collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boxing 2023  (Read 25084 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Boxing 2023
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2023, 01:46:50 AM »
It was part he beat Cooper, part he always looked the, er, the part but never delivered when we were desperate for a world heavyweight champion, part that we loved gallant losers which he never was and part I suspect that he loved playing the pantomime villain.

Granted it's well before my time and I haven't done any particular research, but Cooper's popularity always slightly puzzled me. Not that I had/have anything against him, mind.

Basically, he was a good loser, a nice guy and he got cheated against Ali. Which he didn't, but that's another story. 

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2023, 01:54:46 AM »
It was part he beat Cooper, part he always looked the, er, the part but never delivered when we were desperate for a world heavyweight champion, part that we loved gallant losers which he never was and part I suspect that he loved playing the pantomime villain.

Granted it's well before my time and I haven't done any particular research, but Cooper's popularity always slightly puzzled me. Not that I had/have anything against him, mind.

Basically, he was a good loser, a nice guy and he got cheated against Ali. Which he didn't, but that's another story.

Oh really? I hadn't heard about the idea he was cheated by Ali. First fight or second?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2023, 02:08:43 AM »
First. He put Ali down, then at the end of the round there was a problem with Ali's glove. The myth grew that Angelo Dundee worked on a split that enabled the interval to be extended, allowing Ali time to recover and stop Cooper in the next round. The reality is that the glove was already split, it was never replaced and the interval was no more than seven seconds longer. 

Offline Rory

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2023, 02:15:56 AM »
First. He put Ali down, then at the end of the round there was a problem with Ali's glove. The myth grew that Angelo Dundee worked on a split that enabled the interval to be extended, allowing Ali time to recover and stop Cooper in the next round. The reality is that the glove was already split, it was never replaced and the interval was no more than seven seconds longer.

Wow, I hadn't heard that, thanks Dave. That's pretty desperate, particularly with some of the tricks going on in the 60s, like whatever Liston was putting on his gloves.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2023, 02:37:47 AM »

Wow, I hadn't heard that, thanks Dave. That's pretty desperate, particularly with some of the tricks going on in the 60s, like whatever Liston was putting on his gloves.

Angelo Dundee was a great trainer but he did like to embelish the truth. The fact is that Cooper was a decent enough heavyweight at European level but weighed in at around 13st 6, which wasn't big enough to trouble the top heavies of the time.

Offline Rory

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2023, 02:57:35 AM »

Angelo Dundee was a great trainer but he did like to embelish the truth. The fact is that Cooper was a decent enough heavyweight at European level but weighed in at around 13st 6, which wasn't big enough to trouble the top heavies of the time.

13st6, eh? I may be mistaken but I think Ali regularly weighed in under 16 stone before the draft bullshit.

Imagine that in the modern era. Not that I'm diminishing the greats whatsoever, but we currently have Usyk, who is 6ft3 and 220lbs being described as a 'middleweight'. Crazy.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2023, 09:06:43 PM »
Solomon Dacres from Warley about to go into the ring for the English heavyweight title.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2023, 09:10:11 PM »
And gets a very impressive second round stoppage.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2023, 10:15:47 PM »
Lyndon Arthur's on Channel 5 now, if anyone can be bothered.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2023, 10:37:30 PM »
It’s not the most exciting fight so far :-)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2023, 11:01:58 PM »
Phrase that never use nowadays but ‘fair play to Boris’ - just about saw the final bell :-) - think cagey is best word for the fight

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2023, 12:02:39 AM »
Arthur isn't the most exciting fighter but he can pull a big shot from nowhere.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2023, 09:36:43 PM »
Ben Whittaker returns to the ring on 6 May at the NEC.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »
I've just got in. Have I missed anything yet?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2023, 11:33:40 PM »
Laurence Okolie isn't exactly box office. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal