collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Best Kit Ever  (Read 19592 times)

Offline Archie

Best Kit Ever
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:38:10 PM »
These are the kits that we have proudly worn since the beginning of our great history.

(source: http://www.kitclassics.co.uk/kits/astonv.gif)

This is  my top five:

(1) The 1980-81 shirt. Apart from its importance (we have won the title with that shirt) it was my football kit ever, and it's for this that I fell in love the Villa.
A sober, perfect, proper Villa shirt, with the exact shade of dark claret.

(2) The beautiful 1992-93 vintage lace-neck shirt (beautiful outfit, even if the shade of claret is a little bit "purplish", if the word purplish exists).

(3) The FA Cup 1957 shirt. A break with the great old tradition, but very classy and smart. The ancient Romans said: semel in anno licet insanire (once in the year you can do a madness).....

(4) The simple, classic, 2007-08 kit, a return to the great old tradition after the long, awful Diadora & Hummel era. The sponsor logo was awful, though.

[/img]

(5) The 1985-87 away shirt. One of the best away, imo, with the claret and blue band on a yellow panel.

Offline E16 Villain

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:10:21 AM »
Number 1: 95/96 home

Number 2: 98/99 away

Number 3: 93/94 away, i know i will get slated for that, but i like it.

Number 4: 95/96 away

Number 5: 97/98 away

i think you can guess roughly how old i am, and how long ive been supporting the club withthis selection.

Offline avfc_1874

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 12:18:57 AM »
I've always liked the home strip we worn for the 83/84 season as I think our home kit looks better with claret & blue shorts.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Best Kit Ever
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 07:30:09 AM »
1982 away shirt and 1957 home shirt.
As a kid I loved our claret, blue and yellow hoody by Henson in 1985, bloody smart at the time.

Online nuninho

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:40:51 AM »
The "Brazil" top with the post mark badge on the side has to be my favourite away kit.  I remember being quite small and seeing Villa play in it (Was it Liverpool?)  I don't remember any announcements that this kit existed before that day.

Best home kit?  Classic 80-81.  Simple and no sponsors

Oh and the 1982 European cup shirt.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Best Kit Ever
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:36 AM »
74-75 promotion season shirt for me. I think one's choice is inextricably linked with memories of a particular period and that was the team I used to pretend to be in the park somewhere in Harrogate, North Yorks,  playing imaginary games all on my own....Graydon, Little, Carrodus, Ross, Phillips et al. I also like the 94-95 all white away strip - all white with C and B trimmings has always been my preferred away kit

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Best Kit Ever
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:59 AM »
Sorry but no discussion about kits is complete without this ...

or this ........

Offline deanl123

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:03:32 AM »
Quote from: "nuninho"
The "Brazil" top with the post mark badge on the side has to be my favourite away kit.  I remember being quite small and seeing Villa play in it (Was it Liverpool?)  I don't remember any announcements that this kit existed before that day.

I never liked this kit personally as it was not claret and blue, but I'll always remember it with a smile. My son and me had season tickets in the lower Holte, and had a large couple sitting in front of us who always used to wear this shirt. We used to be able to watch MOTD and my son would always shout "Dad, we must have been on television, because I've just seen the bananas in front of us", as he saw a quick flash of yellow on the screen. They always stood out like belicia beacons.

Offline peter w

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »
I loved all home Villa kits EXCEPT that pink stripey hummell atrocity in 87-88. Wasn't found of the all claret kit in the late 90's.

Crap away kits - playing in green/red/black? What the fuck?

A third black away kit. What the fuck?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Best Kit Ever
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 09:53:05 AM »
80/81 home and away kit for me. I loved the white away top with the Umbro diamonds down the sleeves.

I think that the home top always looks better with light blue shorts. More classy.

We've had some top shirts but some lousy ones. The Henson kit with no badge is way out in front in the poor kit stakes!

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:18:55 AM »

It was announced because we all went to Anfield with blue and yellow balloons

Online Pete3206

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 11:14:14 AM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"

It was announced because we all went to Anfield with blue and yellow balloons

Quite right. The mail had a back page headline a few days before that read "Just like Brazil!" with Shaun Teale wearing the kit. A shame then, that Villa played nothing like Brazil come the Liverpool game and lost to possisbly the worst Reds side in generations, blowing a great chance to reach the semis.

Liverpool went on to win the cup of course, beating a shit Sunderland team.

Offline The Man With A Stick

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
Didn't they beat Pompey in the semi?  We'd have won that bloody cup if we'd beaten Liverpool, i'm sure of it.

Offline Dave P

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 12:07:11 PM »
Quote from: "The Man With A Stick"
Didn't they beat Pompey in the semi?  We'd have won that bloody cup if we'd beaten Liverpool, i'm sure of it.
They did.  A big chance wasted.

Offline Dave P

Best Kit Ever
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 12:11:26 PM »
Interestingly whenever we have had vertical stripes we have won something or at least got to the final.

Looking at those kits, 1957 - FA Cup, 1982 (away kit) European Cup, 1987/88 Promotion and 2000 FA Cup Runner Up.

This is the first season since then we've had a stirpy kit *Praying emoticon*

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal