collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Forest v Villa post-match  (Read 15330 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Forest v Villa post-match
« Reply #330 on: November 06, 2023, 05:46:06 PM »
Quote from: brontebilly
The last two subs were pointless, just more evidence that Konsa should never be at RB.

He had one go at taking the ball forward down the right, which is more than can be said for Cash!

WTF can't Matty attempt to pass it forward? Starving Diaby of service. Need to get rid ASAP.
Have you deliberately come on here to spout bollocks?

The point was made a little bluntly, but I do think it is a point nonetheless.  The one formation we use means that the full-backs are our attacking outlets and therefore find themselves I'm 1v1 situations with defenders quote often. 

I like Matty Cash, but he often doesn't look comfortable in those positions and often turns and plays the ball backwards.  I wouldn't goas far as saying that we "Need to get rid ASAP", but would say that we probably need another option who is somewhat similar to Moreno in ability going forward. 

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #331 on: November 06, 2023, 06:57:37 PM »
Looking back at it all on MOTD2 now it is striking as to how similar their two goals were. Both involved Cash getting skinned in the build up, their scorer having an acre of space to himself between the defensive and midfield lines whilst we ball watched, and for both Emi could possibly have done better.

Cooper had us sussed from the start and I have no doubt that the first two aspects of the above were a deliberate exploitation of perceived weaknesses
I'm hearing a lot of comments saying how Cooper "had us sussed" and how Cooper "out thought Emery" Now I don't want to take anything away from Forest, they were disciplined and physical and it did the job but to suggest Cooper gave Emery some kind of masterclass is blowing a lot of smoke up his ass. They packed the midfield and the penalty box and refused to be drawn out which was quite a compliment to how dangerous they saw us especially as they were the home side. A couple of goals which Emi would usually save made the scoreline quite flattering to them but it don't make Cooper a bloody genius.

I’d agree with this apart from Martinez and their first. He hit it very well and I was right behind it and there’s no way he was getting that.
They’d had a similar move not long before that and again midfield failed to go with the runner.
Our passing was ok and we still looked the better side by some way but as a coach you can’t be to blame for individual mistakes or by the delivery in the final third being so bad.
Fair enough you had the ideal view so I'm probably being harsh for the first goal. I've got used to Emi usually being brilliant and I expected too much there I suppose. I'm just a bit rattled by all the ott reactions to Coopers tactics. They were copybook Big Sam or Tony Pulis.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #332 on: November 06, 2023, 07:45:58 PM »
Every team has shit days - when the entire team fail to spark you have to just accept it. I do not think anyone was above a 6 yesterday.

From the first goal you just felt it was not going to be our day - we had the great chance to go 4th or (hindsight i know after the Luton game) or even 3rd

So most Villa fans knew how the Gods would play it out.

It is not the loss it is how we recover from it - and Emery has good form on this

Bring on AZ and Fulham for a VP battering

Im being g pedantic bit i thought Torres was excellent yesterday and well above a six.

Offline boutrosboutrosgnarly

« Reply #333 on: November 06, 2023, 07:47:27 PM »
It’s pretty obvious where we need to strengthen. Just a question of finance and sentimentality.

Need the same depth at right back as left back.

Zaniolo and Bailey are adequate subs, but no more.

When we have buendia and JJ available, this will become reality.

Watkins is good but he needs competition. If Kane was playing for us today, we would have won.

Martinez- difficult one. I’m sure we can do better, but we could do a lot worse. Not a priority.
This comment on Martinez if serious is amongst the biggest load of bollocks i've ever seen posted on the internet.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #334 on: November 06, 2023, 08:52:30 PM »
It’s pretty obvious where we need to strengthen. Just a question of finance and sentimentality.

Need the same depth at right back as left back.

Zaniolo and Bailey are adequate subs, but no more.

When we have buendia and JJ available, this will become reality.

Watkins is good but he needs competition. If Kane was playing for us today, we would have won.

Martinez- difficult one. I’m sure we can do better, but we could do a lot worse. Not a priority.
This comment on Martinez if serious is amongst the biggest load of bollocks i've ever seen posted on the internet.
*puts down pint and starts thinking of something really fucking stupid to say.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #335 on: November 06, 2023, 08:58:15 PM »
Looking back at it all on MOTD2 now it is striking as to how similar their two goals were. Both involved Cash getting skinned in the build up, their scorer having an acre of space to himself between the defensive and midfield lines whilst we ball watched, and for both Emi could possibly have done better.

Cooper had us sussed from the start and I have no doubt that the first two aspects of the above were a deliberate exploitation of perceived weaknesses
I'm hearing a lot of comments saying how Cooper "had us sussed" and how Cooper "out thought Emery" Now I don't want to take anything away from Forest, they were disciplined and physical and it did the job but to suggest Cooper gave Emery some kind of masterclass is blowing a lot of smoke up his ass. They packed the midfield and the penalty box and refused to be drawn out which was quite a compliment to how dangerous they saw us especially as they were the home side. A couple of goals which Emi would usually save made the scoreline quite flattering to them but it don't make Cooper a bloody genius.

I’d agree with this apart from Martinez and their first. He hit it very well and I was right behind it and there’s no way he was getting that.
They’d had a similar move not long before that and again midfield failed to go with the runner.
Our passing was ok and we still looked the better side by some way but as a coach you can’t be to blame for individual mistakes or by the delivery in the final third being so bad.
Fair enough you had the ideal view so I'm probably being harsh for the first goal. I've got used to Emi usually being brilliant and I expected too much there I suppose. I'm just a bit rattled by all the ott reactions to Coopers tactics. They were copybook Big Sam or Tony Pulis.

It’s tough to lose against a team like that but we’ve got to break them down. We moved the ball too slowly first half and our final ball in the second was poor. Not the end of the world and it’s an experience that will inevitably help us learn what we need to do. There’ll be a few games where teams play like this against us.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #336 on: November 06, 2023, 09:17:59 PM »
Their tactics were fine, they worked for them and they won. We just need to learn and work out how to get past that. Reality is when a team sets up like that conceding an early goal is a problem, conceding another just into the second half is fatal.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #337 on: November 06, 2023, 09:22:14 PM »
we play far to many balls backwards for me
I know we have to be more patient etc etc but it infuriates me the amount of times we play a safe ball to the defenders rather than progressing further up field

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2023, 12:21:36 AM »
We will play against more teams using the same tactics as Forest, we will find a solution, forests league position might be a bit misleading ,they have already played a lot of good teams away

Offline LeonW

« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2023, 06:18:37 AM »
I don’t think tactics Sunday were the problem, particularly considering our current personnel. The problem was that there were so many bad touches or fluffed lines at the crucial moment. The positions we got into were good enough to cause damage. What Sunday did tell us is that we don’t really have enough options to change things from the bench right now. Some of the walking wounded coming back will help but we need more.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
Both of our current set-ups (442 and 352) rely on full-backs as the main attacking outlet. Without Emi2 and Phil we have no natural 10 to change things around to a more traditional 4231 or 433. Teilemans is probably closest to that, but not at the level of either of those two on that position.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2023, 09:02:35 AM »
The team have been brilliant this season considering the preseason disruption, so I'll forgive them Sunday's blip.

It was basically a case of too many of our players off the boil, and Forest did a number on us - Cash especially, who I thought was 'blunt' going forwards and a total liability in defence. The one shining light is that Tielemans is starting to show a little glimmer of the player we thought we were signing when he has made his recent UECL and sub cameos - I can see him cementing one of those midfield spots before too long.... The question is, for who?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2023, 09:03:49 AM »
Yes, when Tielemans came on he made things move sharper and with more purpose. Based on form I'd start him instead of Zaniolo and Bailey and try to find a way for him to move inside as much as McGinn does.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2023, 09:52:40 AM »
Didn't get to watch or listen to this one as was being reluctantly dragged around the Trafford Centre looking for suits for our two boys (have a wedding to go to in Cornwall this weekend).

Whilst it is a disappointing result both Arsenal and Spurs dropped points too. We will get the odd result like that, but hopefully (and likely) it's an outlier.

Offline jon collett

« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2023, 10:26:30 AM »
It was just one of those days.

The way the ball slowed down for the first goal summed it up.

I remember being very excited about games at Oldham (FA Cup) and Blackburn (92/93) in the past and it just didn't go well for us and was hugely disappointing. But it didn't mean they weren't two of the most consistent Villa sides I have seen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal