collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:36:53 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 12:31:38 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by OCD
[Today at 12:30:13 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 12:29:18 PM]

Re: Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Pre match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 12:27:25 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Villan82
[Today at 12:25:36 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by OCD
[Today at 12:24:58 PM]

Re: Birmingham Senior Cup final by Scratchins
[Today at 12:22:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - Post-Match Thread  (Read 14686 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2024, 12:08:00 AM »
Regarding the squad I do think it’s very decent.  But I would challenge anyone to do as well as  we have without our first choice change centre half, our first choice left back for much of the season, our first choice left sided midfielder for most of the season, our first choice change number ten for all of the season.   The list goes on.  All of them fit we have a decent squad.  You cant legislate for so many injuries at the same time.

Let’s take tonight.  Mings coming on at any stage would’ve bought a calmness to everyone despite that useless fcuker in goal.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 12:09:39 AM by kippaxvilla2 »

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2024, 12:10:51 AM »
And by the way I know you can’t foresee these things but Dougie would ordinarily have waited his turn from suspension had Tielemans not got injured. 

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2024, 12:13:47 AM »
Gutted

Biggest issue was in the middle of the park but considering both kamara and youri are out we had no options there at all and both doug and sjm looked fucked tonight for whatever reason. We were bullied there, they won all the second balls they punted up and so often both those two were the wrong side of the ball.
We had no luck at all, denied a clear penalty which was a critical point in the match and the 4th crushed us in all honesty.
The step down from pau to lenglet is dramatic, digne needs a rest and cash does affect things positively but defensively isn't the smartest.

The refs in this competition have been a joke, trying to stamp their mark on the game with big gestures and having little to no control on the game.

Olympiacos have an excellent coach it has to be said, and he did a number on us tonight.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2024, 12:14:24 AM »
Further by the way I saw a report that said we are definitely targeting CL ahead of the conference so on that basis you can see why pau and Diego were rested.  Both will play Sunday I reckon as we will do an Arsenal on Brighton or at least attempt to.

Online john2710

« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2024, 12:15:25 AM »
I don't think we played that badly but we looked nervous or hesitant from the start.  A 2-4 scoreline flatters them. Everything that could go their way did & where it didn't the ref ignored it.

The penalty miss is crucial, a 1 goal deficit & we have a good chance, but 2 goals seems too much given our inability to keep clean sheets.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2024, 12:28:53 AM »
Gutted

Biggest issue was in the middle of the park but considering both kamara and youri are out we had no options there at all and both doug and sjm looked fucked tonight for whatever reason. We were bullied there, they won all the second balls they punted up and so often both those two were the wrong side of the ball.
We had no luck at all, denied a clear penalty which was a critical point in the match and the 4th crushed us in all honesty.
The step down from pau to lenglet is dramatic, digne needs a rest and cash does affect things positively but defensively isn't the smartest.

The refs in this competition have been a joke, trying to stamp their mark on the game with big gestures and having little to no control on the game.

Olympiacos have an excellent coach it has to be said, and he did a number on us tonight.

Nailed it, Corey. Not sure and don't really care about the ref tonight, I've seen far worse this season watching the Villa. Everything else, spot on.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2024, 12:29:02 AM »
I don't think we played that badly but we looked nervous or hesitant from the start.  A 2-4 scoreline flatters them. Everything that could go their way did & where it didn't the ref ignored it.

The penalty miss is crucial, a 1 goal deficit & we have a good chance, but 2 goals seems too much given our inability to keep clean sheets.
Gifting shit goals seams to be our default recently.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2024, 12:31:57 AM »
Talking of goals, our two were both exceptional, shame they were wasted on tonight.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2024, 12:39:49 AM »
All i'll say is this season i've seen Newcastle, Man Utd and Spurs players all dancing away at the end of the game in front of their fans celebrating as if they'd won the World Cup
they all thought they would catch us, they all went to early, we are above all of them in the league

i saw the same tonight, dancing away celebrating they think they are through already,

its a tough ask but we can do it
not without Torres or Martinez though, without that pair weve got zero chance, with them i will still believe

Online TonyD

« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2024, 12:39:49 AM »
Score first in Athens and we are right back in this. 

Online john2710

« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2024, 12:40:01 AM »
I've watched Bailey's goal several times & I can't see anything that looks like a foul.

We haven't played that well in any of our European games & tended to do just enough with a bit of luck. We had no luck tonight & it cost us.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2024, 12:41:14 AM »
So it's all to play for still.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2024, 12:45:40 AM »
And on the plus side, all the "Champions League qualification is more important" crowd will be thrilled with how this evening has gone.

Not really necessary, no?

Why? The more important thing is more likely now than it was two hours ago. We're a bit closer to the thing that matters.

'Thrilled' was a touch on the snarky side, man. I, on balance, think CL qualification is probably more important, and this game had me actively laughing with despair. Bit much to say I was 'thrilled'.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2024, 12:46:19 AM »
I think so.  Do you want to bet against us?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2024, 12:48:29 AM »
I think so.  Do you want to bet against us?

Sums up tonight. Straight at the keeper. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal