collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post-match thread - Newcastle v Aston Villa  (Read 91753 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: Having slept on it.....
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
Well yesterdays 'effort' has just cemented that we need to go in for Eriksson asap.

He's available, he wants the job, he's highly experienced and would be able to to get us organised as a squad, attract decent players and would galvanise the entire club.  Get it done, no if's and no but's.  He's what we need now.

We need someone that has the experience to hit the ground running as many more performances even remotely similar to yesterday and we'll be facing a battle to avoid relegation let alone a battle for a European place. 

After yesterdays performance, we are now so far off being a challenger for a Top 4 spot it isn't funny.
I'm struggling to think of two so massively contrasting performances within the period of one week, let alone them being the first two league games of the season. 

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »
After yesterday's totally inept performance i just hope  this is not a sign of thing's to come and it was just a one off.

Darren, hope so.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #362 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
6. Before the transfer window closes to have any hope of top six we need a striker and a winger.

And, sooner rather than later, a goalkeeper

This.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »
Just woken up and i still cant believe it happened. The one crumb of consolation  is that unlike the 7-1 last season i dont have to work with half a dozen of the geordie bastards.

By some bizarre twist of fate, I work with two of the bastards, and you can imagine what my desk looks like this morning.  Fuckers.

Photo's please.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #364 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
I wish I could look on 'the big picture' and just see it as a point dropped Troy.
But for me, it is even worse having slept on it.
We managed to play football for about 30 mins yesterday, and although the general concencus is that we were on top in that period, we didn't actually have shot on target and I don't recall even getting a corner.
After that initial 30 mins, it was the most total capitulation we have ever witnessed.
This was a batterering from a poor team, not Arsenal,Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool or even Man City.
It was from a team who probably will not finish top half this season and frankly, were not particularly impressive in any way yesterday.

My fear is that we are a rudderless ship while we wait for RL to make his decision on the new manager.
For all the talk we have heard about the team being 'released' and 'unshackled' after MON walked out, maybe there is also a loss of discipline ?
I think there may be an element of 'when the cats away........' at the club.
KM may be a great coach, but it does not make you a manager.
Everyone knows that the coach at a club is the 'mate' of the players whereas the manager is a bit aloof and distant (although we know that MON took this to the extreme).
I'm sure the players respect KM, but not in the way they would respect a top manager.
The majority of players nowadays a pampered prima donnas (ours are no exception) and they need to be kept inline.
For this reason I think its imperrative we get the right man in ASAP to prevent a malaise setting in.

All good points and I found myself nodding at just about everything.

Your point about K-Mac being more a 'mate' than a manager is probably spot on, too.
Here's a bloke that has probably spent an awful lot of time in the last 12 months trying to smooth things over with MON's 'fringe players' and actual management could well be foreign to him.....I dunno what goes on with the reserves so it's all guesswork. But, I suspect you are bang on with 'the cats away' bit. It even gels with the West Ham win as it may well have been the lads going out and having a bit of fun. Fun that went rather well.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #365 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
We should be on the phone to MShitty today and trying to get Shay Given...

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »
just goes to show resting players for 'big' games is a complete waste of time. [moscow, newcastle]

if a player cant play 2 games in a week, then he needs to go and find a different job,
 although the problem lies with coaches/managers in the prem legue telling players how tired they will feel if they play a couple of games,
its all a load of bollox

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #367 on: August 23, 2010, 11:41:52 AM »
We should be on the phone to MShitty today and trying to get Shay Given...

Thought that last week and well before the Newcastle debacle....

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #368 on: August 23, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
I still think it was wrong to start with Ireland. Not match fit, yes too light in midfield, the players around the midfield are not use to him yet either. I think it showed up just how much work
Milner did on the pitch when he was with us. I'm not saying we wouldn't of lost yesterday necessarily if we still had Milner but surely the players around Milner would be used to how he plays and how he mops things up in midfield. Two days training and being thrown into the mix from kick off wasn't the best way for Ireland to make his debut. And it showed Milner and Ireland aren't like for like players. We need someone more solid behind him to break up play and allow Ireland to do what he does best.
Like others have said it's not doom and gloom. KMac will learn from this. He'll see that things need to change from the players. As a team like us should not be losing to scorelines like that. Not even from the big 4 clubs. We're better than that.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #369 on: August 23, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »
Yesterday was a blessing in disguise: at least we are now reasonably assured that the (perhaps understandable) wave of sympathy and support for the Board and KM will subside to reveal the situation as it really is, i.e., that the leadership has somehow managed to lose its key employee at a critical time.

If that had happened in my job under my watch, then my boss would be asking me why the hell I didn't have the risk covered. There is no hiding place for the Board I'm afraid, notwithstanding MoN's very poor judgement in terms of timing his departure.

So, we will not have KM as manager. Thank Christ (for us but also for him). We are Aston Villa; Ricky Sbragia type solutions are not for us.

We are beginning to look very naive in terms of our approach at executive level: slightly parochial, unconnected, rudderless, indecisive, out of control of events. We need a quality and experienced manager and very, very quickly and that manager needs to have a week or so to deal in the transfer market. That is so painfully obvious. If it has to be Sven for one year with a medium term plan behind that, then so be it. At least he would likely get the basics of the team setup and approach right. He'd also have an idea about one or two players he would like in, I imagine.

Bob Bradley, why not? Just not this year, it's not the right time.

Come on guys, get your acts together.

Sir I disagree with you. No 6-0 defeat is a blessing in any shape or form. My personal view is those players dont give a stuff about our club.

Im not talking in hindisight but I believed that KM was only filling in until a permanant replacement came in. He has no previous Premiership credentials at management.

At any point in time, in any workplace an employee can walk out after a disagreement and the organisation has to deal with it. This is not lack of leadership or miscontrol of events just unexpected, you deal with it. I believe our board is looking for a replacement right now and unfortunately time is against us with the transfer window slammed shut. We have a decent squad to finish in the top 10 (because of the Milner departure) and the fringe players given more opportunity and faith than under MON.

Yesterday KM made some glaring mistakes that could have been actioned (even without success) yet his naivety shone through as did the players appalling disregard for the shirt. The only way to recitfy this is to win against Vienna to show it was a freak result like last season when we beat Bolton away the very next game.

Here we will start another cycle shortly when the new manager will shape the squad in his own image / style and the era of Petrov, Carew, Heskey, Friedal, Lyoung, playing CBs at RB and not 'rotating' has come to an end.

Offline Simon Ward

Re: Post-match thread - Newcastle v Aston Villa
« Reply #370 on: August 23, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
Not worth commenting on, the match I mean. >:(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:24:43 PM by Simon Ward »

Offline jembob

« Reply #371 on: August 23, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
Yesterday was just a bit bizarre and I've found out why and it probably deserves it's own thread.

The Daily Mash

It's OK to laugh again now after a period of mourning.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:13:57 PM by jembob »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #372 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
Newcastle were undefeated in 25 games at St James' Park.
They had the support of a big crowd (that averaged the 4th highest in England last season).
They had virtually the same team in place that they've had for a few years, all of whom knew and have played with each other a lot.
They had the momentum that comes from the hype of being newly promoted whereas we had the realisation that our manager had left only the week before.
We didn't change things soon enough.
We were shit.

Still, it could be worse.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #373 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Just woken up and i still cant believe it happened. The one crumb of consolation  is that unlike the 7-1 last season i dont have to work with half a dozen of the geordie bastards.

By some bizarre twist of fate, I work with two of the bastards, and you can imagine what my desk looks like this morning.  Fuckers.

You should adopt my attitude. When I get ribbed, I just say "God isn't embarrassing for the players? I wouldn't like to be in their shoes."

No point in being embarrassed for something you had no control over. Keep the anger and upset private!

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #374 on: August 23, 2010, 02:00:35 PM »
I've slept on it and im still fucking furious. What a load of crap no positives and no shots on target, get a manager in and quickly!!

Hopefully we can get someone in before 31st but I doubt it, I doubt it will be Given anyway

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal