collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Gareth
[Today at 12:04:57 PM]

Champions League Contention by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 12:04:52 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 12:03:25 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:02:07 PM]

Robin Olsen by Neil Hawkes
[Today at 11:57:36 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:43:43 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sky now saying phil Thompson will not be assistant!  (Read 76702 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Sky now saying phil Thompson will not be assistant!
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
It is good news for Houllier if Thompson isn't coming. Having him as part of the back room team would not have helped an already underwhelming appointment and given a bad start would have made things difficult because the crowd would have turned on Thompson. The negatives outweigh the positives.

It's not because he is from Liverpool or supports Liverpool that sets people against him, but the fact that he let's this influence his "punditry" on the TV. Biased towards Liverpool or any team playing a rival of Liverpool, acting with disinterest when not talking about Liverpool etc etc. He has no capability to temper his bias and as a consequence is a poor broadcaster, of course this suits Sky, after all they're not looking for incisive analysis of a match or they wouldn't employ Dean Windass.

If he was a good coach he would still be working in football and not pratting about in a TV studio every Saturday.

Having said that, if we appoint a manager he should be able to choose his back room staff, but in this case I get the feeling that Houliers job has become slightly easier without an unpopular assistant.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »
i'l be glad if Thompson doesnt come with Houllier,

i know its shallow, childish, nuerotic, or whatever but i just wasnt looking forward to seeing them both in the Villla dugout, and i dont mind PT when he's on SKY, he's bias but i accept that as he should be,

but will be happy for him not to be sitting in our corner to be honest

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
The thing about Thompson on Sky is he doesn't seem to have a single clue what he's talking about.  Maybe in the Houllier/Thompson double act one is the brains an the other the mouth, but I've never seen him put across anything insightful a bloke down the pub couldn't.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »
Houllier should be able to bring in whoever he wants and not have have an employee (even one so respected and liked as MacDonald) thrust onto him in a key position. If that is the reason Thompson rejected Houllier's approach after seemingly wanting the role then it is an indictment of the Board's approach.

Either Houllier is the right man and you back him fully, or they shouldn't bother at all.

What happens when Houllier goes to Lerner to ask for £xm for a player? Is that why MON left? I wonder if those types of questions will be going round his head. Yes, it's a shitty way to treat a loyal servant like KM, but we either do this correctly right now, or we'll be in another mess at some point in the future.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »
I wouldn't have been agianst the idea of him being coach. Rather him than a statue like Robertson or whatisname 'the big sulk'.

He annoys the hell out of me on the TV, but I would never doubt his passion for football.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
I've just found out what happened.

Thompson, Merson, Stelling and Le Tissier where all sitting round at home having a last cup of tea before he left when the lads started on their usual banter. In walked Charlie Nicholas with his Blackberry in hand saying "hey Thommo you big nosed scouse, twat" "Oi, that's out of order, la," he replied. To which Charlie says "Not my words, Phil, but the words of "Heroes and Villains website, look here" and handed him his phone.

He was then straight on to Murdoch asking for his job back.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Mike Bassett is nailed on to become his assistant at 4/5.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
Having watched Villa and reported on them on Sky, and often not too complimentary, he decided that the rubbish Mon had left behind was too big a task so took the easy option and stayed with Sky.

More likely as he'd been foisted on Houllier once Houllier was avoiding the choice this time and went for someone with a decent track record.
Who, I don't know and won't guess.

Where have all the ITK's gone bye the way, did any of them predict Ged

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
Having watched Villa and reported on them on Sky, and often not too complimentary, he decided that the rubbish Mon had left behind was too big a task so took the easy option and stayed with Sky.

More likely as he'd been foisted on Houllier once Houllier was avoiding the choice this time and went for someone with a decent track record.
Who, I don't know and won't guess.

Where have all the ITK's gone bye the way, did any of them predict Ged

I'm no ITK, but I did say this on August 9th in response to ozzjim's post

Quote from: ozzjim on August 09, 2010, 01:14:20 PM
Jol is the only one that would give us the experience int eh prem and abroad, although him failing to win the league with Ajax to second choice steve worries me a lot!!

What is there in Spain - was Michael Laudrup doing well out there?

Rijkaard would be great in terms of the name, but not proven outside of Barca at all.

Someone that knows French football think there is anyone half decent in France that could do a good job?

I would have loved Laurent Blanc. Wouldn't be surprised to see Houllier apply.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
I really can't see Martin coming back, least of all as a assistant. He's holding out for the England, Man Utd or Real Madrid job.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
It would have been amusing to see the backtracking he would have engaged in had he landed the role.

Afterall, in recent times he' said:

*6th is great for a club like Villa
*MON was right to leave
*Villa are a selling club

Even pre MON fallout back in 2008, when everything in the garden was rosy -save the bindippers coming in for Barry-  and we looked like we were on the move, he was adamant that we'd need to sell as we'd spent a fair bit that summer and would need to "balance the books." (we didn't - not the first time he was wrong).

Don't have a problem with his Redscouse connections. Don't even have a problem with him not pissing in our pockets and telling everyone how great we are. Do have a problem with him having a constant downer on the club though.

As I would with anyone constantly rubbishing us either through print or spoken media. But maybe I'm funny that way.

Looks like this is textbook example of someone talking themselves out of a job.

Shame.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:22:17 PM by KevinGage »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
Thompson, Merson, Stelling and Le Tissier where all sitting round at home having a last cup of tea before he left when the lads started on their usual banter. In walked Charlie Nicholas

Short of adding Alan Brazil to the mix, I can't think of a selection of media types I'd less like to share a room with.

What a collection of horrific twats.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
I really can't see Martin coming back, least of all as a assistant. He's holding out for the England, Man Utd or Real Madrid job.

What has that got to do with my post?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »

What has that got to do with my post?

He's suggesting that MON is actually Mike Bassett, by joking.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
Ah, not on form today. Do excuse me. :p

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal