collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AV84
[Today at 09:48:55 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:36 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:33:23 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McAllister, Cowans & the new Back Room staff  (Read 55055 times)

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Re: McAllister, Cowans & the new Back Room staff
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
Like the general balance of the new management team. When some of the KMac adorers of the first team dont see eye to eye with H Cowans will be there to talk it through and settle things down. Also Mcallister will bring a strong presence to the team ......

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
MON is'nt the first manager to walk out on a football club and i'm pretty sure he won't be the last. We're in danger of making ourselves look silly if we keep harping on about it 7 weeks after it happened. We'll probably never know what happened until he writes his autobiography. Until then, can't we just get over it and support the new regime?
There's nothing wrong with discussing a previous manager.
We still sometimes discuss O'Leary even now.

You're coming across as a bit obessed if you don't mind me saying so Mark.

Anyway, O'Neill did a good job. O'Deary was a waste of space. I've moved on from both either way.

I do mind you saying so, he's being discussed on a regular basis because his actions have impacted on the way the season has started and all the problems we've encountered.
Righly or wrongly, he left the club 5 days before the start of the season which is highly unusual for any top flight club, I can see no harm in discussing/debating his merits and trying to get to the bottom of exactly WHY he left.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
MON is'nt the first manager to walk out on a football club and i'm pretty sure he won't be the last. We're in danger of making ourselves look silly if we keep harping on about it 7 weeks after it happened. We'll probably never know what happened until he writes his autobiography. Until then, can't we just get over it and support the new regime?

Anyway, O'Neill did a good job. O'Deary was a waste of space. I've moved on from both either way.

I do mind you saying so, he's being discussed on a regular basis because his actions have impacted on the way the season has started and all the problems we've encountered.
Righly or wrongly, he left the club 5 days before the start of the season which is highly unusual for any top flight club, I can see no harm in discussing/debating his merits and trying to get to the bottom of exactly WHY he left.

We're nowhere near stopping feeling the impact of his fucking off when he did, it's pretty much bollocksed the entire season.

We shouldn't let it dominate the rest of the season, we need to move forward under GH, but really, it is naive to assume some sort of statute of limitations exists which means that enough time has passed for the effects to not matter any more.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »

Agreed, and on an Aston Villa discussion board why not discuss Martin O'Neill?  Or David O'Leary?  Or Graham Taylor or John Gregory?  Heck, we still have arguments over Doug Ellis every now and then.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
We're nowhere near stopping feeling the impact of his fucking off when he did, it's pretty much bollocksed the entire season.

Actually, has it?  bear with me here....

OK, we're out of Europe.  But the same opponents knocked us out last year aswell, so would him have staying changed that? 

And we have 7 points from 5 games, which were gained under the leadership of what we now know to be the wrong man for the job.  Most importantly we're only 1 point from 4th, so everything to play for there.

Yes, his leaving may have stopped us recruiting, but does that not mean we're ideally placed to be big players in Jan?  Imagine another Carew and Young added to our present squad. 

I think our season starts now and we may be surprised!

Offline DeeBoy1

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
I like your style!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
I think in hindsight we'll look back to his sudden departure and conclude that he did us a big favour my leaving, even if the timing was not ideal.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »
I think in hindsight we'll look back to his sudden departure and conclude that he did us a big favour my leaving, even if the timing was not ideal.

Your leaving would indeed be doing us a very big favour, Kelly, you massive drama queen.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »

We shouldn't let it dominate the rest of the season, we need to move forward under GH, but really, it is naive to assume some sort of statute of limitations exists which means that enough time has passed for the effects to not matter any more.

Of course it hasn't "bollocksed the entire season". We're only one significant player different from last season with, I hope, the prospect of adding to the squad in January. If Gerard can get us organised and competitive over the coming months and we then get the boost of new signings after Christmas then I think we can look forward with some optimism.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »

Actually, has it?  bear with me here....

OK, we're out of Europe.  But the same opponents knocked us out last year aswell, so would him have staying changed that? 

And we have 7 points from 5 games, which were gained under the leadership of what we now know to be the wrong man for the job.  Most importantly we're only 1 point from 4th, so everything to play for there.

Yes, his leaving may have stopped us recruiting, but does that not mean we're ideally placed to be big players in Jan?  Imagine another Carew and Young added to our present squad. 

I think our season starts now and we may be surprised!

We've spent first few weeks looking for a new manager, and now we have one, he's having to meet the players for the first time a month into the season.

He's never going to hit the ground running and get things going his way from the off.

The reason we found ourselves fishing from a limited pool of managerial options is the same reason MON's leaving when he did is going to have such a lasting impact - we'd have struggled to convince other managers to do to their clubs what MON did to ours, ie drop them in a sizeable vat of shit.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
We've spent first few weeks looking for a new manager, and now we have one, he's having to meet the players for the first time a month into the season.

He's never going to hit the ground running and get things going his way from the off.

Yet how often do you we see managers taking a job mid season and getting an imediate reaction from the players? 

Houllier has a good squad to work with, basically the squad that finished 6th last year, so should be able to do well with us if he's any good!   

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »
trying to get to the bottom of exactly WHY he left.

Maybe because his stock at Villa was falling by the day as more and more of even his staunchest supporters [I'm including myself there] were seeing through his childish stobborness towards certain costly purchases, the England job looked likely to be up for grabs at any day and he gambled on getting a crack at it, now or never, before his bubble burst and Randy sent him packing ten games into the season.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »

Your leaving would indeed be doing us a very big favour, Kelly, you massive drama queen.
Thanks, your majesty. I'm going to put your Royal seal of approval on all my posts and stationery now.
Her Majesty Queen of Drama Paulie Walnuts I, has awarded a Royal Warrant to Mark Kelly.

What exactly is your coat of arms. A crown, a handbag, some lipstick, a pair of high heels on a big girls blouse?

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »

What has "bollocksed" the season, is the boards inability to appoint a manager before the end of the transfer window.

MON left, it would/should have been an ideal opportunity to get a new manager in, with the funds from the Milner sale, to invest in better players than we currently have, and if possible, move some out.We did'nt, and for me the bigger question is why did MON go, and why did'nt we get a manager in until after the transfer window.

Worrying times for me as a Villa fan, if we had appointed a Jol/Hiddink/Moyes/Hughes, we would have got an extra 5'000 in the last 3 home games.Thats an extra £200k per game.Short sighted thinking in my eyes.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
And how do you know none of those were approached?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal