collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post-HAVING BEEN ON THE WRONG END OF THE FUNERAL ACTIVITY routine.  (Read 5517 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Post-HAVING BEEN ON THE WRONG END OF THE FUNERAL ACTIVITY routine.
« on: September 04, 2023, 09:34:34 AM »
What do you do in the aftermath of the rare occasion that we are the ones receiving the funeraling rather than carrying it out?

Some of mine are:

- if i didn't see the funeraling in question, I make a point of not watching it, not even our goals, not on telly, not on twitter, not at all. If it comes on whilst I am flicking channels, for example, I rapidly change channel again. So I haven't seen yesterday's goals, and nor shall I.

- absolutely no watching MOTD at all that weekend, not the Saturday or Sunday one, not even the other games.

- no consumption of any other football media such as televised games, web sites, papers, tv etc for at least three days

- no discussing the match with anyone other than on here (misery loves company) and occasionally my brother, but he follows similar roles so any discussion is kept short.

Something else that happens, which is not a rule so much as just something that always occurs, the morning after the day of the funeral, the instant I wake up, I find myself in a normal state of mind for up to around ten seconds, at which point I remember the funeral, and darkness descends.

Also, a follow up, related question, but does anyone else find watching our matches on telly way, way more stressful and nail-biting than actually being there?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:01:29 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Post-funeraling routine.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »
I don't watch MOTD but that's pretty much it.  I'm normally pretty grumpy for a bit.  I've nearly always seen the goals as I'm at home games and watch the vast majority of aways on iptv, although I'll switch off if it's a mauling.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 09:38:58 AM »
Depends how bad. Newcastle, football just didn't exist for a week. I literally didn't read the sports pages, barely came on here except for Off Topic, all of that. Yesterday (I don't hate Liverpool as much, nor are they as direct competitors, nor was the result as bad) I just hoped that Man Utd lost as the guys I watch the games with at the Irish Pub on Strada Nuova are both, how to put it, members of the Red International. Which they did, and I felt better.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 09:39:22 AM »
My routine pretty much exactly the same, including only maybe discussing it with my brother.

And yes to the follow up too, I was fairly sanguine stood watching the disaster unfold in front of me yesterday.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 09:41:33 AM »
Are we playing tomorrow? I've not seen or heard anything about our game at the weekend.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 09:42:42 AM »
I avoid it on the TV completely, but I still force myself to listen to the podcasts I usually do. It helps force me to confront it and move past it.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 09:43:50 AM »
At 3-0, I left the room and carried on re-building what seemed to be a never-ending supply of flat-packed furniture. Read the post-match thread about 8pm. Then headed straight to the Leicester born and bred (non-match going) Liverpool fan this morning at work.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 09:54:05 AM »
What do you do in the aftermath of the rare occasion that we are the ones receiving the funeraling rather than carrying it out?

Some of mine are:

- if i didn't see the funeraling in question, I make a point of not watching it, not even our goals, not on telly, not on twitter, not at all. If it comes on whilst I am flicking channels, for example, I rapidly change channel again. So I haven't seen yesterday's goals, and nor shall I.

- absolutely no watching MOTD at all that weekend, not the Saturday or Sunday one, not even the other games.

- no consumption of any other football media such as televised games, web sites, papers, tv etc for at least three days

- no discussing the match with anyone other than on here (misery loves company) and occasionally my brother, but he follows similar roles so any discussion is kept short.

Something else that happens, which is not a rule so much as just something that always occurs, the morning after the day of the funeral, the instant I wake up, I find myself in a normal state of mind for up to around ten seconds, at which point I remember the funeral, and darkness descends.

Also, a follow up, related question, but does anyone else find watching our matches on telly way, way more stressful and nail-biting than actually being there?

This is exactly my routine as well.  By about the Wednesday after the funeralling it is out of my system as a result.  And yes, watching us on TV, I feel physically sick.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 09:56:19 AM »
Definitely no MOTD in this house.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 10:06:09 AM »
I use a bit of other football to take my mind off it, I watched the ArseManure game on and off.
I struggle to watch any of the game though and yes watching on a dodgy stream is the most stressful thing you can do.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 10:22:10 AM »
It's good being here and not having any Japanese players. Not one mention of the game in the press, really.

Now, if Endo had scored, it'd be complete avoidance of technology for a week

Offline frank black

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2023, 10:24:09 AM »
I pretty much watch all our games. But for no particular reason, this one time. I carried in doing some work in the garden and shrugged when I checked the score periodically. I saved the pissed off feeling until later… I certainly wouldn’t watch MOTD.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2023, 10:44:46 AM »
I can't watch MoTD if we lose. I cleansed myself yesterday by listening to the Arsenal game. I find that if I put a bet on a game where I don't care who wins, the pain of defeat drifts away. Although my wife wondered why I was shouting 'get in!' as Arsenal got yet another corner yesterday.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 10:51:32 AM »
It doesn't really bother me as much as it used to in my younger years.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2023, 10:53:11 AM »
Great thread!  Yep, I'm the same as most on here.  All football related media is off limits for a few days, Villa podcast aside. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal