoguht a combination of working on physical fitness and tehcnical ability was an obvious for any football club. 
MON has left.

That's why he was asking what they did before.

Offline ventnor villain

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
MON has left.

That's why he was asking what they did before.
I was just making the point that  had MON  been doing double training sessions that's what they would have consisted of: kick and run in the morning,  hoof and hope in the afternoon. Just trying to be witty. Failed.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
I wouldn’t accept 8th/9th- not with the players we’ve got and a new emphasis on ball retention and movement. For those of us at WHL, we had a glimpse of some really quality attacking football with Heskey as the focal point of the attack. It was excellent to watch and we should have been three up by the time Heskey limped off.

I see that as a glimpse of things to come. With money to spend in January and things appearing to come together style wise, I think we’ll have another decent season.

But that's exactly the point, we played more attractively, but lost the game (albeit after Heskey went off, but even with 90 mins from him there would have been no guarantees). Ok, that's risk you run, and it's worth it.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »

I was just making the point that  had MON  been doing double training sessions that's what they would have consisted of: kick and run in the morning,  hoof and hope in the afternoon. Just trying to be witty. Failed.

I think that's what CJ was getting at. He clearly failed too.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »
I may be in the minority reading this thread, but I do favour results over style.  I welcome the idea of a more passing game, but to me that's becuase I see it as (part of) what we are missing to be a truely top side and start winning trophies.

Offline Ads

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »

But that's exactly the point, we played more attractively, but lost the game (albeit after Heskey went off, but even with 90 mins from him there would have been no guarantees). Ok, that's risk you run, and it's worth it.

We'll still lose games under Houllier. The fact we have a striking problem doesn't help that, but I thought we deserved a point nonetheless.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
We'll still lose games under Houllier. The fact we have a striking problem doesn't help that, but I thought we deserved a point nonetheless.

The striking problems/options are no different than before, so that can hardly be used as an excuse for poorer results.

I'm prepared for short term pain for long term gain, but to me that gain needs to be in terms of points, league place and trophies and not just the intangible of 'better football.'

Offline Ads

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »

The striking problems/options are no different than before, so that can hardly be used as an excuse for poorer results.

I'm prepared for short term pain for long term gain, but to me that gain needs to be in terms of points, league place and trophies and not just the intangible of 'better football.'

I cannot remember Gabby being injured for as long as he has been. He's gone from one niggle to another so far this season. Hopefully his operation is the end of it. Its also fortunate that Heskey has shown some form in his recent appearances as Carew has looked abysmal.

As I've said, I don't think we will come 8/9th. Who is realistically going to push us down three spots? Everton? Fulham, Liverpool? SHA?! Not for me.

Offline eastie

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
Just read a book on houllier - he loves new training methods and rotating his squad- what a pleasant change he is.

Also was interested to know sir alex rang and asked his advice about signing cantona- I think the houllier era will be great for us and I am very impressed by him so far - keep it up GED!

Realistically with no tranfers in apart from Ireland I think we will be battling with Liverpool and everton for 6th to 8 th place and kick on from that next season when GED has bought some new players in - maybe a cup win with a bit of luck.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:16:19 PM by east19 »

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
Realistically with no tranfers in apart from Ireland I think we will be battling with Liverpool and everton for 6th to 8 th place and kick on from that next season when GED has bought some new players in - maybe a cup win with a bit of luck.

That's probably a fair and accurate assessment.  However......

I'm not sure about this, but haven't we got the 'easier' home games the the 2nd half of the season, so lots of points to be picked up there?  If you add that to what we expect to be fitter and fresher players when we usually had a slump, plus the return of Delph and maybe one new signing to further lift things, who knows? 

I think the key is to be within striking distance of 4th after Christmas and then we may have loftier ambitions. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:44:21 AM by John M »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal