collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The dark arts  (Read 4029 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The dark arts
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 09:29:34 PM »
I want us to be the most hated team in the world.

why ?

Because successful teams always are.

maybe so but the way the football world is now don't think anything will break that monopoly that the big teams hold in terms of financial clout

can you see villa being a force in the prem and qualifying for europe every season for the next 5 years ?

obviously its nostalgic looking back

If Newcastle can do it we certainly can. 

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 11:13:02 PM »

why ?

maybe so but the way the football world is now don't think anything will break that monopoly that the big teams hold in terms of financial clout

can you see villa being a force in the prem and qualifying for europe every season for the next 5 years ?

It's a really good question.

I think it's possible, I don't think it's easy though. The dice are very much stacked in favour of teams who are already in Europe (far more so than the last time either of our teams were in it!), and even more so in favour of the ones that are in the Champions League (and on top of that, ones that *do well* in the CL).

All that said - Leicester did it against all odds. It's possible, even if it's highly unlikely.

I dunno, next 5 years - if it's going to happen at all, we'll need to qualify for Europe in that period. More than once. Personally I think Champions League football is at least 5 years away and probably more than that. I'm far from convinced that Newcastle will do it this season. They're doing alright now, but it's less than half a season played & sides that have been stuttering - Liverpool, Manc Utd - could well kick in to gear after the break.

Online Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2022, 12:11:27 AM »

why ?

to do a leicester will never happen again

I think it's possible, I don't think it's easy though. The dice are very much stacked in favour of teams who are already in Europe (far more so than the last time either of our teams were in it!), and even more so in favour of the ones that are in the Champions League (and on top of that, ones that *do well* in the CL).

All that said - Leicester did it against all odds. It's possible, even if it's highly unlikely.

I dunno, next 5 years - if it's going to happen at all, we'll need to qualify for Europe in that period. More than once. Personally I think Champions League football is at least 5 years away and probably more than that. I'm far from convinced that Newcastle will do it this season. They're doing alright now, but it's less than half a season played & sides that have been stuttering - Liverpool, Manc Utd - could well kick in to gear after the break.

Online Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 12:12:08 AM »

why ?

to do a leicester will never happen again

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2022, 02:03:47 AM »

I'd like us to be hated either for battering everyone, or out of delusional bitterness (like how Newcastle or Leeds feel about us - because that is amusing).

I won't slag us, because I'm aware that I am naive. I'll trust the players and manager to achieve results as they see fit, but I'd still rather we play the game the right way.

I don't like it when other teams waste time, dive or hassle the referee, and I don't like it when we do.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
If the dark arts need to be applied strategically to help us win trophies and pick up points, I'm all in.  How many times over the years has it happened to us?  It's part of the game, it's what winning clubs do.  The ideal is to be able to mix it up, play great football and shithouse.

Online The Edge

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2022, 01:53:34 PM »
One of the best examples I remember of shithousery getting results was against Liverpool at Villa Park a good few years ago.1-0 up and they snatch a late equaliser which was bad enough. Into injury time and Gerrard drives forward and throws himself to the ground 25 yards out. He immediately gets into the face of the referee snarling and yelling for a free kick. The referee obliged and up stepped Mr Gerrard to smash it into the net for the winner. Cue pandemonium in their end. They couldn't give flying fuck about our feelings of being totally robbed. I saw a Red scum supporting pal the next day and told him what I thought of that cheating bastard Gerrard. He shrugged his shoulders and said something I've never forgotten "that's what winner's do" It would seem Gerrard started the process of instilling that into our players and Unai is going to take it to the next level by the looks of it. We've been on the receiving end of shithousery for years so if that's what it takes then so be it and fuck em all. It's what winner's do.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2022, 02:01:12 PM »
One of the best examples I remember of shithousery getting results was against Liverpool at Villa Park a good few years ago.1-0 up and they snatch a late equaliser which was bad enough. Into injury time and Gerrard drives forward and throws himself to the ground 25 yards out. He immediately gets into the face of the referee snarling and yelling for a free kick. The referee obliged and up stepped Mr Gerrard to smash it into the net for the winner. Cue pandemonium in their end. They couldn't give flying fuck about our feelings of being totally robbed. I saw a Red scum supporting pal the next day and told him what I thought of that cheating bastard Gerrard. He shrugged his shoulders and said something I've never forgotten "that's what winner's do" It would seem Gerrard started the process of instilling that into our players and Unai is going to take it to the next level by the looks of it. We've been on the receiving end of shithousery for years so if that's what it takes then so be it and fuck em all. It's what winner's do.
Was that the postage stamp top corner free kick after his copyrighted starfish impression dive? Tbh, I have always despised Gerrard for stuff like that. I despise him even more after his failure at Villa, but that starfish impression made me want to bitch slap his tiny little turnip headed bonce, even when he did it against other clubs…

Online The Edge

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2022, 02:11:22 PM »
Was that the postage stamp top corner free kick after his copyrighted starfish impression dive? Tbh, I have always despised Gerrard for stuff like that. I despise him even more after his failure at Villa, but that starfish impression made me want to bitch slap his tiny little turnip headed bonce, even when he did it against other clubs…
That's the one.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »
That's the one.
I can’t even begin to describe the fury I felt after that, lol… Especially as most of my mates down in Devon are Liverpool “fans”. Because why wouldn’t you support a club from the opposite end of the country that you have zero affiliation with that just so happen to be one of the most successful. The amount of grief I got from happy clapping day trippers who rarely go as far North as Exeter was immeasurable.

Online Paul.S

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
We’ll definitely get 10x more yellow cards than Man City did when they continually fouled us at Villa Park and will get less sympathy from refs than Chelsea did for dropping to the floor every few minutes. The booking for Martinez against Utd was pathetic and a sign of things to come.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »
I remember that Liverpool one even being mocked on MOTD. One of the pundits said something along the lines of "it seems it's now a freekick if you run into a stationary Bulgarian".

Online The Edge

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2022, 06:05:03 PM »
That's the one.
I can’t even begin to describe the fury I felt after that, lol… Especially as most of my mates down in Devon are Liverpool “fans”. Because why wouldn’t you support a club from the opposite end of the country that you have zero affiliation with that just so happen to be one of the most successful. The amount of grief I got from happy clapping day trippers who rarely go as far North as Exeter was immeasurable.
Well no one can accuse you of being a glory hunter!  Hopefully in years to come and we've won loads of trophies you will be called a glory hunter and you can come back and say "bollox" I was going to Villa Park way before we became the biggest club in Europe/the world. 

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2022, 08:55:28 PM »
 ;D I was born & raised 3 miles from the ground. Moved to Devon aged 11. Lived a similar distance when I came back to Birmingham after Uni & was a season ticket holder. Only came back down due to the missus missing her home.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 08:57:00 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 07:55:47 AM »
;D I was born & raised 3 miles from the ground. Moved to Devon aged 11. Lived a similar distance when I came back to Birmingham after Uni & was a season ticket holder. Only came back down due to the missus missing her home.
Why don't you come back and paint the bridge?.............

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal