collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by N'ZMAV
[Today at 07:57:28 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andreas Weimann  (Read 269023 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Andreas Weimann
« Reply #1275 on: December 29, 2014, 11:25:33 PM »
When it was him and Delfouneso up front in the reserves I think many people said that an ideal striker would be his application, work rate and attitude with Delfouneso's natural ability.

Tom's comment about him being the player that sums us up at the moment is probably very accurate. The quintessential Lambert Villa player. Tries hard, is nearly good enough but you get the feeling that anything that goes right is probably more by luck than design.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1276 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:04 PM »
Weimann is our modern day Ian Olney, there's a wealth of goodwill towards him despite consistently crap performances but there comes a time when enough's enough. To say he's out of his depth is an understatement, he should be taken out of the firing line.His powder puff finishing, gormless positional play and woeful passing can go on no longer. I've seen some risible strikers at Villa over the years (Penrice, Aspinall, M Allen) but this fella takes the biscuit. Gotta go.

Sadly I agree.

Doesn't have a turn of pace, not great at holding the ball up and not a particularly good finisher. 

I accept he might be playing out of position, but when he does see the whites of the goalkeepers eyes he invariably makes a dogs dinner out of any chance that comes his way. 

Good work ethic, plenty of endevour.   But we need to start being brave.  Neither Weimann or Gabby should be regular starters.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1277 on: December 30, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »
When it was him and Delfouneso up front in the reserves I think many people said that an ideal striker would be his application, work rate and attitude with Delfouneso's natural ability.

Tom's comment about him being the player that sums us up at the moment is probably very accurate. The quintessential Lambert Villa player. Tries hard, is nearly good enough but you get the feeling that anything that goes right is probably more by luck than design.

Hard to disagree with this.

I wonder if we might get more out of Weimann long term by not playing him quite so much.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1278 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
I think Weimann has talent. He just doesn't have the application to capitalize on what he has and improve. Some of his goals have been very good indeed so we know he can do it. But he is one of those players that Lambert seems to fall back on all too often and doesn't give the required kick up the arse to. Insert any number of other Villa players here.

Lambert has installed self made excuses into the Villa DNA and that rather than really fire up his team and keep them motivated, instead we are an excuse waiting to happen. Instead of saying like it is which would be a welcome change for everyone to hear it is the same old bollocks rolled out after every game win, lose or draw. We've become soft and maybe Keane touched on it before leaving. Everyone is really comfortable down there, and the complacency is deep in the system now.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1279 on: December 30, 2014, 01:22:58 AM »
He is a player of limited technical ability being asked to play in a position that he is not suited to.

It is that simple.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1280 on: December 30, 2014, 01:30:16 AM »
players of limited technical ability don't score some of the goals that he has. It's not that simple at all.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1281 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »
He's a striker. It's that simple.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #1282 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:42 AM »
I seem to remember him curling a great goal in from the edge of the box against Stoke (might be wrong). I think he can finish but he's not played in the position he's best in and this is surely detrimental to his confidence, which probably then knocks the other attributes of his game.

Online john2710

« Reply #1283 on: December 30, 2014, 01:55:40 AM »
To improve the team, after N'Zogbia, Weimann is the next name in the list that we need to get an upgrade on. Closely followed by Gabby.

Effort & work rate can't be faulted, but he's simply not Premier League quality & I've seen nothing to suggest he ever will be.

Offline Archie

« Reply #1284 on: December 30, 2014, 06:20:43 AM »
I am grateful to him becauese he scored a vital against Fulham some seasons ago, and was a promising forward when he made his first appearances in the first team. Then I do not know what happened.  He failed to improve and now it is quite clear that he works hard but  his technical ability and his passing are not adequate for a Premier League player, above all a striker.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1285 on: December 30, 2014, 07:24:47 AM »
I think Weimann has talent. He just doesn't have the application to capitalize on what he has and improve. Some of his goals have been very good indeed so we know he can do it. But he is one of those players that Lambert seems to fall back on all too often and doesn't give the required kick up the arse to. Insert any number of other Villa players here.

Lambert has installed self made excuses into the Villa DNA and that rather than really fire up his team and keep them motivated, instead we are an excuse waiting to happen. Instead of saying like it is which would be a welcome change for everyone to hear it is the same old bollocks rolled out after every game win, lose or draw. We've become soft and maybe Keane touched on it before leaving. Everyone is really comfortable down there, and the complacency is deep in the system now.

If the main point here is that Weimann has the talent but not the application / work ethic then I couldn't disagree more

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #1286 on: December 30, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
One if the worst forwards I've seen.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #1287 on: December 30, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
I think there is a half decent player in there, lack of decent coaching hasn't helped. Wonder if someone like Sheringham could teach him about positional play and finding space.

Offline WestleyArmsAV

« Reply #1288 on: December 30, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
It's his awful finishing that is crucial.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1289 on: December 30, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
To improve the team, after N'Zogbia, Weimann is the next name in the list that we need to get an upgrade on. Closely followed by Gabby.

Effort & work rate can't be faulted, but he's simply not Premier League quality & I've seen nothing to suggest he ever will be.

Agree with that.  If we are ever going to move forward then proper replacements for Weimann and N'Zogbia are required, with Gabby being an impact sub at best. 

Playing Weimann out of position out wide because he is fairly mobile and works hard is exactly the kind of thing that uninspiring British managers like Pulis and Bruce do (think Jon Walters as a prime example).   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal