collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:56:39 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:53 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:54:44 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Re: MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:50:34 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:49:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread  (Read 53649 times)

Offline cdward

Re: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
A well needed win, it keeps us above the Blouse, so we can now spend the next 2 weeks, telling them even when we are sh*t we are still better than them.
In a business that is all about results, we really deserved that one I don't care how we got it but we did.
Maybe we were lucky, Everton should have scored, maybe we will find ourselves on the wrong end of a game like that during the season. I am glad we got the 3 points for K Mac, Randy and everyone who loves this club.
I think the new manager has quite an easy job, there is not much wrong with this team, and it is a good squad to build on, we don't need a few seasons of building, one or two new players and we will be challenging again.
We can now close the chapter on K Mac's managerial spell, P5, W2, D1, L2, and look forward to the next chapter in Villa history.
UTV

Offline sfx412

« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
Young looked comfortable on the ball but I thought Piennar and Baines got round him too often yesterday, that might be because he needed better support but it stopped him being a mom contender for me.

It was and it was corrected by Albrighton dropping back second half. As to MOM anyone who scores the only goal always deserves serious consideration, especially when he's a full back who ran on into the penalty area and scored with his weak foot, but then Mon rarely picked him so he must be rubbish.

I thought one incident in the second half summed up NRC perfectly. He won the ball really well in our half, fed Young then bust a gut to get on the end of his return pass only to fluff the cross.

Thing is he did that several times and I tried hard to see any other midfield er who even did that, most seemed to be turning their backs and passing backwards and running away. But if that's your preference fine, it was obviously Mon's that's why he rarely picked Reo

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
For me, a completely gripping game.  I did struggle with the referee, pretty much through the whole game.  Thought we looked short up front with Carew, changed a little with Agbonlahor, looking forward to him being full fit.  Defence was strong, and Friedel played well, I did however think L Young left too many holes when he went forward, but Albrighton covered nicely.  Lot of poor comments on Downing, I didnt think he had a bad game, for me, middle of the park was where we lost it.  Reo looked unfit, couldnt read the game, and seemed to have no concept of man marking.  That combined with a Petrov that is slower than most Premiership midfielders, makes that area too easy for teams to attack, wave upon wave.  But boy, did I enjoy the result, and i was well pleased to be watching it live.  Well done lads.  Ashley Young is a world class player, and needs to stay here.  I remain delighted that if we had to lose a star it was Milner not Young

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2010, 12:52:04 PM »
Smashing game. The defence was brilliant as was Ashley Young. I thought NRC and Petrov ran their knackers off, but Petrov looks a bit slow. Carew was poor, he needs a goal.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
Young looked comfortable on the ball but I thought Piennar and Baines got round him too often yesterday, that might be because he needed better support but it stopped him being a mom contender for me.

It was and it was corrected by Albrighton dropping back second half. As to MOM anyone who scores the only goal always deserves serious consideration, especially when he's a full back who ran on into the penalty area and scored with his weak foot, but then Mon rarely picked him so he must be rubbish.

I thought one incident in the second half summed up NRC perfectly. He won the ball really well in our half, fed Young then bust a gut to get on the end of his return pass only to fluff the cross.

Thing is he did that several times and I tried hard to see any other midfield er who even did that, most seemed to be turning their backs and passing backwards and running away. But if that's your preference fine, it was obviously Mon's that's why he rarely picked Reo

Does every single post you make have to have some sort of provocation in it? You really are childish.

Reo Coker is energetic and  hard-working but limited as a footballer as the incident I mentioned highlighted all too well.

It was a very well taken goal, but I have never thought one incident in 90 minutes should earn anyone a mom award. He had a decent, steady game but our 2 centre halves were our best performers by a mile.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »

Agreed. NRC is aggressive, a good ball-winner and he drives forward powerfully, but time after time he messes up the final pass.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Quite a few twitchy bum moments, our midfield has lost their way and the ref was utter gash. Based on all 3 league games to date, my next team would be:

Friedal
Young - Cuellar - Dunne - Warnock
NRC - Collins
Allbrighton - Ireland - Young
Agbonlahor
I like this. I have an opinion  for a while now that Collins would make a great holding midfielder and his distribution is  very good, full of energy and a real threat in attack.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
I thought NRC had a great game yesterday, covered a lot of the pitch, great tackling, some good runs at Everton defence, great tackling. Fair play to him. Also it's great to be playing Luke Young in a correct position, it payed off. We couldn't keep trying make Cuellar fit into that role, it's not fair on him.
Albrighton looks great, if A Young is sold, I think he can step into that role.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »

Agreed. NRC is aggressive, a good ball-winner and he drives forward powerfully, but time after time he messes up the final pass.

Not as often as some fans like to make out though.
He takes risks I'll admit, he'd often be safer playing backwards like some Mon stalwarts do more often than not, but was the most effective player in our midfield yesterday and in previous games.
He's not perfect, but again I ask how many other midfield players defended as well broke up play as often and also broke forward effectively?
In reply to L Youngs Mom he was up against it all game because of the lack of help, still managed to break free and score the goal and generally put in a good performance. He made a few poor clearances but then so did both Collins and Dunne, Collins several times.
Makes me wonder if  that defence would be out of Europe today.

Offline freakypete

« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
lots of pluses from the everton game, ok we rode our luck,but we played with togetherness spirit,wish the bloke behind me in the deadly lowe tear would get off downings back.nrc ran his socks off ,ashley worked hard too.defence solid what a difference luke young makes,its typical villa in over 40 years og supporting them ,we are great when our backs are against the wall.in the current climate at the club i really feel and sense a spirit of its us against the world.fans and players staff all pulling together makes you proud

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2010, 02:14:28 PM »

The final pass shouldn't be his role. His role is to break up opposition attacks, cover ground, tackle and just to be a rock in the middle of the pitch. With Ireland playing just ahead of him, NRC should be told to lay simple passes to him and let super Stevie do all the creative things.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
I thought Downing, without doing anything great in attack, tried very hard and was helping break down attacks in those ever-lasting last 10 minutes. 

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »

I don't know if i was watching a different games to some of you.

AYoung for me was the difference between the teams.Every time he got the ball he looked dangerous, lovely ball for LYoung for the goal, created chances foe Albrighton twice, and run at the defence every time.

Dunne/Collins....superb, proper defenders, as was Warnock, and not bad from Lyoung.

NRC...did what he is good at, all energy, lacks a bit of quality sometimes, what was he doing when Jagielka fell over?, but just what we needed yday.

Petrov....ok, but not quite right.

Downing....not good enough.

Albrighton.....lacks a bit of knowhow sometimes, but a really exciting player.Will struggle against some of the best fullbacks, but a real prospect.

Carew.....time has gone.

Overall, we should have had a penalty, and scored at least one more goal anyway, but if we could just pick that final ball, we have quite a good team, a really exciting team.A team of a front 4 of AYoung, Ireland , Albrighton and Gabby/Delf suggests a reaaly exciting era.

Kevin Mac...not for me, would have not played NRC yday if Ireland eas fit.NRC should be playing every game at the moment, and if he can't see that, then i'm afaraid hes not the man for the job

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »

He takes risks I'll admit, he'd often be safer playing backwards like some Mon stalwarts do more often than not
You did see the incident that Chris is referring to? Jagielka lying on his back in the middle of the penalty area with Young unmarked in the middle and Reo-Coker STILL manages to put the pass straight at the prone defender when it would have been easier to avoid him.

Happens far too often. If we could combine Reo-Coker's athleticism with everything else that Petrov gives us then we would have a brilliant player. As it is, we're clearly better off with a tiring Petrov than Reo-Coker there.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »

He takes risks I'll admit, he'd often be safer playing backwards like some Mon stalwarts do more often than not
You did see the incident that Chris is referring to? Jagielka lying on his back in the middle of the penalty area with Young unmarked in the middle and Reo-Coker STILL manages to put the pass straight at the prone defender when it would have been easier to avoid him.

Happens far too often. If we could combine Reo-Coker's athleticism with everything else that Petrov gives us then we would have a brilliant player. As it is, we're clearly better off with a tiring Petrov than Reo-Coker there.

I think that combination hopefully could be Delph.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal