collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread  (Read 53663 times)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2010, 09:41:11 AM »
We've a problem regarding Ireland that's for sure. Ashley looks brilliant in the free role.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »
The other thing was a tad disappointing in the relief. At the end it was like watching a Bolton, or Wolves having held out to a 1-0 win over a top 8 team. The whooping, hoopnig an' a-hollering. fair enough after the week they - we - have had, but all the same.

Nothing wrong with celebrating a hard-fought victory in particularly trying circumstances but I think you needed to be there to realise just how tense it was.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
A good win. A real boost at the end of a bad week. It's always good going into an international break off a good result, means I can better tolerate all the tripe about England in the papers from today. Having said which hopefully we'll be making a few headlines with our new boss.

Offline carlos the third

« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
What an exciting, nerve-wracking game. I kept looking up at the clock to see whether they would have time to score a winner, let alone an equaliser and it only dawned on me with about 3 minutes left that we might win the thing. Friedel, Collins, both youngs and Warnock were good, however I feel that we were helped by a questionable team selection from Moyes, with Arteta as a deep-lying midfielder and Rodwell on the right for some reason.

However, we are currently 1 point ahead of the corresponding fixtures from last season(If you count Newxastle as Hull), and with the mess that MON left us in I think that is very good indeed.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
great result but we need to improve dramatically if that is the best we can offer at home, especially on the back of the previous 2 games.
I don't think Everton are that special, I know Newcastle aren't and I can't see what can be done to improve matters. Had we conceded I could see it being another slaughter, thankfully a combination of last ditch saves and some luck pulls us through. Obviously playing the same side for a few games will help, a stable club again will too, but we looked more like a side fighting to come to terms with the PL than a side who achieved 6th several times.
The new manager could be on to a hiding to nothing to start with and will need a cool head.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
Whlist delighted with the win it's alarming how much we have slipped. A hard fought  win against Everton at home  no thanks we should be  better than that. It was bit like a team  hovering above the relegation  zone manages to clinch a  1-0  with desperate defending heroics, multiple blocks  etc  and wasteful opposition not being able to convert  huge possession, 15 corners and  6 or so freekick very close to the goal, into a goal.

Everton ar a good team but they are NOT Chelsea, Manu or even Manshitty.  They had a strong midfield with Treetop, Pienaar, Cahill, Arteta and Rodwell and we did not match up.
This is where we need to improve or we will end up having a hard season because 9 times out of 10 a performance like yesterday will end in defeat.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
Quite a few twitchy bum moments, our midfield has lost their way and the ref was utter gash. Based on all 3 league games to date, my next team would be:

Friedal
Young - Cuellar - Dunne - Warnock
NRC - Collins
Allbrighton - Ireland - Young
Agbonlahor

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:13 AM »
it was an improvement, and we defended great, but lots more work to do...

there is a good attacking side in there somewhere, lets just hppe that the new manager when he comes in, can bring it to the fore consistantly...

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
In terms of individual performances I thought L.Young was MOM.  Brilliant running and superb finish for a right back on his "wrong foot" - there are plenty of players in the team who are more attacking-minded who would've fluffed that chance on 9 out of 10 occasions.  As someone else has said, it's just so disappointing to think what we've missed with Young through MON's stubbornness.
I like Carlos as a person and think he's a very good central defender, but by no stretch of the imagination is he a right back. Against Rapid, when for some unfathomable reason we played without wingers, Carlos was the only wide player on the right and almost every ball out to him was wasted. Luke's no John Gidman, but he's a decent defender, has good positional sense and has the ability and speed to be a threat going forward. I hope he'll now be given a good run in the team.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
What disappointed me (again) yesterday was that we had only one man on the line defending corners. I always like to see a man on each post as eventually, (like against Rapid) you will rue the lack of a man on a post when you are picking the ball out of that corner of the net.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:47 AM »
What disappointed me (again) yesterday was that we had only one man on the line defending corners. I always like to see a man on each post as eventually, (like against Rapid) you will rue the lack of a man on a post when you are picking the ball out of that corner of the net.

Curiously, we had a man on each post for most corners, then they ran away from them before the ball was kicked.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:35 AM »
Shit gate m'lord ......... !

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »
Nothing wrong with celebrating a hard-fought victory in particularly trying circumstances but I think you needed to be there to realise just how tense it was.

I spent the afternoon putting up shome shelves and pretending I wasn't bothered. It was a terribly unconvincing performance. I put my family through some very unnecessary grief.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
In terms of individual performances I thought L.Young was MOM.  Brilliant running and superb finish for a right back on his "wrong foot" - there are plenty of players in the team who are more attacking-minded who would've fluffed that chance on 9 out of 10 occasions.  As someone else has said, it's just so disappointing to think what we've missed with Young through MON's stubbornness.
I like Carlos as a person and think he's a very good central defender, but by no stretch of the imagination is he a right back. Against Rapid, when for some unfathomable reason we played without wingers, Carlos was the only wide player on the right and almost every ball out to him was wasted. Luke's no John Gidman, but he's a decent defender, has good positional sense and has the ability and speed to be a threat going forward. I hope he'll now be given a good run in the team.

Young looked comfortable on the ball but I thought Piennar and Baines got round him too often yesterday, that might be because he needed better support but it stopped him being a mom contender for me.

I thought one incident in the second half summed up NRC perfectly. He won the ball really well in our half, fed Young then bust a gut to get on the end of his return pass only to fluff the cross.

Offline garyh

« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »
On a lighter note.
Best song of the day as sung by North Stand Corner Crew to the bin dippers.

(to the you are my Villa tune).

You are a scouser, a dirty scouser ,
Your only happy on giro day!
Your moms out thieving!
Your dads Crack dealing!
So please dont take my hub caps away!
na na na na na!

Quality !
UP THE VILLA ! 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal