collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:48:45 PM]

Jhon Durán - signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:48:45 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 01:46:06 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by London Villan
[Today at 01:45:13 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:36:29 PM]

New Villa video by tomd2103
[Today at 01:27:00 PM]

Champions League 2024-2025 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:20:58 PM]

Villa possibly hacked? by Drummond
[Today at 01:11:04 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Champions League Contention  (Read 208168 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Champions League Contention
« Reply #3090 on: May 01, 2024, 12:20:43 PM »
Bookmakers are guessing what people will bet on then responding to the bets they've encouraged. They're not psychic football octopuses!

Then you should definitely bet against them. You'll make a fortune!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3091 on: May 01, 2024, 12:23:19 PM »
Don't bet, but if I did, yeah, I'd put some money against us. Not because (for what must be the twelfth time by now) I don't think we're favourites, but I don't think we're as nailed on as some think. Football is the chaos dimension with a ball in it, it's so much closer than it looks, and the weekend performances - particularly thinking about tiredness - weren't as favourable to us as the results (which were marginally favourable).

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3092 on: May 01, 2024, 12:23:55 PM »
Well look, I mean, obviously we're favourites after their defeat at the weekend. What I'm saying is I don't think we ought to be favourites by as much as the bookies say. I thought Spurs actually played pretty well and are perfectly capable of getting two results from Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool, while we really looked abysmal and, most worryingly, tired. It's really not over yet.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: have ALL the bookmakers, every single one of them, and their dispassionate assessment of every team's chances, "got it wrong".  Or have you, as a Villa fan worried about the next three weeks, slighty over-estimated the chances of our nearest rivals and the only team who can take Champions League away from us?

As a counterpoint, the likelihood of England getting the extra Champions League place was seen by the bookmakers as about the same as our chances of getting fourth place in the league.

It just take a couple of things to not quite go as expected and things change.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #3093 on: May 01, 2024, 12:25:39 PM »
Does Bayern Munich's draw last night finally kill off 5th being a Champions League place?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3094 on: May 01, 2024, 12:35:49 PM »
Well look, I mean, obviously we're favourites after their defeat at the weekend. What I'm saying is I don't think we ought to be favourites by as much as the bookies say. I thought Spurs actually played pretty well and are perfectly capable of getting two results from Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool, while we really looked abysmal and, most worryingly, tired. It's really not over yet.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: have ALL the bookmakers, every single one of them, and their dispassionate assessment of every team's chances, "got it wrong".  Or have you, as a Villa fan worried about the next three weeks, slighty over-estimated the chances of our nearest rivals and the only team who can take Champions League away from us?

However, until the last round of matches, the bookmakers had very strong odds that it would be England getting the 5th Champions League spot. Then everybody except us shit the bed, and the likely outcome and odds span on their head.

With so few games left, and neither us or Spurs being exactly consistent, anything is still possible. I expect us to do it, and think we will. But a win for Spurs tonight and a loss for us at the weekend, and things and (bookmakers odds) would look very different. Anything other than a win for Spurs combined with a win for us, and we'll be even stronger favourites.

edit: beaten to exactly the same point by Dave.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #3095 on: May 01, 2024, 12:43:48 PM »
Football is the chaos dimension with a ball in it

Except Newton's little-known Fourth Law of Entropy states that "Chaos can never exist if Emery potential is present". As such, we will finish 4th and Spurs will disappear up their own arseholes.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3096 on: May 01, 2024, 12:45:21 PM »
Football is the chaos dimension with a ball in it

Except Newton's little-known Fourth Law of Entropy states that "Chaos can never exist if Emery potential is present". As such, we will finish 4th and Spurs will disappear up their own arseholes.

Newton was very demanding in imposing his idea.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #3097 on: May 01, 2024, 01:20:22 PM »
Having slept on the weekend’s results, I woke up on Monday morning convinced that we are going to do it. So if nobody could pee on my chips, so that I can remain in that state of serenity, that’d be great.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3098 on: May 01, 2024, 01:45:31 PM »
Does Bayern Munich's draw last night finally kill off 5th being a Champions League place?

No but one more win, or two draws, by German teams does. And that's assuming we win every match.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #3099 on: May 01, 2024, 01:49:30 PM »
Don't bet, but if I did, yeah, I'd put some money against us. Not because (for what must be the twelfth time by now) I don't think we're favourites, but I don't think we're as nailed on as some think. Football is the chaos dimension with a ball in it, it's so much closer than it looks, and the weekend performances - particularly thinking about tiredness - weren't as favourable to us as the results (which were marginally favourable).

I completely agree, Monty. We're very obviously favourites, but I wouldn't bet on either side. If we didn't look so shattered (mentally/physically) I'd agree with the bookies. I've got a feeling some of the chaos will come with Burnley doing us a favour.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3100 on: May 01, 2024, 01:50:49 PM »
I think all the pessimism (my own included) comes from the fact this is all very new to us.  We are sat here expecting our team to perform like a top 4 side on the pitch, while we're behaving like a mid-table fanbase off it.  Do you think if the roles were reversed, Spurs fans would be worrying about us and thinking the bookies have got it wrong?

I still think the bookies have got it about right, with us at about 87% chance of finishing in the top 4.  Of COURSE there is the 13% chance that Spurs somehow beat Chelsea, Liverpool AND Man City, or that we entirely shit the bed and they beat one of them AND both Sheff Utd and Burnley, but it feels like an awful lot has to go right for them, and an awful lot has to go wrong for us.

Until it's mathematically impossible for us to be caught, I'll still have those nagging doubts in my mind, but right now I'm feeling pretty positive - because I believe that regardless of what Spurs do, Unai can wring a couple more results out of this squad - if we need them.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3101 on: May 01, 2024, 01:56:38 PM »
We're 1/6 to finish in the top four. Spurs are 9/2.

If spurs beat chelsea you will see those odds slash drastically

4 points is very small when you consider they would get 6 from burnley amd sheff utd. We will need to win at least one more game to make sure we do it

Cant see us beating liverpool as we havent beaten them at villa paek since that 7-2 with no fans. Its been a while since we beat them with fans at villa park.

That leaves brighton and palace one win out of those two and i think we should be good for CL

Remind me - how many times have we played Liverpool at home since then, and how many of them were with a team this good?

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #3102 on: May 01, 2024, 01:57:42 PM »
The Brighton game is huge. Of the 3 games we have left it represents the best chance of 3 points. I really don't want to be going to Crystal Palace needing to better the Spurs result at an already beached Sheffield United.

Its all too much for my nerves as it is.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3103 on: May 01, 2024, 02:01:36 PM »
We hadn't beaten Man City at home for yonks, we haven't been 4th this late in a season for yonks. It's time to stop thinking up reasons why every game we play there's a good chance we'll lose.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3104 on: May 01, 2024, 02:02:58 PM »
It's entirely possible that Spurs won't beat the points total we've got now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal