collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa related books  (Read 12535 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Villa related books
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 11:31:45 PM »
There might be another one soon.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2022, 08:12:57 AM »
When is Julian Joachim bringing out his? I mean they're all at it at this stage, but this fella would have some stories to tell. He was still banging them in for Aslockton & Orston as recently as 2019 #theloveofthegame #watchandlearnflabbyagbonlahor
It's already out

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2022, 08:52:27 AM »
Got to say so many good books which have come out  in the last 10 years, Book of the 70's and Book of the 80's - the European one which Colin Abbott has brought out not so long ago, the 3rd Division book, a couple of European ones, Brassnecks one and Andy Dale's story of the 1981 season.  That is before some really good former players books.

We are really spoilt for choice book wise. 

I  know  the publication is starting to get rarer but one book I would always look out for is the First Hundred Years you can still pick a copy up ad hoc on email or amazon - was my first Villa Book and a really good read. -  off the top of my head and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (can't be bothered going next door to check) but the author is Peter Morris.  Book was published in 1974

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »
Big Ron's first biography was better than "The Manager."

Paul McGrath, Brian Little and Garry Thompsons bios are very good. I found Tony Daleys a little dull.

Mr Woodhall's From One Season to the Next is a great book. The review books are very good as well.

Ticket to the Moon is great.

Rob Bishops 10 Greatest Premier League Villa Players is a good book.

From One Season To the Next it's a brilliant read.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »
My comments on the Arsenal Santa Claus game are included in From one season to the next. My family have never allowed me to forget the grammatical error at the start of my contribution. Still, nice to published.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »

I  know  the publication is starting to get rarer but one book I would always look out for is the First Hundred Years you can still pick a copy up ad hoc on email or amazon - was my first Villa Book and a really good read. -  off the top of my head and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (can't be bothered going next door to check) but the author is Peter Morris.  Book was published in 1974

The Peter Morris book I own (it was a gift from one of the aforementioned family members) was published in 1962 and has the title "Aston Villa- The history of a great football club 1874-1961"

I think the original version was published in 1960 but there have been updates since, presumably up to 1974 like your copy. Whichever version you can get hold of, it is an essential record of our glory years when they were just about in living memory. Albert Evans from the double side was still alive when my copy was published.

The Complete Record books are also essential, although I don't think the latest version is as good a production as the previous one.

A book I enjoyed in my childhood was "The Great Years of Aston Villa" which gave game by game statistics of seasons when we won honours. Included 81 and 82 I think.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Tony Daley has his autobiography out as well. I met him in Truro a month ago and he was such a nice genuine chap.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »
Tony Daley has his autobiography out as well. I met him in Truro a month ago and he was such a nice genuine chap.

Book I am reading at the moment.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
When is Julian Joachim bringing out his? I mean they're all at it at this stage, but this fella would have some stories to tell. He was still banging them in for Aslockton & Orston as recently as 2019 #theloveofthegame #watchandlearnflabbyagbonlahor
It's already out

Shut the front door! Hook me up, bruh'.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »
Got to say so many good books which have come out  in the last 10 years, Book of the 70's and Book of the 80's - the European one which Colin Abbott has brought out not so long ago, the 3rd Division book, a couple of European ones, Brassnecks one and Andy Dale's story of the 1981 season.  That is before some really good former players books.

We are really spoilt for choice book wise. 

I think it's the 1974 edition that contains that glorious passage about the author meeting Pongo Waring. It should be immortalised somewhere in the stadium for all to see...

The door to the lavishly appointed Guest Room at Villa Park was open and out in the corridor the little boys, dodging the commissionaire, were calling for Brian Little and John Gidman. Quite rightly, they took no notice of myself and the elderly bald-headed man, bespectacled, stooping a little, who was quietly finishing his tea. He looked over at them for a moment, a whimsical look, and moved to the long window overlooking the now deserted playing pitch.

"Every time you come here it must bring back memories Pongo," I said. He stared out for a long while. I thought he'd forgotten I was there. "Aye", he said suddenly "aye, they're a great club...the greatest." I stood and looked with him, this old man whose goals had set the Villa crowds roaring so long ago. It was not quite dusk on that March afternoon and I saw them too...they were out again, the old ghosts...Jack Hughes, scorer just about one hundred years earlier of Aston Villa's first goal (perhaps to the very day)...George Ramsay...the Hunter brothers...Willie McGregor...Denny Hodgetts...legion upon legion of them on parade now, filling the field with claret and blue...the century with pride.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2022, 04:29:40 PM »
You're not wrong Eamonn.

That's really quite lovely.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »

Book I am reading at the moment.

What do you think? I was disappointed.  Went on about training more than what went on in games I thought.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2022, 11:36:34 AM »
Daley is a fitness coach so he's probably brought too much of that shite into it. I'd prefer to hear his thoughts about how he felt at away grounds tearing down the touchline within earshot of all manner of cvnts hurling abuse at him.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2022, 11:41:02 AM »
He could also hear the Villa fans shouting Goo on Tone! Goo on! Goo on! This might have drowned out the ******.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2022, 11:44:02 AM »
He could also hear the Villa fans shouting Goo on Tone! Goo on! Goo on! This might have drowned out the ******.

Skin him Tone, skin him!

At the Vila, the ball arriving at his feet was always met with the clatter of seats being cleared of arses in the Trinity Rd.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal