collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 02:43:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 02:42:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:42:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by martin o`who??
[Today at 02:42:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 02:42:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 02:42:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 02:42:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fŕbregas Interview in the Times  (Read 13643 times)

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
Fŕbregas Interview in the Times
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:04 AM »
In today's Times Cesc Fŕbregas criticises the win-at-all-costs mentality in the Premier league and believes that it is of no help to England's international cause. Here are some quotes from the article:
“In Spain we believe in one style of football. The way we play is most important. It’s not just about winning, it’s about how you do it. If you lose, you go again. You will never play the ball long or do things you are not used to. We want to win by playing football.
“No Spanish teams would play like Bolton. Here in England it is all about passion – the fans love it when there are hard tackles and you play long balls and counter attack. But if you do that in Spain they will boo you. Even if you win.
“One of the things you see a lot in Spain is children playing football on the street with their friends. You fall on the floor, you hit a wall, you sometimes break some windows, but you get back up and that is the beauty of football in Spain.
“In Spain they make you study and have discipline. You can be a good footballer, but if you don’t study, if you don’t behave, if you don’t have the discipline to get to training on time then they don’t care. If you think you’re better than the others, they’ll put you on the bench straight away.
“Mentality and self-belief are really important. I can give you two examples of players who have won everything – Xavi and [Carles] Puyol – and they are the first to be on the training pitch and the last off. And you see them and think, “These guys have won everything, they could do what they want and we would not say anything”. They could choose the easy way, but they choose the hard way.”

Offline *shellac*

Re: Fŕbregas Interview in the Times
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
He's off to Barcelona next season then.

Offline RickySlade

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
I must say though I think Fabregas looks like a greasy pervert, he does touch on a couple of interesting points here.  Nonetheless, I don't agree with the 'Bolton' bashing.  However, I believe the ideas of discipline/etiquette/respect are extremely important.  The reason I border on unrational dislike for most of the England national team - JT/Lamps/Ashley Cole - is because they come across as egotistical smeg heads who do not even know the meaning of the word respect.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
One of the things you see a lot in Spain is children playing football on the street with their friends. You fall on the floor, you hit a wall, you sometimes break some windows, but you get back up and that is the beauty of football in Spain.
yes, but only after writhing on the floor in agony for 15 minutes, begging for the floor to be sent off, then jumping straight back up in complete recovery, as soon as a decision has been made...

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »
They have had a golden generation like France did 12 years ago, and now he's an expert on how to play the game. How many times at previous comps have they fluffed?

But the purpose of the article is right, young talent in this country is poorly developed and the ones who do get to clubs care more about money/fame than about playing.

Offline burtonreferees

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »
The way Spaniards play football reflects thier society in general, extremely respectful and pride in their achievements. They don't tend to have high profile footballers in drugs and cheating on their wives scandals. This is where our football is fundementally wrong. Until footballers get back to respecting everything from the referee to the supporters to the clubs they play for then we will never compete with the likes of Spain.

Online KRS

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
He was just on SSN praising the PL and England!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
I don't like watching the way Bolton (in the past), Blackburn or Stoke play - personally, I'd rather watch paint dry than sit through a season of that.

However, it does make me laugh to hear Wenger and Fabregas (to a lesser extent) whingeing about it.

What it comes down to is that Wenger's side play great football but they have a major issue when they come up against physical teams, who frequently get the better of them.

The answer is to adapt the way you play to overcome it, not to whinge on about it like the first obligation of all teams is to play against Arsenal in a way which enables them to play to their strengths.

If you play in the English league with a team of players of the physical constitution of Samir Nasri or Rosicky, you will win nothing. I don't know why Wenger seems to have forgotten this in recent years. It's as though he's forgotten how important Patrick Viera was for them.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
We hear the phrase 'golden generation' a lot.  France had there's, as did Holland without winning the World Cup, and now Spain's.  We also heard it about England, but were they not good enough or just threw it all away as they we more in love with money than playing for their country?

Bit of both, probably.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
The way Spaniards play football reflects thier society in general, extremely respectful and pride in their achievements. They don't tend to have high profile footballers in drugs and cheating on their wives scandals. This is where our football is fundementally wrong. Until footballers get back to respecting everything from the referee to the supporters to the clubs they play for then we will never compete with the likes of Spain.
I understand the point you're making and am not criticising it, but the Spanish teams of the '60s / '70s / '80s were renowned for their phyiscal approach - The Beast of Barcelona being a notorious example. Yes, they have cleaned their game up but I think it's dangerous to draaw too much of a social parallel in all of this. Having said that, most of the British footballers at the top of the game are not going to win any prizes for role-modelling.
In a related way, the FA could learn alot from the approaches of Germany and Spain from both a footballing and administration perspective ... but they have to want to and at the moment they are too in love with the money to care enough.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:08:17 PM by EffDee »

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »
it's a bit rich saying its not good for the national team when you play for a club with virtually no Englishman on the payroll

Offline glasses

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
It's as though he's forgotten how important Patrick Viera was for them.
And Gilberto Silva, Sol Campbell, Lauren, Emmanuel Petit. He didn't seem to mind these players kicking lumps out of the opposition back when Arsenal were winning things did he?

The sooner Fabregas buggers off the better in my opinion.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »

I dont think it's just our footballers doing it. I just think our red tops report/ sensationalise it a lot more.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
For everything Fabreagas says that may or may not be true, the one stat that screans out at you i the comparison of qualified coaches in England compared to Spain.  Was it something like 250 compared to 3,000?  That's not about the conduct of young men, how the professional clubs play or a reflection of the social situation in the country.  It's about having people who know what they're doing teaching kids the basics of ball control and movement.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
I don't like Chelsea as a club, but I do like the way they play. They are close to the perfect combination of pace, power and subtlety. They can knock it around, but they are punishing with their physical play, and in the penalty area, very clinical. It's all good and well watching Arsenal knock it around all day long, but you've got to be able to mix it up and be ruthless when need be. Wenger's arrogance at not accomodating that philosophy is his undoing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal