collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:22:22 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Next Step Up.  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: The Next Step Up.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2023, 03:16:00 PM »
We've been patient for the past ten years.

All of our lives, surely. Some of us, anyroad.

I really doff my cap to those of you that have seen next to nothing to get excited about these 20 odd years and still stuck around. Us chosen few were lucky to have witnessed the Saunders years when winning was the norm, when a walk down Witton Lane or Trinity Road was a discussion of how many we would score and win by. Then there was traveling to away games where you paid on the gate.

The next step has to build strong foundations, not the crap people like MON built on quicksand. Winning cup finals rather than just being there to enjoy the day and make up the numbers. The Arsenal humiliation was probably the closest I ever came to jacking it all in. Yeah, you've had it rough but finally with the right leadership you may just get to see a real Aston Villa to be proud of. Bloody hell, you lot deserve it (as do I, obviously).

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2023, 03:17:50 PM »
The joy now is looking forward to every game, knowing we have a chance to win. We had that in the Championship, but this, this is fabulous.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2023, 03:38:02 PM »
The joy now is looking forward to every game, knowing we have a chance to win. We had that in the Championship, but this, this is fabulous.

I agree I really look forward to going to every game I'm an optimist so I'm over the moon with how we are playing.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2023, 04:03:21 PM »
Leicester 2 Villa 0 incoming !!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2023, 04:03:58 PM »
If Emery can work on coaching

Archer
A.Ramsey
Tim I

Then the need to spend on squad fillers will be greatly reduced.

Not sure where Guenduzi would play (as Kamara  / Luiz looks as good as anything in the league) but we do need to push J.Ramsey to get even better and replace Bailey with someone who really is world class

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »

True. Mad as it was, I loved the Championship. Loads of games and winning most. It's a lovely habit to have.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2023, 04:17:03 PM »
Getting into Europe or not will have a big impact on the summer window. Potentially 15 more games (more with added domestic cup runs).

If we do make it then our promising kids will be promoted to the first-team squad and rotated into the European games. This is good short and long term. I doubt we'll lose many others either. Having the option to start or bring on players like Phil and Bert in European games will be important. Also Sanson appears to doing a good job in France, but it may be too late for him already.

If we don't make it this season we'll lose a couple of the kids as well as a couple of more established players as they are replaced with upgrades.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2023, 04:18:12 PM »
Not sure where Guenduzi would play (as Kamara  / Luiz looks as good as anything in the league) but we do need to push J.Ramsey to get even better and replace Bailey with someone who really is world class

I was thinking that Guendouzi seemed an odd position for our (if reports were to be believed) main priority in January. Compared to wingers and strikers.

Then again, it was in the context of McGinn looking a bit slow and mediocre rather than the Scottish Lothar Matthaus that he seems to have turned into.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »
The obvious place to improve is someone to play with Watkins, whether as a striker as a winger. That is an open secret. I'd be amazed if we don't get Guendouzi too.

Out of the players who have played regularly, the vulnerable ones are Bailey, Konsa, the right backs and I'd say Emi Buendia may need to lift his game too.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2023, 04:27:50 PM »
I wouldn't rule-out Sanson completely, especially if we make Europe. Emery does like him but he knew the player needed to play regular football.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2023, 04:34:13 PM »
The next step up -  keep our manager.

Do whatever it takes to keep the vultures away in this current managerial roundabout frenzy.

The rest will fall into place.

Another reason why Emery is so ace, is that I’m not worried at all about him jumping ship before he’s achieved things (winning trophies) here.  He seems to ooze integrity, and that’s really impressive.  I honestly think he’s going to be ‘the one’.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2023, 05:31:27 PM »

True. Mad as it was, I loved the Championship. Loads of games and winning most. It's a lovely habit to have.

Bit of a stretch, that. Middle season, but not the other two. If you take the run out of the promotion season, we won 10 of 36. I was glad to see the back of it. Hated it.

Offline pelty

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2023, 06:28:45 PM »

Archer
A.Ramsey
Tim I

I was just talking to my son about this yesterday. The only thing I do not know about yet with Emery is how he does bringing players through the academy. These are the three I mentioned to my son as players I think ought to have the opportunity to come through and that, ultimately, we need to have a successful academy to achieve sustained success... unless and until we become so successful that the world's stars are throwing themselves at us for the opportunity to play regularly at Villa Park (and, even then, I still want a good academy and to bring players through!).

Has anyone examined Unai's past clubs with his youth policy in view?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2023, 06:57:50 PM »

Archer
A.Ramsey
Tim I

I was just talking to my son about this yesterday. The only thing I do not know about yet with Emery is how he does bringing players through the academy. These are the three I mentioned to my son as players I think ought to have the opportunity to come through and that, ultimately, we need to have a successful academy to achieve sustained success... unless and until we become so successful that the world's stars are throwing themselves at us for the opportunity to play regularly at Villa Park (and, even then, I still want a good academy and to bring players through!).
Has anyone examined Unai's past clubs with his youth policy in view?
At Arsenal he introduced Smith-Rowe, Saka and Martinelli to the first-team squad, IIRC.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2023, 06:58:47 PM »

Archer
A.Ramsey
Tim I

And, there's KKH, Reikhy, Bogarde and Feeney ... maybe

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal