collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by mrfuse
[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Villa Park misfits – Alun Evans  (Read 2588 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
The Villa Park misfits – Alun Evans
« on: December 24, 2022, 09:59:02 PM »

Offline Allan C

Re: The Villa Park misfits – Alun Evans
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 10:06:53 AM »
I liked Alun Evans, I vaguely remember he came overweight and there was a thing in the Argus about Crowe getting him into shape. Great post really enjoyed reading it

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 10:25:34 AM »
Good stuff.
Enjoyed that.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 10:33:26 AM »
I liked Alun Evans, I vaguely remember he came overweight and there was a thing in the Argus about Crowe getting him into shape. Great post really enjoyed reading it

That's the point I was going to make about him, not what you would call an athletic player.  If he had come from any other team I don't think he would have been given as much slack as he was given in the eyes of our support.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 02:44:17 PM »
He always reminded me of Illya Kuryakin with longer hair.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 12:35:44 PM »
Fascinating tale, beautifully told, about an era of which my memories were vague.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »
I remember  he had a long scar on one side of his face. I'm sure there was a story as to how he came by it but can't  remember.  Someone  will probably know. I always thought he was a classy player but clearly didn't figure in Ron's long term plans.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 01:16:30 PM »
I remember  he had a long scar on one side of his face. I'm sure there was a story as to how he came by it but can't  remember.  Someone  will probably know. I always thought he was a classy player but clearly didn't figure in Ron's long term plans.

It's in the article.

Online KNVillan

• GM : 11,08,2024
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 01:16:55 PM »

As written in the article

Visiting a Wolverhampton nightclub for a quiet night out with his wife, a man Evans had never even met smashed a pint glass into his face. Almost seventy stitches needed inserting into the wounds and he was scarred him for life.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 03:30:19 PM »

Visiting a Wolverhampton nightclub for a quiet night out with his wife, a man Evans had never even met smashed a pint glass into his face. Almost seventy stitches needed inserting into the wounds and he was scarred him for life.

Did you really need to save him the bother of reading the article? People go to the trouble of writing in the hope that people might read it.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
When my kids were little they collected autographs.  My daughter badly wanted Gordon Cowans' autograph.  We waited by the players' exit gate. Alun signed her Panini book but my seven year old piped up that she really wanted Gordon's signature. Alan, in a very friendly way called to Gordon and said "Hey Sid, this little girl wants your autograph".  Gordon obliged but in his very mild manner said to Alun "My name is Gordon."

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 04:09:24 PM »
When my kids were little they collected autographs.  My daughter badly wanted Gordon Cowans' autograph.  We waited by the players' exit gate. Alun signed her Panini book but my seven year old piped up that she really wanted Gordon's signature. Alan, in a very friendly way called to Gordon and said "Hey Sid, this little girl wants your autograph".  Gordon obliged but in his very mild manner said to Alun "My name is Gordon."

Can’t imagine anyone wanting Sid’s autograph in Alun Evans time at the club. I think he’d left before Sid had even made his debut.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »
The glitch is because spellchecker put in the player to whom I refer as Alun Evans not Allan Evans who was definitely a team mate of Gordon Cowans.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »
The glitch is because spellchecker put in the player to whom I refer as Alun Evans not Allan Evans who was definitely a team mate of Gordon Cowans.

Yeah, the article’s about Alun Evans.

Online KNVillan

• GM : 11,08,2024
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 06:52:30 PM »

Did you really need to save him the bother of reading the article? People go to the trouble of writing in the hope that people might read it.

Sorry Percy…I was going to put down something along those lines as I thought he hadn’t bothered to read it in the first place, but I didn’t want to appear picky

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal