collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:01:28 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:31:18 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:25:35 AM]

The End of the Line - David O'Leary by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:22:32 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by RamboandBruno
[June 09, 2024, 11:38:58 PM]

Golf 2024 by Villa Lew
[June 09, 2024, 11:25:28 PM]

Athletics 2023/2024 by cdbearsfan
[June 09, 2024, 11:15:56 PM]

Season Review 23/24 by Goldenballs
[June 09, 2024, 10:56:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer priorities  (Read 7802 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Transfer priorities
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2024, 10:34:47 PM »
Is it too late to grab Mbappe and make a cheeky offer for Bellingham?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2024, 10:37:10 PM »

Mbappe was really talking Unai up the other day as the best coach he’s played for. The fella knows class when he sees it!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2024, 12:48:29 AM »
So assuming everybody like Mings, Rmasey and Buendia etc all come back at the level they're capable of, what do you think are the main requirements for this summer. In my opinion, it's something like:

1) Right back. I really like Cash, and think he gets a bit too much stick at times. But Emery doesn't appear completely sold on him, and the young lad we bought isn't going to be ready, so a good attacking right back is high on the list.

2) Left back. It seems like Digne might be moved on to free up his wages. Lucas has mostly been very good this season, and he would leave with my thanks. Moreno was very good last season, but injuries have meant he hasn't really done much this year, and he's 31 next month, so a top flight replacement please.

3) Defensive midfielder. Obviously Kamara is due back but it might not be until the second half of the season, and this season has shown it's a really key position, so I'd like a big money reinforcement. Worst case scenario, we've then got two really good defensive midfielders for the second half of the season.

The rest of midfield and attack I think we're largely good, and also in defence, although we might need a better back up than Carlosor Lenglet. If we do bring in another forward it needs to be someone mobile who can play anywhere across the front line.

Agreed on your assessment at RB, LB, CM. We need a much better option at RCB than Carlos too. Both Konsa and Torres need stronger competition. Backup keeper is a tricky one but Newcastle missed Pope badly after his injury so we would be taking a similar risk. Palhinha at Fulham would be the ideal big signing of the summer at CM.  Really could do with the injured trio of Mings, Ramsey and Buendia being fully fit.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2024, 02:49:16 AM »
Grealish looks done at Man City.

Sneaky bid for £50m?

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2024, 03:06:07 AM »
Grealish looks done at Man City.

Sneaky bid for £50m?

I'd say he'd be a better fit for that lot in League 1.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2024, 05:52:06 AM »
Considering FFP, I think this summer is going to be all about getting a squad together that can compete on 2 fronts and play in the style Unai wants. Mings and Buendia I see very much as bonus players until Christmas time considering their injuries.

Carlos is nowhere near good enough for me, he's a liability half the time. A faster, taller, better right sided centre half, and a free left sided centre half to cover Mings until he's fully fit are a given I think.

Holding mid is blindingly obvious to cover Kamara and then compete with. Monchi has to pull a rabbit here, ideally a Rogers type one in she and profile.

Right back with a final ball and positional sense.

A left sided playmaker. A player that we can give the ball to and he'll keep it, pick the right pass, dictate the game a bit. Odegaard, McAllister, Debruyne type. The kid at Villareal seems to be the type you want in that role.

Cheap, experienced striker. Duran is brilliantly talented, but if there is a freebie out there that can give us a player to rotate Ollie a bit, we should be looking.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2024, 05:55:39 AM »

Mbappe was really talking Unai up the other day as the best coach he’s played for. The fella knows class when he sees it!
Mbappe and his mom would be a nightmare. All about him and his ego.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2024, 06:40:09 AM »
If we're looking to strengthen at centre back at all then Raphael Varane is available free this summer. 31 and injury prone so not going to play every week, but as an experienced option? Would come along for the CL football I would think

That’s a bad take, an old, out of form, injury prone expensive player who is no upgrade. It crosses every box.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2024, 06:44:34 AM »
Considering FFP, I think this summer is going to be all about getting a squad together that can compete on 2 fronts and play in the style Unai wants. Mings and Buendia I see very much as bonus players until Christmas time considering their injuries.

Carlos is nowhere near good enough for me, he's a liability half the time. A faster, taller, better right sided centre half, and a free left sided centre half to cover Mings until he's fully fit are a given I think.

Holding mid is blindingly obvious to cover Kamara and then compete with. Monchi has to pull a rabbit here, ideally a Rogers type one in she and profile.

Right back with a final ball and positional sense.

A left sided playmaker. A player that we can give the ball to and he'll keep it, pick the right pass, dictate the game a bit. Odegaard, McAllister, Debruyne type. The kid at Villareal seems to be the type you want in that role.

Cheap, experienced striker. Duran is brilliantly talented, but if there is a freebie out there that can give us a player to rotate Ollie a bit, we should be looking.

So you are after a De Bruyne type and Olly Watkins rotation player, both for free? Care to throw in some names?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2024, 06:53:11 AM »
Somehow I can't see Monchi going for older seasoned players, with what we have to offer I hope he goes for younger ambitious players that want to play for the best manager in the premiership. 

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2024, 07:44:07 AM »
Surely the main issue with FFP is getting the wage bill down. Therefore getting rid of countinho hause chambers (sanson is one gone) digne carlos ans maybe cash - will massively allow a transfer splurge

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2024, 07:44:55 AM »
Somehow I can't see Monchi going for older seasoned players, with what we have to offer I hope he goes for younger ambitious players that want to play for the best manager in the premiership.

Exactly this, he needs to be pulling the next Van de Ven off the rank for us

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2024, 08:17:18 AM »

Exactly this, he needs to be pulling the next Van de Ven off the rank for us

I agree gareth. We are strongly linked with baena from villareal and thats the profile of player we should be looking at.

We shouldn't be spending big on 29 years old for example like gerrad was

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2024, 08:26:44 AM »
I'm not going to repeat what has already been said - RB, CB, DCM are priority. LB will also be a priority if we decide to offload one of our current players. There are strong rumours around Hermoso: if this is the CB improvement, happy days.
A lot will depend on any outgoings and PSR considerations that we're not fully 'sighted' on.
I like the idea that Gendouzi might still be available: he's athletic and a box-to-box player and will probably not be massively expensive whilst also knowing the league. I would not be in favour of Ndidi particularly: I don't recall many games where he's been stand-out. Kosta N will be our RB cover; not sure we'll go for another resource there.
I don't think anyone above has addressed the issue of Cam Archer. If he is to return, I'd be in favour of  keeping him as cover for Watkins and Diaby: I think he can play across the line, adds something a little different and knows the league; he also adds to our homegrown / PSR story. We would not need more incomers upfront.
I also wonder about the purchase of Souza at LB: since he hasn't played much at Plymouth he is probably not a player for next season, but let's see what happens over the summer and pre-season.

Outgoings are as important a consideration as incoming: I do think Lenglet, Carlos, Hause, Dendoncker are gone. Tim may also depart, along with players like Chrisene and Revan. I have a feeling they will keep Olsen for another season, giving Cauci and Sinisalo the time to further mature in this environment. Those who might be sold if the right offer comes in are Cash, Ramsey and Luiz, but I'd be disappointed to see any of them go (I get that anyone is available for sale if crazy offers come in).

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2024, 08:41:40 AM »
I'm just looking forward to seeing who we buy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal