collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Value of our players - hypothetical  (Read 5199 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Value of our players - hypothetical
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 04:28:49 AM »
Kamara £40m? That gets 1/2 of him.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 04:35:01 AM »
TV has Watkins £65 million
Smirker £35 million.
We would snatch your hand off at  £65m and everybody would at£35m.
Shows how subjective this stuff is.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 06:20:01 AM »
If you could buy Watkins for £35m we'd be getting calls from half the clubs in Europe.

I'm not saying we'd sell for that but it's about right imo. If he wasn't our player and we were bidding that's what I'd say would be a fair amount. .

We paid £28m with £5m of potential add-ons (which one would assume we'll pay / have paid considering how well he's done) for a striker with one outstanding season in the Championship.

It's unlikely that forty Premier League goals later and being good enough to start for arguably all but one team in the league has added £2m to that value.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 06:20:13 AM »
I think you need to check out what other players are going for and have a re-think. And you’ve missed Kamara (£100m).

I'm not using other players as benchmarks. Plenty have gone for crazy money that was way too much for what they were getting, doesn't mean everyone else should be valued compared to that, just cos for example Maguire cost £80m doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculous and that Mings should be £60m. You could also use examples of shrewd buys to argue the other way for example Mac Allister to Liverpool for £35m.

Kamara - £40m
I tend to agree with Smirker here - one or two players might go for over the odds, but you're not selling a whole squad on inflated prices, generally they're going to be in the boring range of ... well, the sort of prices we'd pay for those players.

Anyway, I'd go with...

Martínez - £100m

Cash - £30m
Konsa - £25m
Mings - £25m
Torres - £35m
Carlos - £20m
Digne - £15m
Moreno - £25m

Chambers - £1m

McGinn - £40m
Douglas - £50m
Kamara - £40m
Tielemens - £20m
Ramsey - £50m
Diaby - £55m
Buendia - £30m
Coutinho - £5m
Bailey - £20m
Traore - £5m
Dendoncker - £10m

Watkins - £60m
Duran - £15m

.. Something that. Not that I think we would/should sell them at those prices, but if we were in a situation where we were actively trying to sell them (as oppose to them bring the centre of a bidding war) I'd guess that might be about where they were.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 07:30:43 AM »
You can have the lot for a billion quid.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 07:43:41 AM »
I'd agree with the lower values, nobody is going to come in and spend big money of Digne given his age and wages. Can't see anyone offering much for Carlos given his age, lack of game time and recent injury. When Mings is back he'll be 31 on a back of a bad injury.

We'd never get our money back on Buendia or Bailey either, I'd say £25m for Emi and £20m for Bailey we'd be doing well.

The trouble with spending big money in the Premier league is that there are very few teams who will also be willing to spend the same, other than the teams above or around us, and none of them are going to want Bailey for £40m

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 08:21:43 AM »
I'd agree with the lower values, nobody is going to come in and spend big money of Digne given his age and wages. Can't see anyone offering much for Carlos given his age, lack of game time and recent injury. When Mings is back he'll be 31 on a back of a bad injury.

We'd never get our money back on Buendia or Bailey either, I'd say £25m for Emi and £20m for Bailey we'd be doing well.

The trouble with spending big money in the Premier league is that there are very few teams who will also be willing to spend the same, other than the teams above or around us, and none of them are going to want Bailey for £40m

We would get £35-40 for Emi in the market now. The rest I agree. We have to think about what they are worth to us though, as well as what someone would pay.

I think Algy has it close, but I don't reckon we get less than £80m for Luiz or Kamara, and Diaby is £75m already at his age.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 08:27:26 AM »
That’s a good point goldenballs. Once a player makes the move to the PL the number of clubs that could buy him, unless on sale, reduces significantly. Less demand, lower prices.

In a weird way, this justifies occasionally flogging a good-un when a PL comes knocking and also the approach with archer etc because our commercial income alone is not enough to compete at the top.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2023, 08:38:44 AM »
I think trying to define the value of players is far too messy to just create an arbitrary list like this, every player has 2/3 different values and they can vary wildly and they lead to most of the disagreements.

People valuing Martinez at £100m are doing so on his value to us but that isn't what anyone would be willing to pay for him, which is a big part of why we haven't had any bids, those numbers are just too far apart. The other possible valuation is if there is something in contract clauses which is a big unknown.

Aside from that you get the weird valuations of players like Coutinho, £10m might be correct if we wanted to sell him to a European team but the rise in spending with Saudi and Qatari teams means we might be able to get far more, we're in a world where Liverpool got over £50m for Henderson and Fabinho, so £20-25m doesn't seem unreasonable. This is true for a few others as well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »
I think big European teams would be prepared to pay £100m for Martinez, there just aren't any that need a keeper that badly right now.

Offline Risso

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2023, 08:45:13 AM »
Oh and two people above have valued Konsa at £20m and £25m. Blimey, tell me where you're going to get a player half as good as him for that? He's worth £50m+ all day long.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 08:56:45 AM »
Fuck me. This is more mental than Liz Truss’ budget.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 09:00:50 AM »
You’ve pretty much undervalued 90% of the squad and you do have to take into account the cost other players are going for as that’s how the market works.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 09:02:04 AM »
I think big European teams would be prepared to pay £100m for Martinez, there just aren't any that need a keeper that badly right now.

Well yeah, so no one is currently willing to pay £100m for him.

We can use Doug as the example instead. On here we all believe he's at least on a par with Rice and Caicedo so will rate him accordingly but I doubt anyone who needs a player like him could afford that right now. This is how it will always be when it comes to players being sold who their club want to keep.

Offline Risso

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 09:09:58 AM »
They'd be willing to pay it if they needed a keeper of his ability.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal