collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.  (Read 797212 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.
« Reply #1950 on: June 01, 2023, 07:27:48 PM »
Didn't want him anyway, he's shit.

[ok, he's not but if he's not chosen us, then fuck him and onto the next one].

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1951 on: June 01, 2023, 07:52:57 PM »
We have to do it in stages.  Hoping for an Asensio, which was always unlikely to be fair, but being really competitive for players just below that level.  If we can pick up the 'best of the rest' type players and Unai coaches the bejesus out of them, we manage top 4 and even then some players will view us, like they will Newcastle, as a flash in the pan.  We still have to be patient.  We finished 7th, we have a world class coach and can be financially competitive but we are not a force yet, but will be.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1952 on: June 01, 2023, 08:19:09 PM »
Assensio is going to be very well paid whether he’s at Villa or PSG. I’d question his motivations if he choose PSG. He’d be playing in a lesser league and probably not be playing in the side in any consistent way. Plus he’d have to be at the whims of Mbappe and Neymar. I’d consider it a lucky escape for us. We need to ensure that we’re getting the right type of character as well as technical quality.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1953 on: June 01, 2023, 08:26:55 PM »
I’m not saying that we are a massively attractive option to someone like Asensio at the moment but I still can’t see why anyone in their prime would go to PSG
It’s just a load of rubbish

I know all the arguments about CL football but they also play in a league less competitive than the Scottish league and no ones interested in them really

Maybe it’s just me but if it’s not down to money I don’t get the pull

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1954 on: June 01, 2023, 08:28:00 PM »
To be honest unless you have a moral issue with Qatar most players would pick PSG over Villa right now. It’s not really an afront to us, it’s just a reflection of the relative position of the clubs.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #1955 on: June 01, 2023, 08:31:06 PM »
The problem with getting to the CL is signings such as that would help get us there, but you can't make the signings because the existing teams in it are more attractive options. It's a circular argument.

Newcastle managed it.

Once in a blue moon that happens it's not the norm

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1956 on: June 01, 2023, 08:31:29 PM »
To be honest unless you have a moral issue with Qatar most players would pick PSG over Villa right now. It’s not really an afront to us, it’s just a reflection of the relative position of the clubs.

Yeah I get that that’s why I said we weren’t an attractive option for him at the moment I was talking more generally about PSG

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1957 on: June 01, 2023, 08:31:32 PM »

You say that but PSG can be a black hole for talented players. Someone like Julian Draxler springs immediately to mind. Even Neymar I suspect regrets his decision to move from Barcelona. Will playing at PSG enhance his career? Not sure it will.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1958 on: June 01, 2023, 08:34:53 PM »
Yeah it absolutely can be, but a player who rates their own ability will probably back themselves to buck that trend. I’m not saying it’s the right decision, but for a player who has no connection to either club I can see why they might think PSG is the club to choose.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1959 on: June 01, 2023, 08:44:46 PM »
Yeah it absolutely can be, but a player who rates their own ability will probably back themselves to buck that trend. I’m not saying it’s the right decision, but for a player who has no connection to either club I can see why they might think PSG is the club to choose.

It’s also probably a case of backing their own ability but to do what? PSG will most likely win the league with or without Asensio. Possibly the French cup as well. He’ll play in the champions league yes, but PSG have been a basket case for a decade or so, so I can’t see them winning it any time soon. They couldn’t win it with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe in the same team. Does playing in the French league enhance his status as a Spanish regular in the national team? Again, not so sure.

I can see what you’re saying about the choice between the Villa and PSG. But at the same time, a player who backs themselves will think they can help Villa push into the champions league or win something that acquires greater significance than phoning in for a trophy.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1960 on: June 01, 2023, 08:49:51 PM »
Seen us linked to Barnes, would be happy with that. Also wouldn’t be turning my nose up at Tielemans on a free. Think Emery would improve him, and he is a good player already.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1961 on: June 01, 2023, 08:52:21 PM »
He's got a much better chance of winning the CL by playing for a club that...competes in the CL.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1962 on: June 01, 2023, 08:53:19 PM »

It’s also probably a case of backing their own ability but to do what? PSG will most likely win the league with or without Asensio. Possibly the French cup as well. He’ll play in the champions league yes, but PSG have been a basket case for a decade or so, so I can’t see them winning it any time soon. They couldn’t win it with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe in the same team. Does playing in the French league enhance his status as a Spanish regular in the national team? Again, not so sure.

I can see what you’re saying about the choice between the Villa and PSG. But at the same time, a player who backs themselves will think they can help Villa push into the champions league or win something that acquires greater significance than phoning in for a trophy.

I just think that is thinking too much like a fan. Yeah, we don't value PSG's title wins but they'll still be on his record and he'll still have solid chances to get to the semi-final of the CL regularly. I love disparaging state owned clubs but I know which one is more likely to go far in the CL. It's a bit like a footballing holiday, you can chill most of the time and just try for the European games. I can imagine that suits quite a few players, none more so than party boy Neymar.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:01:06 PM by edgysatsuma89 »

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1963 on: June 01, 2023, 08:59:36 PM »

Both could have won more

I just think that is thinking too much like a fan. Yeah, we don't value PSG's title wins but they'll still be on his record and he'll still have solid chances to get to the semi-final of the CL regularly. I love disparaging state owned clubs but I know which one is more likely to get far in the CL. It's a bit like a footballing holiday, you can chill most of the time and just try for the European games. I can imagine that suits quite a few players, none more so than party boy Neymar.

I’m very much in the quality VS quantity camp for trophies. That’s my wheelhouse. Like Roberto Mancini refusing to go to AC Milan and winning league titles with Sampdoria and Lazio. Or Totti winning the league and two coppa italia’s with Roma. Christ, even Jamie Vardy refusing to go to Arsenal and winning the league and FA Cup with Leicester. Worth more, mean more on the quality stakes.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1964 on: June 01, 2023, 09:02:43 PM »

Both could have won more

I just think that is thinking too much like a fan. Yeah, we don't value PSG's title wins but they'll still be on his record and he'll still have solid chances to get to the semi-final of the CL regularly. I love disparaging state owned clubs but I know which one is more likely to get far in the CL. It's a bit like a footballing holiday, you can chill most of the time and just try for the European games. I can imagine that suits quite a few players, none more so than party boy Neymar.

I’m very much in the quality VS quantity camp for trophies. That’s my wheelhouse. Like Roberto Mancini refusing to go to AC Milan and winning league titles with Sampdoria and Lazio. Or Totti winning the league and two coppa italia’s with Roma. Christ, even Jamie Vardy refusing to go to Arsenal and winning the league and FA Cup with Leicester. Worth more, mean more on the quality stakes.

Oh, I absolutely agree, 100%. I just don't think a lot players would think the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal