collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

HEITS 2023-2024 by Risso
[Today at 12:47:55 PM]

VAR by Monty
[Today at 12:44:41 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:36:53 PM]

Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Pre match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 12:27:25 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Villan82
[Today at 12:25:36 PM]

Champions League 2024-2025 by OCD
[Today at 12:24:58 PM]

Birmingham Senior Cup final by Scratchins
[Today at 12:22:31 PM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by Villan82
[Today at 12:16:58 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: HEITS 2023-2024 by Risso
[Today at 12:47:55 PM]

Re: VAR by Monty
[Today at 12:44:41 PM]

Re: VAR by UK Redsox
[Today at 12:43:55 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:36:53 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 12:31:38 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by OCD
[Today at 12:30:13 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 12:29:18 PM]

Re: Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Pre match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 12:27:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - Post-Match Thread  (Read 14687 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2024, 12:49:45 AM »
Silly errors and decision making. Like Lenglet, who they targeted, not dealing with that aimless hoof to give away a corner that lead to their penalty. Just daft.

We created lots though, second half in particular, although I have no idea why our goal was disallowed- didn't seem to be anything in it?

They were incredibly clinical, one shot off an errant McGinn pass aside, they scored with everything else, including the dopey 4th deflected goal.

It is never easy to be 2 down at half time, and get fucked talking up their noise- who gives a good fuck-, but we've got 90 minutes and I don't rate them, defensively in particular. Emi, Pau, Yuri to come back in. Not much to do but beat them by 3 is there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 12:51:49 AM by Ads »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2024, 12:49:48 AM »
Brilliant save to deny Rogers, and then a stupid shirt pull by Langlet stopped us from going in front. That could have changed the whole nature of the game.

The stonewall pen on Bailey was irrelevant as it was 1-2 straight away anyway. If we’d have got the pen, the game changes and we don’t get the Watkins goal. I’m watching the highlights show and it’s just silly of the pundits to moan about this as if it affected the game.

Langlet letting the ball run out when he knew it was rightfully a corner was the most stupid and costly mistake of the game I think. Threw away a brilliant comeback.

Olsen should have saved the fourth, and our players shouldn’t have helped them delay Dougie on our pen.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 01:01:25 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #242 on: May 03, 2024, 12:55:00 AM »
Well that was a huge pile of donkey 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'. The ridiculous thing is we didn’t play that badly all told but we were exceptionally sloppy with the ball at times both offensively and defensively. We seemed to get utterly terrified of their press and certain players seemed to have no confidence in playing the ball around. Scores on the doors

Olsen - 6 did ok but his lack of a longer pass to Cash or Digne didn’t help in us beating the press, I didn’t think he could have done better with any of the goals.
Cash - 7 played well tonight both up and down the pitch.
Konsa -3 I thought he was terrible tonight, unsure in posesssion bullied by their front men and seemed to shit his pants every time he got pressed.
Lenglet - 6 I thought he did ok tonight was progressive with the ball.
Digne - 6 played ok gotmforward but delivery wasn’t great
McGinn - 5 not the best of nights with several
Wayward passes and losses of possession.
Luiz - 3 had a stinker, missed a penalty, got an on pitch bollocking from Unai. In poor form.
Rogers - 5 a real in and out game for Morgan, disappeared for bits then some lovely surging runs
Diaby - 7.5 gets my MOTM, sharp incisive and his goal was superb. Linked well with Bailey.
Bailey - 6 not one of Leon’s vintage games as he ran down a few too many blind alleys but was generally ok.
Watkins - 6.5 no service so was feeding on scraps but another great goal.

Unai - 6 thought he needed to change the approach on their press as it caused us problems all night.

We’re still in this imv. I didn’t think much of them tbh, neat tidy and well organised but they just capitalised on our lack of precise play. I’ll be intrigued to see how they approach the second leg and if we play Martinez, Pau and Tielemans how they cope with a stronger Villa team.

I thought their celebrations at full time were well over the top as well.

Anyway with no away goals rule anymore, we have to believe we can go and get a result.

Onwards…../

Online tomd2103

« Reply #243 on: May 03, 2024, 12:55:37 AM »
Brilliant save to deny Rogers, and then a stupid shirt pull by Langlet stopped us from going in front. That could have changed the whole nature of the game.

We were on top.when we got it back to.2-2 and I thought we were going to run away with it at the point.  Only for that corrupt tw@t in yellow to hand the momentum straight back to them.

Online KRS

« Reply #244 on: May 03, 2024, 01:05:49 AM »
The disallowed goal for the shirt pull was ridiculous. Yes he did have a bit of his shirt but not enough to send their player falling to the floor in the wrong direction (he would have fell backwards not forwards if it was a significant shirt pull). Lenglet clearly and obviously pulled his shirt but we see that at corners and all over the pitch, and it wasn’t sufficient to have any impact on the goal being scored (although I think the ball did bounce up off the players head after he fell over so may be that was why it was disallowed).

Anyways, shit performance and bad result…next week we have to go at them at pace, apply pressure and pepper their goal with shots. Their keeper isn’t up to much and they aren’t a particularly good team. I don’t see any reason why we can’t turn this around if we put in a good performance and create chances.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 01:07:26 AM by KRS »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2024, 01:05:56 AM »
I thought their celebrations at full time were well over the top as well.

Understandable as most are probably Arsenal fans during the week. Norf Landan Massive. Won sweet FA. At least they stayed until the end.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2024, 01:06:36 AM »

We were on top.when we got it back to.2-2 and I thought we were going to run away with it at the point.  Only for that corrupt tw@t in yellow to hand the momentum straight back to them.

He was undeniably shit, but their pen at 2-2 was the correct decision IMO.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2024, 01:25:14 AM »

He was undeniably shit, but their pen at 2-2 was the correct decision IMO.

Haven't been able to find highlights yet to see it back, but he couldn't wait to give it.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2024, 01:31:01 AM »
Just back home. Shambles of a performance. Tired and emotional.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2024, 01:35:28 AM »
Car crash of a performance. Everything we could do wrong we did. No composure. Spewing goals at home again. The better team won. Worst performance of the season.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2024, 01:42:24 AM »
Car crash of a performance. Everything we could do wrong we did. No composure. Spewing goals at home again. The better team won. Worst performance of the season.

Just as well you're not one to overreact.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2024, 01:57:31 AM »

Just as well you're not one to overreact.

We were shit.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2024, 02:22:45 AM »
Welcome to the site Ange.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2024, 02:29:42 AM »
The result wasn't shocking to me. Olympiacos are a damn good side. They've also scored at least 1 goal in 26/27 of their home matches this season which means it's an almost certainty we'll have to score 3+ goals just to make it to ET.

Missing that penalty is highly likely going to cost us.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2024, 02:32:19 AM »
Didn't see the game but expected the result or at most a draw. We are knackered and injuries are telling but what a season we've had, beat Brighton and we are a top four side and Europes premier competition awaits.
For all of us it should be a time of pride in the club and the players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal