collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cult Heroes of Villa Park - Jonathan Kodjia  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Cult Heroes of Villa Park - Jonathan Kodjia
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2023, 03:13:52 PM »
He got a worse injury later and missed the 92-93 season. If we'd have had him as part of that team it would have been interesting. Well that and the scumbags not getting their 'Fergie time' in the Sheff Wed home game.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2023, 04:18:26 PM »
He got a worse injury later and missed the 92-93 season. If we'd have had him as part of that team it would have been interesting. Well that and the scumbags not getting their 'Fergie time' in the Sheff Wed home game.

Also delivered courtesy of Bryan Robson

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 04:50:24 PM »
My mind goes all the way back to around Christmas 1990, and that wanker Bryan Robson chopping down a then at the height of his powers Tony Daley in full flight.
He was out for a while and I swear he was never the same player afterwards.

Was that in the game we beat them 3-0?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2023, 04:57:04 PM »
My mind goes all the way back to around Christmas 1990, and that wanker Bryan Robson chopping down a then at the height of his powers Tony Daley in full flight.
He was out for a while and I swear he was never the same player afterwards.

Was that in the game we beat them 3-0?

No, the year after at their place, think it was 1-1

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2023, 05:13:36 PM »
We visited New York in April this year and went into a bar to watch the Leicester game. Just before kick off JK walked in with his girlfriend/partner. He was decent enough to have photographs and seemed surprised anyone recognised him. He’d no idea the game was on and was a happy coincidence that made my lads day.

Online Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2023, 06:46:03 PM »
I remember some JK doing some mad skills and shoehorning in a sneeze in the middle of about 20 step overs...against someone like norwich I think. Pre covid fortunately.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2023, 06:50:33 PM »
Koj. Bert. Tammy. A season each, all legends. And that's a word I never bandy about. He lived in that stratum of the likes of Okocha and Trundle; mercurially blessed, but never quite being able to grasp greatness.

He made me not give up hope, and for that I'll forever be thankful.

Adomah had that one season where he went mad too. At about Christmas time he'd scored more goals than Blues.

I really like Kodjia, but struggled to recapture his form after the injury. Scored quite a few, especially as he quite often played out wide.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2023, 08:49:37 PM »

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2023, 08:58:40 PM »

Enjoyed that. Pity they're not in chronological order.

JK was the one bright spot of 16/17.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023, 10:34:28 PM »
16/17 doesn’t seem that long to me but watching that back, it suddenly seems an age ago. He was a really good player for us at that level, mainly before his injury. Three memories stand out for me.

I brought my son to his first match in 2014/15 when he was 4 (as an aside a 0-1 loss to a last minute Swansea goal, sums that period up), but his first kit was in 2016/17 and he had Kodja on the back, he’s 13 now and kept that top.

The penalty away at Rotherham when he came on as sub, was massively pressurised and arguably was hugely important in our ultimate promotion.

When Christ Brunt got sent off in the away leg of the play off semi, whatever Jimmy Danger did from the bench made me laugh at the time, if anyone can find the clip, fair play.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2023, 07:58:12 AM »
16/17 doesn’t seem that long to me but watching that back, it suddenly seems an age ago. He was a really good player for us at that level, mainly before his injury. Three memories stand out for me.

I brought my son to his first match in 2014/15 when he was 4 (as an aside a 0-1 loss to a last minute Swansea goal, sums that period up), but his first kit was in 2016/17 and he had Kodja on the back, he’s 13 now and kept that top.

The penalty away at Rotherham when he came on as sub, was massively pressurised and arguably was hugely important in our ultimate promotion.

When Christ Brunt got sent off in the away leg of the play off semi, whatever Jimmy Danger did from the bench made me laugh at the time, if anyone can find the clip, fair play.

He "dabbed" as Brunt crossed the sideline after being sent off. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2023, 05:05:08 PM »
Dabbed what ?

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2023, 09:15:06 PM »
Dabbed what ?

Apparently it’s something da kidz/yoot have been doing for a while.

From the dictionary

way of dancing that involves lowering your head and lifting both arms, one straight out to the side and one with the elbow bent:

I’m a pasty faced middle aged white bloke so haven’t a clue I’m afraid.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2023, 09:20:25 PM »
Dabbed what ?

Apparently it’s something da kidz/yoot have been doing for a while.

From the dictionary

way of dancing that involves lowering your head and lifting both arms, one straight out to the side and one with the elbow bent:

I’m a pasty faced middle aged white bloke so haven’t a clue I’m afraid.

Thats it, and now i remember it was funny because he was pointing Brunt to the dressing room. Maybe had to be there

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2023, 10:37:05 PM »
Loved Kodj.

That maverick player who had endless mazy dribbles, no awareness of who was alongside him but pretty often in 16/16 would come up with moment of magic to win a game so really the perfect forward for a Steve Bruce team.

Ultimately he had two bad injuries and became more of a bit part player and was pretty much done by time we went up but we've signed much worse in his position at both levels.

Who was that poster who couldn't stand him because he got one of those injuries playing for Ivory Coast? Bit like Bellingham getting a bad injury for England and some Real Madrid fan saying he should be sold immediately, was a very strange post at the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal