collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0-2 Chelsea post match thread  (Read 19555 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Aston Villa 0-2 Chelsea post match thread
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2022, 08:30:13 AM »
Zat Knight was a likeable guy, but I couldn't get over the fact we got him and got rid of Cahill.

Always remember him scoring against Arsenal, lovely moment

Wasn't it Chelsea at home? Unless I'm remembering a different game. I think he either got the winner or equaliser.

On his debut I think. Just after being released on bail.

Deserves more credit than he seems to get on here. Very competent player. Spent 10/12 seasons as a Premiership player. 2 England caps. And Villa was his boyhood club.

We played Fulham not long before he was signed, and the following morning he was jogging around our Sunday League pitch on Grange Rd in Erdington, his mom lived over the road

I always liked him, and he played in one of the better Villa sides of my 40 years or so following us

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2022, 08:49:51 AM »
Zat Knight was a likeable guy, but I couldn't get over the fact we got him and got rid of Cahill.

Always remember him scoring against Arsenal, lovely moment

Wasn't it Chelsea at home? Unless I'm remembering a different game. I think he either got the winner or equaliser.
Both. Got the second goal both times. But he was another terrible part of O'Neill's defensive collection.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2022, 10:32:09 AM »
A profit in 2021? The Grealish money was all spent on the three stooges.

I think it was Grealish £100m plus Engels £5m
Buendia £38m, Bailey £30m, Ings £25m
So about £12m profit, and then I think we got a bit more for Grealish when the fuckers won the league.
I’m by no means saying they’re bad owners Eamonn, and they have spent a bit this calendar year again but as others have said it’s not really been in line with the supposed ambitions. I’d sooner have a good manager and team first before we start messing with the stadium. We still haven’t finished in the PL top half since 2011.
I’ll forever be grateful for them pulling us out of the shit and regaining our PL status but you get a bit fed up of hearing how we’re aiming for the stars and then seeing shite out on the pitch every week. They really badly need to get the next manager right, if the reports about Poch are true tonight it gets my vote.

We were all grateful when Lerner saved us from Ellis, and that went sour when he stopped spending money.

I think with Lerner, we just all got excited about such a rich owner coming in at that time, we saw what Abramovich had done at Chelsea and thought we'd be getting the same treatment. We had a fair stab at it but then Man City got bought by considerably richer owners and showed him how it was done. My problem with Lerner is how long he just seemed to hang on, waiting until we'd really dropped into the shit before deciding to release us. It's pretty clear he'd given up in 2011 when he hired McLeish.
As much as i know Doug was unpopular with many, it wasn't anything like the situation we were in summer 2018, financially we were proper fucked at that point.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2022, 10:40:10 AM »
Point of order - Ellis himself admitted that if the Petrov signing hadn't been underwritten by Lerner it could have sent us into administration.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
Point of order - Ellis himself admitted that if the Petrov signing hadn't been underwritten by Lerner it could have sent us into administration.
I did not realise that he/we were in financial difficulty at that time.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »
Didn't we sell off a chunk of land to keep things ticking over?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2022, 11:12:24 AM »
Didn't we sell off a chunk of land to keep things ticking over?

The Serpentine.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2022, 11:14:07 AM »
Yes, i wasn't aware of that either.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2022, 12:38:20 AM »
Villa's equaliser against Fulham was deemed to be an own goal by...Zat Knight!! Great work, Agent ZK!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal