collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa 3-0 West Ham: Post Match Thread  (Read 71892 times)

Offline Tucson Villain

• GM : 21.01.2022
Re: Villa 3-0 West Ham: Post Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
Great display.
Open attacking football and great to see all the young uns getting a run out.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »
Excellent. Echo all of the above about Albrighton, but Clark was very comfortable at the back. Whenever he was caught out of position he recovered quickly.  Must be lovely having Dunne stood beside you though.  Good reception for Milly as well, that was nice to see, shame if he does go, let's hope Ireland sticks out for that £2mill.

All in all a good day to be a Villa fan.  Nice to be beating Gold and Sullivan again isn't it? Should have stuck with Zola shouldn't you?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 05:04:39 PM »
Some outstanding performances today.

Don't want to go overboard with Albrighton, as he was up against a debutant fullback today.
But fcuk me, he looks like he has the lot.

Slight downsides would be a struggling performance from Warnock again, who still doesn't look like the player he was for the first part of the last campaign.

And an almost Fashanu-esque performance from JC.

But the positives far outweigh the downsides today.

Milner looks like he is going to be hard to replace -but then we knew that already. The new look midfield with him in it, Ash in the hole and Albrighton out wide looks well balanced. The concern would be if Milner departs and Ireland comes in that (a) we'll need a new CM and (b) Ireland's best form for Citeh is just off the striker- where Ash played today.

But these are concerns for another time.

Newcastle next week will be a decent test. Beatable opponents on paper, but I'd wager they'll be more up for it than  West Ham today.

Hope RL doesn't rush into anything re Kevin Mac either. Give him at least a run of games to see if he can replicate that impact today. If he does -great. If not, at least we'll have bought more time to source a replacement.

Offline enigma

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
For fucks sake. I worked a night shift last night so told my girlfriend to wake me up at 2pm today. She fucking forgot didn't she  >:(

So pissed off.

Still sounds like a great performance, especially from the youngsters. Did Delfouneso play at all?

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »
From the Brazilian jury!!

I wanted to post this on the match thread - but did not dare to! This is the F...... first game i have watch Villa play in Brazil and they won!!! GET IT!

Martin who? The only Martin i know is Laursen!

Milner - thank you. Did yourself proud today - and thanks for that goal - but it only was because....

That the effin Albrighton had a say in all 3 goals....What a player - what a performance - and what fantastic applause he had going off...that has to be his finest hour ...i would have cried if Villa park did that to me.

Clark - you were great...not a foot wrong, and looked like the most composed centerback i have seen. How about that backheader to Friedel in first half....under pressure? who?

And Ash Young - never seen such a workrate from him before.

All i can say now is - no need to look for a manager. The players have today shown they want to play for Kevin...

And heres for more cachaca caipirinha e cerveza!!!!

Saude Villa - e muito obrigado.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
I'd say that display from Albrighton is one we'll look back on when he's an england regular and say how obvious it was he was going to make it.  Absolutely fantastic performance.

Very good from the whole team, I say albrighton, milner, downing and ash all have a strong case for Motm as well, excellent display from all of them which led to us looking dangerous every time we went forward.

I haven't seen the stats yet but I'd say about 25 shots, at least 10 on target and it must've been 16-17 corners as well, just a shame the performance didn't get the big scoreline it deserved, I don't think anyone could've had complaints if we'd got 6 or 7.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
Oh - and to order a new Villa shirt (sometime in december ;) ) with no 12 and Albrighton!!!!!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
Couldn't ask for much more than that really, passing, movement, ball retention, creativity all much improved and there was a freedom and confidence about our play that has been missing, it was as if the shackles had been taken off.  I always thought our players were better than they were being allowed to show.  We didn't let West Ham play for most of the game.  Well done Kevin Mac for a bold team selection and approach, even if some changes were forced by injury.    For the first time in ages I thoroughly enjoyed watching us play.

If there is a minor downside it's that we wasted a lot of chances, especially Carew, and should have had at least 6.  But today is not a day to dwell on that, let's enjoy the new dawn.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
Edvard liked it! :)

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
WHU were awful. We should've had several hat-loads today. Carew seemed to have a stinker.  And where would Ireland play when Ashley looks so comfortable playing off the striker?

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »
WHU were awful. We should've had several hat-loads today. Carew seemed to have a stinker.  And where would Ireland play when Ashley looks so comfortable playing off the striker?

In Milner's place?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »

In Milner's place?

Yes, as long as we keep possession like we did today. What we need is a better deep midfielder than NRC or, indeed, Sidwell. It's all about the squad.

The great thing about fluidity is that, at its best, all the attacking midfielders essentially play the free role.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »
Would be a pretty lightweight midfield with Petrov and Ireland holding the fort in the centre.

Offline Grubly Magoo

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 05:14:01 PM »
Listened on absolute radio - Phil Brown obsessed over Clarke so assuming he had good game and Albrighton sounded awesome at times, esp. for Milner goal.

Great to see the youngens get a game!

Offline enigma

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
Just saw this on the Beeb website.

Former Villa striker Juan Pablo Angel on Twitter:   "Outstanding performance by Aston Villa! Delighted for Kevin McDonald he has done an incredible job for the Villa youngsters over the years!"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal